• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air cooler choices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

I had actually read that thread before posting this, and I know the go-to coolers are generally hyper 212 evo for most applications, and a noctua d-1x for high end air coolers, I think the 212 should handle 4.6 easily, but I just want to make sure my bases were covered, While staying under 70 for cost

I had actually read that thread before posting this, and I know the go-to coolers are generally hyper 212 evo for most applications, and a noctua d-1x for high end air coolers, I think the 212 should handle 4.6 easily, but I just want to make sure my bases were covered, While staying under 70 for cost

Did you catch the link for the Megahalems near the end of the thread? Word around here is that it is an A+ cooler and one of thebudeget cooler roundups I read confirmed it. Apparently withing degrees of the giant noctua that will kill your wallet. That's pretty much why I sent you there, so you could see that link . I'm running a head to head with my old cooler right this minute and will post about it when I get the data all organized. But from what I read it should beat the cooler in my sig by 5 or more degrees. Basically I made my decision based on that thread , but I didnt want to make a second hand recommendation, so if you want to know first hand you'll have to wait a bit :) In the meantime the other guys around here will be sure to give you a heads up on what's good and whats not.

Youare right that the 212 seems to be the goto for budget. Seems like everyone really loves the things

Ah, I thought that I missed the sale for that thing. Let me double check 😀

Edit: it was out of stock, that's why. What kind of fans go on that? That adds to the cost, reducing its price to performance a bit. But yes, still a great deal. On my phone, can't really check atm

Last edited:
Ah, I thought that I missed the sale for that thing. Let me double check 😀

Edit: it was out of stock, that's why. What kind of fans go on that? That adds to the cost, reducing its price to performance a bit. But yes, still a great deal. On my phone, can't really check atm

You're only making me glad I got mine :) The instructions say the clips will hold 120/140mm fans. Its got slots for 2. I'm looking all over and cant seem to find the clips though....they are listed in the description and the instructions.

I guess I didnt factor that into the cost because I already had the fans. That suggestion was really all I had to add to this thread. Im sorry they are out of stock, I really should have checked before getting your hopes up.

I'm not familiar with the 6700k or its heat load. I can say 4.6 on my 4790k with a CM 212 would be borderline. Plus you mentioned you would like quiet. The 212 is on the the opposite spectum of quiet. Now some will say just replace the fans with quieter ones, and that's great, but at the added cost you could just get the Noctua or Phantek and know you're on the top end of air.

Ah, I thought that I missed the sale for that thing. Let me double check ��

You're only making me glad I got mine :) The instructions say the clips will hold 120/140mm fans. Its got slots for 2. I'm looking all over and cant seem to find the clips though....they are listed in the description and the instructions.

I guess I didnt factor that into the cost because I already had the fans. That suggestion was really all I had to add to this thread. Im sorry they are out of stock, I really should have checked before getting your hopes up.

The clips are in there. There are 4 of them. They're black and smaller than the typical big silver ones with other coolers. Item #3 in the contents section of the manual.

I grabbed the Megahalems Black in that sale as well. Was $35 after shipping. I used a Thermalright TY-147 on mine, which was another $7 (and I got it for about half what they normally go for).

All said and done, I wish I had waited a week or so until I had seen this review on our frontpage:

http://www.overclockers.com/scythe-ninja-4-heatsink-review/

Very impressive performance for a ~$50 cooler.

Just read that review actually, just have to find where they are selling them lol. For that price, can't be beat imo. I'm curious if that thing will fit in my case and leave room for the rear and top exhausts. Air 540. It should, there is a lot of room in the mobo area.

You could probably fit a whole-house attic fan in an Air 540 :thup: ;)

edit:

Ah, missed this part:

MSRP of this soon-to-be-released heatsink is “around $45 – $47.”

The only one I see at the moment is from coolerguys.com and has $15 shipping, so $60 total. Still not bad, considering its competition, but I'd probably wait a bit til it's available at other retailers.

Roger that, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a ninja 4 😊

Edit: i can't give thanks on the phone, I'll do it when i get home 😉

No worries. It doesn't "count" for anything around here :) I use it primarily to say "I agree. Thanks for posting, so I don't have to." haha

Shame that Prolimatech is no longer in stock it is a damn good heatsink. That said the one ninjacore suggested that was reviewed seems to be a darn good heatsink for the money. I do not have any hands on with the 6700k, yet. If they are as hot as some of the 4X70k chips are, which I do not believe they are. Then on any cooling, it may all depend on what chip you get as to whether it will do 4.6 Ghz on ambient cooling.

Home finally.

Yeah, plenty of room for the ninja, but the cost + shipping from coolerguys *And Ebay* currently push this buy back for now. If It is still exclusive when I get my cpu and Ram, I may settle for the Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 140mm UFB . It's a little bit more than I want to spend, but I've read quite a few good reviews on it. Plus, the black nickel plated finish is sexy. So there's that... :p

I think the 212 should handle 4.6 easily, but I just want to make sure my bases were covered, While staying under 70 for cost
Maybe... Keeping it under 70C stress test load with a Hyper 212 at those clocks/1.35v or so... not sure you are looking at 70C load temps from stress testing.

Back