• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Random Crashes even after "Reset this PC"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

On_Point

Hi guys, so I started having random crashes which would usually happen when I'm in a game or sometimes when I'm browsing. Initially I thought this was to do with a new windows update, because in Event Viewer there was always errors about Windows Security not being able set Comodo as my antivirus and firewall. After updating and windows security I still kept getting the crashes. The crash may actually be related to video becuase my display would turn off but if I was watching a video the audio would actually keep playing in the background for a while.

Either way I ended up using "Reset this PC" feature and even chose to delete all my data and for a fresh installation. This time around I didn't even install Comodo. I just stuck with Windows antivirus & firewall. At first the crashes seemed to be gone but they have sinse come back. I was hoping someone knew how to understand Event Vewier errors to get an idea of whats cuusing this.

So here is a screnshot of the crash in Event Viewer and also a copy of Administrative Events. The crash was around 22:02
I had to upload the Event Viewer copy here because OC doesn't let me upload evtx file type for some reason.
https://gofile.io/?c=HPQkZY
I just hope out there know how to underststand these errors and have some idea what's causing the crashes...:comp:

Untitled.jpg

Couple comments: If you're using a 'sleep' mode, turn it off and use a 'power down/off' mode.

Possible failing power supply. Have you added or changed any hardware? What were you doing when the error occurred?

These are just guesses.

Couple comments: If you're using a 'sleep' mode, turn it off and use a 'power down/off' mode.

Possible failing power supply. Have you added or changed any hardware? What were you doing when the error occurred?

These are just guesses.

I have sleep option when I click the "Power button" in the start menu. But I hardly ever use that. I mainly use "shut down".
And I have "Put the computer to sleep" set to "Never"
I did change my RAM and GPU sinse the PC was built but it was working fine for a good part of a year sinse those changes.
I think the first issue where I started getting windows notifications saying "Windows security could not set X as firewall and Y as antivirus started after I used Windows 10 Update Assistant to get an update which kept failing in normal windows update. A lot of people seemed to be having that update issue too...where it would get to like 88% and fail. The only solution I found after trying many things was to ue the Update Assistant. This is why I decided to use "Reset this PC" and even get rid of my data hoping it would give me a fresh start.

Is the system overclocked?

The system is overclocked but the overclock has been working fine for years. I even tried restoring settings to "optimized defaults" in the BIOS and still got this crash. Although idele temps do seem to be higher than when I initially built the system. I actually turned the overclock down from 4.6 to 4.4 a while ago because I was worried about idle temp increase.

idle temps.png

Last edited:
50c at idle ? Are you sure your cooler is working properly ?

How do I check? I have a Corsair Hydro Series H60 2013 Edition. Which I bought in 2013...I have put some more thermal paste several months ago but I wasn't sure if the paste was out of date or somethng becuase it did feel quite thick.

It just happened again and all I was doing was watching YouTube and browsing Google images. So I don't think the issue is related to overheating, although I am worried about the high idle temps. Here is the Event Log. https://gofile.io/?c=zkieUX :screwy:

While load temps are more relevant than idle temp, 50c is out there for idle. What are your temps while browsing, watching video, etc.? Windows 10 always has a bunch of stuff going on in the background (All Windows OS do, but my W10 installs seem to be busier than earlier builds). Your AIO has a finite lifespan, and I would have put it at about 5 years. If your temps are creeping up that could well be a sign that it's dying.

The problem may be something else, or in addition to, but seven years on a H60 cooling an OC'd 4820k is a pretty good run, maybe a little too good.

While load temps are more relevant than idle temp, 50c is out there for idle. What are your temps while browsing, watching video, etc.? Windows 10 always has a bunch of stuff going on in the background (All Windows OS do, but my W10 installs seem to be busier than earlier builds). Your AIO has a finite lifespan, and I would have put it at about 5 years. If your temps are creeping up that could well be a sign that it's dying.

The problem may be something else, or in addition to, but seven years on a H60 cooling an OC'd 4820k is a pretty good run, maybe a little too good.

Well generally the temps don't jump up more than 1-2c browsing or watching a video. But saying that as I type this the main core keeps jumping between 54-58c and the only thing running is firefox, other than things like nvidia control pannel and other driver software. So I'm starting to think maybe the issue is the cooler after what you said. The only other real changes I can think of other than the major Windows update which I had to force with the Update Assistant is installing Corsair iCUE software becuase I bought a headset from them.

Hmm. Before you toss the cooler, have you tried uninstalling the Corsair software? I'm not familiar with that flavor, but Corsair software has been known to be buggy in the past. Some of it was just plain awful. It's worth trying that.

Have you cleaned or checked the radiator on the H60? Dust and airborne mung can clog the fins and affect cooling, too.

I haven't cleaned the radiator in over a year, so I will check that. Corsair software is not amazing, and this seems to be pretty new. The thing is I bought their Virtuoso SE headset and I need iCUE software to update the firmware on the headset and also to make changes to the EQ, check battery level in wireless more etc

An H60 cooling that CPU and overclocked? That seems like too small a cooling unit for that system.

Are your two 240gb SSD drives in a RAID 0 configuration? If so, that's asking for problems.

Have you tested the SMART drive info on the 4TB spinner? Run CrystalDiskInfo on all the drives to check for pending hardware failure in your storage system.

An H60 cooling that CPU and overclocked? That seems like too small a cooling unit for that system.

Are your two 240gb SSD drives in a RAID 0 configuration? If so, that's asking for problems.

Have you tested the SMART drive info on the 4TB spinner? Run CrystalDiskInfo on all the drives to check for pending hardware failure in your storage system.

Yea H60 has been cooling it for a good 7 years now. And I moved to tropical country several years ago :rofl:
I'm prety sure my SATA drives are in ACHI mode. I did not setup and RAID configs.
I haven't tested the SMART drive info on the 4TB...I will try running CrystalDiskInfo on all of them and report back :thup:

I bought a new cooler and I'm still getting the crashes...also the idle temps haven't even changed...I'm still getting around 50c :cry:

Last edited:
Did you connect the fan headers to the right place ? Some motherboards have specific 4-pin for AIO/Watercooling but most only have CPU/CPU OPT.

It seems my temps have dropped after like a day, it generally idles closer to 40c now. But it has a lot to do with room temp I think. But there are sudden jumps of like 10c when I start up firefox etc but then it drops back down. I connected the fan header to the 4-pin "CPU_FAN" socket. There is also a 4-pin "CPU_OPT" socket next to it. The fan seems to be working. I think the temp not dropping at the start might have something to do with the thermal paste. I had thermal paste already on my CPU but completely forgot the AIO also comes with a thin layer of thermal paste on it. Now I just have to wait and see. I even managed to find solutions to some of those Event Viewer errors.

I certainly would get a tube of Thermal paste and redo the TIM application. Clean both surfaces first with isopropyl alcohol. Put a BB to pea sized blob in the center of the CPU and allow the clamping pressure to spread it evenly. Don't try to spread it before clamping.

What did you replace the old cooler with? I hope you got one with a bigger radiator.

Also, please download and install CPU-z. Then attach images of the CPU, Memory and SPD tabs with your next post. That will give us information about CPU and memory frequencies and voltages.

Just wondering, if this has happened again since... if so, how many undesired reboots are you at now would you say? Could try running Windows Memory Diagnostic just to make sure that comes back clean.

Back