• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air cooling AMD FX 9590?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yaiie

I was wondering if you could safely cool the AMD FX 9590 with a traditional heat sink or do you need to water cool it?

If air cooling would fly... Any recommendations??

it depends on the clock and the cpu itself. air cooling is fine stock and mild overclocks.
noctua or coolermaster 212 seem to be the choice.

I wouldn't be over clocking at all... But I've read the 9590 can get HOT!!!

ive always prefered the classic heat sink setup I just want to make sure I won't cook my cpu

for that cpu, i would find the largest heatsink possible, like the noctua dual tower cooler, or something similar.

for not to much more than top of the line air you can get an all in one water cooler, even stock that's the way i would go for it.

AMD includes a liquid cooling system for stock speeds and voltages. Any type of enthusiast type shenanigans and you'll need to upgrade to a real liquid cooling system. Those chips are reported to run on the warm side as it is. Out of curiosity , why would you want to air cool it ? You may have to share time with a 767 in Boeing's wind tunnel to air cool that CPU.

AIO / CLC are at best only marginally better than top air coolers. I know of no CLC that is as good as air and only the Swiftech H120X, H220X & H240X are better by a couple degrees.

I'm going to mention a disclaimer here.

The FX-9590 puts out an enormous amount of heat at load (in excess of 200W).
These coolers mentioned will work, but only with the assumption that you have excellent case ventilation and proper cooling in line for the motherboard.

You may have to share time with a 767 in Boeing's wind tunnel to air cool that CPU.

:rofl::rofl:
I have this CPU and using a Nepton 280L, and running F@H it would run for about 1-2 hours then lockup, the 1st HS I used was the V6GT and at idle was great, even running a non CPU intensive, it did not over heat, but soon as I pushed it , lockup in 5 sec, V8GTS was 2nd and not much better, 5 min then lockup.
I ended up putting a FX-8350 in untill something comes out that will freeze it :)

Last edited:
I was wondering if you could safely cool the AMD FX 9590 with a traditional heat sink or do you need to water cool it?

If air cooling would fly... Any recommendations??

Short answer, no.

If you must.....

Turn off turbo, settle with 4.7ghz and under volt the cpu some, could try this at 5 ghz as well.

I stand happily corrected with this disclaimer: It may be heavily dependent on luck of the draw with the binning on a particular chip. The majority seems to be against it , but there are obviously some cases here for it. I guess if you have money to throw at it you could get one and try air cooling , then move up if it doesn't work. I would carefully read the caveats in the 'success' posts first , though. Good luck wishes no matter how you go!

a large tower cooler will handle the heatload. an 212 evo should handle it ok, something larger (a 140mm tower) would be a better choice. If you go with an AIO/CLC then a 240mm should be the minimum you look at, a 280mm would be a much better choice.

a large tower cooler will handle the heatload. an 212 evo should handle it ok, something larger (a 140mm tower) would be a better choice. If you go with an AIO/CLC then a 240mm should be the minimum you look at, a 280mm would be a much better choice.

I disagree, the 212 EVO doesn't stand a chance at handling a 9590.
Even an AMAZING air cooler like an NH-D14 would have to be paired with an amazing piece of silicon to perform properly.

There are only a handful of AIO units that I would even trust with a 9590.

I disagree, the 212 EVO doesn't stand a chance at handling a 9590.
Even an AMAZING air cooler like an NH-D14 would have to be paired with an amazing piece of silicon to perform properly.

There are only a handful of AIO units that I would even trust with a 9590.
I totally agree. Fx 9590's are binned high leakage chips from what we have seen, Air cooling need not apply unless Shrimpy's advice is taken.

Lots of advice here from people who have never ran a 9590. Air need not apply. AIO's are iffy.

Lots of advice here from people who have never ran a 9590. Air need not apply. AIO's are iffy.

Does running an 8350 at 5.5GHz count as experience enough? :p

I agree though, air takes tweaking, perfect silicon, and the very tip top air cooler to even begin to consider looking at it as an option.
Most AIO's can't keep up either and they also introduce the issue of low/no airflow over the VRM/socket area. That causes other issues.

Basically, what I'm getting at, is no matter what route you use to cool these beasts, it requires good knowledge of the platform, how to tweak settings properly, and how to keep key parts cool.

Does running an 8350 at 5.5GHz count as experience enough? :p
Depends on who you are. For you, probably.;)
I will tell you flat out that this 9590 is no comparison heat wise to my 8320 at 5.4.
It's much hotter.

Depends on who you are. For you, probably.;)
I will tell you flat out that this 9590 is no comparison heat wise to my 8320 at 5.4.
It's much hotter.

Yeah, the 9590 almost always seems to be a high leakage chip. Good for LN2, but not for ambient.
Which is why it would run hotter.

Back