• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air cooling AMD FX 9590?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sorry if I'm digging up an old thread,

I've been running a 9590 on an original (old school) Cooler Master V8 with a 120mm Silverstone Air Penetrator since day one. It wasn't stable.

I was getting great performance at first with my Crosshair V Formula Z mobo and Corsair Dominator memory on twin 570HD GPU's, but then the rig slowed way the hell down one day. I was ripping/converting a ton of media (Yup, AMD guys can rip/convert media too ;) ) and my old rig (Phenom II 940) was absolutely smoking my new 9590 in conversion framerates. I dove deeper and discovered the 9590 was only running @ 1.4 Ghz! It was "parking" cores left and right to avoid overheating. I tweaked the BIOS settings a bit and realized it would not become stable @ stock frequency no matter what. At 4 cores full load I was pushing 70 degrees celsius. 8 Cores full load would lock up about 15 seconds in (Close to 80C!)

Call me ghetto, but I wound up finding a huge pocket of hot exhaust air being expelled from my GPU array during mining / folding operations right under the optical drive (Near the inlet of the V8). I swapped in some ventilated drive bay covers and a 80mm fan (attached to my controller) to exhaust this pocket of air. I also have an extremely high RPM 40mm fan zip-tied to the intake-side of my Cooler Master V8 that's being controlled by my fan controller. I've managed to bring my 8-core full load temps down to about 75C and the processor will run stable @ OEM frequency. I couldn't imagine overclocking this f*%&@ thing. My daily tune on my Phenom II was between 3.5 and 3.75Ghz. My highest stable tune was 3.9 Ghz on THIS EXACT SAME V8 cooler that I'm using on the 9590. Having no overclocking overhead really sucks for me as a hobbyist, but what can I expect using a 180W cooler on a 220W CPU... At the end of the day, this is a 220W CPU. It needs at least a 220W cooling solution for stability. If you want to overclock this, be prepared to get creative with water cooling. You could try air but I think you'd need to take apart a vacuum to move enough air to cool this thing. Imagine the noise that would make.

Anyway, sorry if I'm too late to party. I love AMD and I don't care if your 4770K smokes me @ 140 watts. Your re-vamped Netburst s%# was reverse-engineered in Isreal. Mine wasn't. ;)

Last edited:
"Great performance at first" but now "overheating" generally means one or two things; needs cleaning or TIM seating seal has been broken. Removing cooler and giving it a good wash in kitchen sink cleans film that builds up over time off of fins allowing heat to be transferred into the air .. and of course new TIM seating has to be done when re-instailling.

2x 570's dump a lot of hot air. What case are you using?

It can be done, as evident by the GPUs with 250W and up TDPs that are doing it with a solution that would fit in a 1U. If you're set on doing it on air, I would suggest a good Delta fan or two along with the biggest heatsink you can find.

Honestrepairman -> theres no fanboyism here. No need to get defensive about your AMD lol.

Case ventilation is obviously important. What case are you running?

Have you tried undervolting.... ? Finding out if your 5.0 pstate is lower than stock would potentially fix your heating issues :)

-doyll | I'll check it out for sure. My NAS machine might actually have this problem now that you mention it, but I think the 9590 might be good due to the idle temps I'm seeing.
-bob4933 | My bad, I'm used to having to be defensive everywhere else for my AMD builds. Thanks for being cool about it though. :)

I run a Cooler Master HAF 932 case with an NZXT fan controller. I'll update my signature with my rig info.

I'm also running a pair of 320GB Seagates in a striped array and a single Samsung 850 EVO 128GB SSD.

Back