• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Random Crashes even after "Reset this PC"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I thought you meant Adobe Flash. Youtube dropped Flash a while ago I think and now uses HTML5. But that isnt relevant to why your vids arent playing correctly. Depending on your GPU you may be using a default driver. Nvidia is pretty much plug and play but AMD needs a little love. This is probably extremely fixable but i wouldn't bother unless you are going to actually install Mint to your system (in which case the installer will auto-magically choose the correct driver and you should be fine). You can still run any of the stress testing from the Live USB.

Given that the crashes are intermittent and you cant replicate them at will.... I would try stressing the system to generate a crash. Once you are confident that the hardware isnt the issue then it is time to look back at your Windows install. First try rolling back your GPU driver and if you still crash then perhaps a reinstall is in order. That is the route I would have to take on my system. Keep us posted and let us know how you get it solved.

Ok so I downloaded the GPU test and when I clicked on the app it just ran a multicoloured triangle win windows mode. Then I read the readme and used "sh ./start_tessmark_benchmark_fullscreen_1920x1080.sh" which ran fine and ended. I tried "sh ./start_furmark_windowed_1024x640.sh" but that didn't work at all. It just gave me some error saying it couldn't find that or something.
I tried to get mprime from the software manager but couldn't find it. So I downloaded Prim95 website and that app didn't run. In the instructions, it's telling me to register and create an account then use some command lines.
Even though Linux is more lightweight and cleaner I can definitely see why most people still use Windows. Because the average user wants a simple GUI not to be reading through readmes for lines to type in terminal lol

On the plus-side the flash issue seems to have fixed itself. Videos play fine now, I checked several websites :)

Last edited:
Even though Linux is more lightweight and cleaner I can definitely see why most people still use Windows. Because the average user wants a simple GUI not to be reading through readmes for lines to type in terminal lol

On the plus-side the flash issue seems to have fixed itself. Videos play fine now, I checked several websites :)

I feel your pain with this. It was worth it for me because I had a real growing dislike for windows and an empty pocketbook. I find searching about windows errors to be a joy all of its own as well :D

But I can help a little with the other issues you were having. Flatpaks are a distro agnostic containerized programs/utilities that run in a kind of sandbox (this explanation is vastly simplified, you can read more about it on your own if you like). I am not certain but i think there might even be Flatpak support for Windows.

Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
Code:
 sudo apt-get install flatpak
Edit:Actually I guess flatpak is already installed on Mint so you can ignore this part

Here is the flathub page for mprime: There is a link at the bottom of the page that shows how to double check if you have flatpak correctly and the terminal commands to install mprime.

Here is a list of all the available flatpaks so far and This one is another cpu stress test.

As for the gpu: This link gives much better step-by-step instructions for how to install and use glxgears, how to interpret the results and how to use the Unigine GPU benchmarks (Heaven, Valley, Superposition, etc) to test your gpu. Note that the Unigine page wants the proprietary drivers installed, but they probably already are. this post at the Mint forums give a good idea of how to check your drivers and a couple other tidbits that you might find useful

And with that good sir, I will stop trying to force feed you linux stuff. I hope your hardware is alright, whichever OS you use as your daily driver :D

Edit: One more link for the flatpak stuff. Just some basic usage stuff https://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/using-flatpak.html

Last edited:
Yea thanks for your help...but if I knew it was going to take this long I would have actually reinstalled Windows to begin with. Because that would tell us if it's Windows or hardware and it will be a lot faster than me reading through and learning all these things lol I was hoping there would be actual software I could simply install and run on Mint to test my CPU and GPU like in Windows. But this is clearly taking FAR longer than simply reinstalling Windows.

Last edited:
Tbh I should have read a little more on how mint works before making the suggestion. Mprime is in the repos for the distro I use and installs with one command in the terminal. I did a bad thing by assuming it would be the same in Mint without checking.

Random crashes are either bad drivers or physical. Power supply, memory, video card, hard drive, in that order.

First thing to do is install a separate HD with minimal operating system and run memchk for 48 hours. If it doesn't crash then its not memory or the cpu.

Swap out the power supply and try again with your original hard drive. If it doesn't crash, then its the PS.

Continue swapping components until you find the one that causes the problem. If none of that works, then you can suspect the motherboard. It's possible you overclock has gone bad, but that should be picked up by memchk which will crash.

Well I reinstalled Windows after formatting the disk and it didn't crash at all for the first day, where I used it for like 10 hours at least. But on the second day I started getting crashes again.
So I guess it's the hardware? Your advice about swapping out components and using the process of elimination is the way to go. Unfortunately, that means I will have to take it to a repair shop.
Even though I can do all that very easily I don't have spare HDs, cpus, motherboards, power supplies etc In fact I don't think most people would have spare components for their system like that lol

there are things you can do first. 1). remake a brand new install USB and make certain that your download is good. Trust me this has worked for me before. Perhaps times have changed, but blips in the iso used to be common on my connection and would cause stress in the OS. Also make sure to give your drive a full reset before the fresh install

2) if that doesn't help then check the stats on your drives to make certain you don't have any bad sectors.

3) run memtest86+ for ad long as you can stand it. The longer the better for finding issues.

I think problems in the gpu and cpu would present directly while being stressed, so I'm just gonna give those components a hesitant stamp of "OK enough for now"

If you shop around for an independent shop, you may find one that will loan you parts for troubleshooting. A local shop that I go to has sold me parts with a guarantee of taking them back at the end of the day after I run my tests. Kind of like the autoparts loaner programs. Hopefully you can find something like that

What do you mean by "give your drive a full reset" before the fresh install? I did a format...and installed Windows which I downloaded from the official Microsoft website put on a USB with Rufus. Also, I live in a third world country where the only thing people will loan you is water lol Seriously junior techs who work in these independent pc repair shops get paid like $110 a month. And they will get paid on time if they are lucky. Someone who can afford it will buy the store or rent it then pay some techs who have very few options to basically do all the work for a low wage.

What do you mean by "give your drive a full reset" before the fresh install? I did a format...and installed Windows which I downloaded from the official Microsoft website put on a USB with Rufus.

This is what I mean by full reset I suggest using 'clean all' instead of just 'clean' I have found that formatting isn't quite good enough sometimes. Formatting will do the trick most of the time, but atleast in the days of WindowsXP and 7, there were times when you had to give it a little extra time and run it through a clean. Clean all goes pretty quick on modern drives (ssd and better) but will take ages on an old spinner.

Well that looks like you can do from within Windows to another HD. Can't really do it to the same one you have Windows running on. Either way, I don't think this is an issue with my HD. By the way, you can see my hardware below my posts. So we're talking about SSDs. And according to CrystalDiskInfo the windows drive and game drive seems to be in good condition. This seems to happen more often when I'm playing a game. Is there no one who knows how to read "event logs" to narrow down what the issue is? This is why I posted event logs in the first place. Here is the CrystalDiskInfo of my drives. First is the Windows drive and the second is the game drive.
MainDrive.jpg GameDrive.jpg

There is a free program called "WhoCrashed" that will analyze event logs for you. But realize that event logs are not always helpful because of the interconnectedness of all the hardware and it's drivers and the hardware components themselves. To draw and analogy, the leak in the roof is not always directly above the wet spot in the ceiling or the pain in your leg is not necessarily caused by a problem in your leg, but in your spine instead.

I think this program only lets you analyze memory dumps not event logs. Because it detected some crashes from last month but can't detect a crash that happened a few minutes ago which I can see in Event Viewer.
And according to the program, one of the crashes said "Bug check description: This indicates that the video scheduler has detected a fatal violation. The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time"
And another indicated it is a Nvidia driver crash. But I got the latest drivers.

I'm really confused about this issue. Yesterday it basically ran without crashing but today it crashed twice within 1 hour.

I guess there's no way to solve this issue without taking it to a shop and literally swapping out all components? :-/
Like there is no way to even narrow it down with the event logs?

Back