• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Age showing itself? Awkward temperatures/Possible delid? Find out more inside!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

/clickbait. :chair:

Couple things; system is like 2-3 years old now? Im not precisely sure. But its not a spring chicken anymore.

First - > 16gb pny xlr8 ram 1866mhz... will no longer run stable at 1.5v. I boosted to 1.6v and have had no issues in stress testing or benchmarking. The ram is older than the system, probably 4 years old at this point. Is it time for new ram or just ride it till it dies?

Second -> My 4790k is misbehaving. I got rid of the water cooling loop, so Im back on air. NH-D15 with 3 fans on the cooler (yes I know mostly overkill, but I had the extra fan and the room to do it, why not?); with proper case ventilation ofc. I am running an overclock of 4.7ghz @ 1.28v; LLC medium high (setting 2/5; doesn't overvolt much at all)

Idle temps
Package - 36-38
Core 0 - 35-37
Core 1 - 27, 28
Core 2 - 23-27
Core 3 - 29

So putting around in chrome, theres already a huge disparity between core 0/package and the rest of the cores. During stress testing (aida64 extreme full suite, physics testing 3dmark, etc) its usually all pretty similar.

Aida64 temps (stress cpu, fpu, cache)
Package - 86
Core 0 - 84
Core 1 - 72
Core 2 - 74
Core 3 - 74

No throttling, and 86 is technically "ok", but Im not wild about the 10-15c gaps i see between the cores. My main concern isn't pushing the overclock to the "limit" nor is it going any further on my specs; I would like my 4790k to last a while. I know delidding is risky, and I will eat that part of it (will give me an excuse to jump ship to a 1700x lol); but I imagine the TIM dried out or isnt working as intended any more. I have thermal grizzly conductonaut for the application.

Im 99% sure Im going to do it today, so if anyone has much to say on the matter; Ill appreciate it.

A 10-15 degree difference in cores in a haswell chip is not unheard of. Could probably benefit from a delid though. Are you planning on using the razor method? As long as you are careful and don't rush it is not to bad to do. Makesure you nail polish the components under the ihs before applying the conductonaut.

A 10-15 degree difference in cores in a haswell chip is not unheard of. Could probably benefit from a delid though. Are you planning on using the razor method? As long as you are careful and don't rush it is not to bad to do. Makesure you nail polish the components under the ihs before applying the conductonaut.

I have the materials ready; have some thermal grizzly conductonaut and the old lady's nail polish. I was planning on using the vice method; that looked pretty simple in all the tutorials I watched, and the razor method looks rather tedious and unsafe.

Ah why not, here goes. Wish me luck.

I prefer the razor method. I have done it multiple times without issue. I could just not bring myself to put the cup in a vise and hit it. One thing you well want to do either way is clean of the glue under the ihs. A lot of time the issue is more to do with too much glue and less too do with bad TIM.

My post got deleted?

Anyway, not gonna type it all again... Bricked the 4790k. Started with the vise method but that looked super sketchy. Pulled out a fresh razor and it was actually really really easy. Not sure why people on YouTube struggle with it.

That said I have no idea at all what h

appened; it just wouldn't even attempt to turn on. Spent a few hours dinking around but no avail.

In light of that, ordered a 1700x, ROG strix motherboard, And some 3000mhz trident ram. I need the threads for production stuff anyway and my system was acting wonky lately anyway.

Lesson learned In a pricey way, but I'm glad to upgrade at any rate.

Shows you deleted it. ;)

Wish i would have seen this earlier...would have let you borrow the delid tool. :(

Can you part some pictures of the chip. I'm curious as to what happened.

Must be some mobile issue I guess, I didn't delete anything haha.

@loch - I actually got pissy and threw it away haha. I wanted to upgrade anyway, I think my rig was dying slowly (usb issues, loses time [Yes! Super obnoxious], storage issues ... time to upgrade :-/.

Back