• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air cooling suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Horrerblade

Hi guy how are you all today?

Well i am building this computer for a guy and i am cluless for what cpu cooler i should recommend him.:confused:

I told him to go with the hyper 212 but he said that is was to cheap and that he wanted his computer to use something above 40 but i know that the the hyper is a very good cooler he said that he wanted his computer to run "cool" now that is a term that depends on the person but there must be an established standard so if you could please recommend me some coolers i would be much appreciative.

This is my choice
Cooler Master Hyper N520
Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo

I would say the H212 EVO. It's proved it can easily handle sandy bridge. As far as Ivy Bridge... is he starting to buy parts already before the CPU series even gets released?

It is the most you can get for your money and can cool a sandy bridge with no sweat. That said, a die shrink in Ivy bridge should bring less heat making the Hyper 212 EVO even more suitable. The Cooler Master Hyper N520 has 92mm fan(s). The Hyper 212 EVO has a 120mm with higher CFM and is quieter. It should easily outperform it. Anyways, I'm sure almost anyone you talk to here would recommend the H212 over it, am I right guys? ;)

let me get this straight......he wont buy something because it is too "cheap"? there aren't many air coolers PERIOD that cool better than the 212+. although coolers that perform better do exist, i think its safe to say the 212 is more than sufficient for almost anyone.

let me get this straight......he wont buy something because it is too "cheap"? there aren't many air coolers PERIOD that cool better than the 212+. although coolers that perform better do exist, i think its safe to say the 212 is more than sufficient for almost anyone.

With all due respect that's a little misinformed. There are a lot of air coolers period that cool significantly better than the 212. Nothing touches it for price/performance but you could hardly hold a 212 up to a Silver Arrow or an NHD14. Granted, significant diminishing gains kick in as you go up the ladder.

The second edition of the HR02 macho by Thermalright at about 40 dollars US was nearly matching (about 1 to 3 degrees off) an NHD14 at half the price (with a fan added). That would have been my suggestion to guaranteeably handle whatever may be coming. I haven't seen it for sale of late.

I'd say to play it safe get a higher tier air cooler if being future proof is what you're after. Something like a Silver Arrow, just to be sure you'll be covered for whatever IB has to offer in terms of TDP and heat dissipation when you really put it to the wall because we can only speculate at this point.

Being 28nm will help and the new transistor design will probably mean lower voltages so odds are IB will not be a very hot chip but I'd play it safe.

Back