• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After XP upgrade, 60gig hd is now 30gig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UPSteve

Registered
I just upgraded a Win98 to XPhome. Prior to doing this I installed a slave hardrive to be used to store music. After I installed it, win98 recognized it as a 60gig harddrive. After I did the XP upgrade it is now recognized as a 30gig harddrive. I double checked the jumpers on the hardrive and they are fine. I attempted numerous disk formats, changing file systems from fat32 to NTFS and back again. Any help would be appreciated.

I had previously used this HD in ide raid, but when I installed and formatted in win 98 everything looked ok. The harddrive is an IBM deskstar. Thanks

-Steve

See if this is your problem:
You cannot format a volume larger than 32 gigabytes (GB) in size using the FAT32 file system during the Windows XP installation process. Windows XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB by using the Format tool during Setup. If you need to format a volume that is larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system to format it. Another option is to start from a Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup disk and use the Format tool included on the disk.

Not that this is going to fix the problem, but you can check to see if XP is actually seeing the full drive (which it should).

• Right-click "My Computer"
• Select "Manage" and in the left hand pane look for "Disk Management" (or something similarly named"

This'll give you a picture of what physical drives and what partitions Windows is seeing; thus you can see how XPs seeing your 60gig.

As far as fixing the problem goes. Partition Magic's always been good to me. In the future, try to stay away from upgrading any version of Windows. Sounds lame, I know. Upgrading Windows is kind of like a sex change: sure it might look right and for the most part it functions the way it should. But there's always something screwy going on under the hood and who knows what surprises you'll be in store for in the future.

Back