• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Airflow!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BoB NaPaLm

Hi.

Basically I want to know what setup to have to get good airflow. At the moment im just using my old P2 450 but I am going to upgrade to an AMD 2ghz chip very soon.

I have a full size tower with a fan blowing air in at the bottom front of the case. Then I have the psu directly above the processor sucking air out of the case. Then right at the top back panel and top front drivebay of the case I have fans sucking air out of the case.

Is this setup any good because I have 3 fans sucking air out with only one sucking in? At the moment my motherboards temp probe reads 29 degrees Celcius and never goes over that. The cpu temp is usually below 40 degrees Celcius even uder load, unless I overclock it too 540mhz and 2.3v. Then the temp of cpu goes up to 49 degrees celcius under load and the system goes to about 32degrees.

Im also going to add a window kit with a blowhole in it...now which way should the fan blow...in or out?

All this is too confusing.

When you move up to a XP 2600+ 2.0gig chip it is going to run hotter. So far your case is adequate. I would add a 92mm or 120mm side fan blowing on the video card and CPU. That should handle your cooling needs. Get a good HSF for your AMD, not a stock fan. I would recommend a SLK-800 or AX-7.

Or upgrade the lower fan to a bigger one that draws more air into the case. You may have to modify the mounting location for the larger fan with some nippers or a dremel. If you need further airflow then start cutting holes in the sides and top:)

A couple more cooling thoughts for you:

Take the side panel off- if case and cpu temps go down more than 2 or 3c then your case cooling is not really good enough

When modding the side panel- if you use cardboard as a temporary panel you can try different locations and see what works best;) Most common side panel positions (for cooling, not appearance) are down low OR directly ove the cpu.

Case cooling is better with intake and exhaust nearly balanced about 99% of the time.
And I am in complete agreement with the replies before me;)

Ok ill try to find places to get more intakes (probably a fan on sidepanel) and a larger intake (possibly a 120mm) on the bottom front panel.

Back