• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AiO Water Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
before i decided to go with a custom loop, i was looking at AIOs - over on Tom's, i noticed the one that had the fewest posters popping up with issues were the NZXT Krakens - it didn't matter which model, you rarely saw posts complaining - that's not the end all of statistical analysis as we don't know the population of Crosair, et al out there versus Kraken units......but it did catch my attention

For whatever reason the X42/X52/X62/X72 had a very high failure rate, it was also one of the most expensive AIO's on the market. Asastek was the supplier and non of the other brands had problems with it, so im guessing its whatever was on the logic board nzxt designed that was causing pump failures.

I'm also pretty sure there are alot more corsair aio's than nzxt's out there.

Had over 10+ on RMA in my firm Kraken X52 and few others from NZXT, main issue dead pump.

What do you think about EK Predator 240 ?
The predator has been discontinued, replaced by the MLC line https://www.ekwb.com/news/ek-mlc-phoenix/

Last edited:
Had over 10+ on RMA in my firm Kraken X52 and few others from NZXT, main issue dead pump.

What do you think about EK Predator 240 ?

As i became aware of the fact the AIOs were limited in cooling capacity, lacked the ability to expand or repair/replace components, that was when i looked at custom. IIRC, that Ek Predator can be expanded, elements replaced etc, so it would be a better choice. My biggest criticism of the AIOs, they're all built to a price point to compete in the AIO market, which means lower quality pumps, alum radiators vs copper radiators, etc

that ek 240 seems to check all the right boxes plus at 68mm thick rad, would seem to give you some room to grow another component into the system. I'd suspect it will definitely out cool the other AIOs

that dead pump issue was the issue i saw most of the other brands' complaints pop up with, but again, my observations on Tom's isn't the most statistically sound analysis

Last edited:
For whatever reason the X42/X52/X62/X72 had a very high failure rate, it was also one of the most expensive AIO's on the market. Asastek was the supplier and non of the other brands had problems with it, so im guessing its whatever was on the logic board nzxt designed that was causing pump failures.

I'm also pretty sure there are alot more corsair aio's than nzxt's out there.

The predator has been discontinued, replaced by the MLC line https://www.ekwb.com/news/ek-mlc-phoenix/

Interesting, didn't see that Pheonix replaced Predator, it looks very nice (Nice job of my balkan neighbours :D).

Questions:

So radiator (I am aming at 240mm) and CPU module had to be bought separately and water all that ? I didn't find complete prefilled pack.

If I buy Pheonix, do I need to clean the AiO from time to time or no ?

Isn't D5 better than DDC pump ?

As i became aware of the fact the AIOs were limited in cooling capacity, lacked the ability to expand or repair/replace components, that was when i looked at custom. IIRC, that Ek Predator can be expanded, elements replaced etc, so it would be a better choice. My biggest criticism of the AIOs, they're all built to a price point to compete in the AIO market, which means lower quality pumps, alum radiators vs copper radiators, etc

that ek 240 seems to check all the right boxes plus at 68mm thick rad, would seem to give you some room to grow another component into the system. I'd suspect it will definitely out cool the other AIOs

that dead pump issue was the issue i saw most of the other brands' complaints pop up with, but again, my observations on Tom's isn't the most statistically sound analysis

Yeah, but from all other brands that I work on my job with, NZXT Kraken was with most on RMAs.

I agree with you, about Tom's. These days you don't know if the reviewer is payed or is he for real.

Last edited:
I agree with you, about Tom's. These days you don't know if the reviewer is payed or is he for real.
I'm pretty sure he was talking about his own analysis of Tom's numbers (that's what the words say anyway, lol)...not that Tom's numbers are bad. ;)

I'm pretty sure he was talking about his own analysis of Tom's numbers (that's what the words say anyway, lol)...not that Tom's numbers are bad. ;)

while you're correct, i also agree with Thermaltake's assessment - i witnessed a "debate" between one of Tom's reviewer's with a poster that was questioning the reviewer's protocol, and the poster was 100% dead on the money but TOm's reviewer kept fighting, digging his hole deeper and deeper, not wanting to admit he was wrong. Turns out later, i found out the poster was pretty highly ranked competitive OCer (#1200 out of 53,xxx in last year's competition, as well as a retired AMD and Asus engineer). Pretty sharp guy, and has given me some guidance offline.

Since watching that reviewer destroy his own credentials like a slow train wreck, i've been real skeptical of what i see on Tom's

fwiw

Back