• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

unable to install xp ei8 or enable automatic downloads

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dabluenog

I'm a Newbie.
XP sp1a w/ sp3 update
AMD athlon xp 3000+I'm a Newbie.
XP sp1a w/ sp3 update
AMD athlon xp 3000+
Abit VA-10 ver1.2 MOBO
2gb Ram
IE6
Where to start?
when I had my system (XP SP3) up and running prior to a xp sp1 recovery console repair I noticed that I couldn't find McAfee AntiVirus (TimeWarner RR), which was installed and working prior. RR support took access of my PC and attempted to remove CA Firewall that was installed & removed(?) 1 yr prior using the uninstall tool downloaded from CA (1 hr). I was told to reinstall McAfee - attempted & attempted & ... I kept getting an error about an issue w/ McAfee security platform (shrtcut icon kept searching for mcagent). I then contacted McAfee which resulted in a 6hr session that had a level 2 tech on my computer playing with my registry. He finally gaveup and told me that All I had to do was uninstall CA Firewall and reinstall McAfee which didn't work (when I later contacted McAfee inquiring where the level 2 tech had saved my registry backup prior to making any changes, all that I received for an answer was that McAfee could resolve my problem (100 % guaranteed) for $120.
I had done scans for malware/viruses using Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10, TDSSKiller, MalwareBytes, MS Safety Live, Viper, etc with nothing found. Also, I was not able to start in SAFEMODE - only the BSOD w/ error STOP:0x0000007B.
I now believe that some of the problems were caused by the fact that my 40gb harddrive was 95% full (AHHH, Hindsight)
Ok, so here's what I have done since:
XP Recovery Console repair - recover from a corrupt registry Part 1 (MS article KB307545):
At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak
delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default
copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default
Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart

Installed SP3 update
Cloned my 40gb HD to a 100gb HD and installed as master HD
needed to enable my onboard adapter in Bios even w/ failsafe settings - device manager had my network adapter hidden
I can now startup in SafeMode
I have not been able to update/install Internet Explorer 8 (error during install), I can't turn on/enable on my Automatic Updates
(using the automatic update console), The system showed my CPU as being 1.3ghz (actually is AMD 2.1Ghz - I changed the DEC to 13 and now is displaying correct CPU info), when trying to use MS FixIt I get an error PLEASE set registry key HKML\softeware\microsoft\.NetFramed\installRoot to point to the .Net Framework install location. wHen I attempt to install .Net Frameworks 2.0 I get error 25007 - "error when intializing fusion Setup could not load fusion w/ loadlibraryShim(). Error" - have seen other message in past referring to another install initiated.
There is probably more that I'm omitting, but this is a start.
Any ideas???? THANKS

Back