• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AK31 v3.1 and Alpha PAL 8045

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Holy jumping Jehovah's Witness, that's a tight fit. What did you use to cut the heatsink? And is it difficult. I'm not that dedicated.

You don't need to cut the hs, it will fit almost perfectly, you just have to cut the washers to get around those tiny thingy so they could be flat on the mobo, and just slightly bend the capacitor a little bit.

ymNA, sorry to break your bubble, but you do have to cut the sink.

Alex99, You have to cut the HS to clear the fan and the green cap. If you do not cut for the fan then the HS compress the spring on the fan mount. You want the HS to sit flat on the CPU. The cap cannot be pushed out of the way as it is soldered flat against the board. You also need to cut some of the nylon washers so they sit flat on the MOBO.

I used a 1/4" metal cut-off tool in a drill press. I used the drill press as a mill and hand fed the HS into the cutting bit to remove the metal that came in contact with fan mount and cap.

You could use a round file and do basically the same thing though.
If this is something you think is over your head, ship it my way and I will remove the metal for you at no cost other than to ship it back to you. I will even lap/polish the HS for you.

Its really very easy to do.

Maybe mine is different, the cap doesn't even touch the sink after I push it out a little bit. I think the sink has good contact with the core, crunching right now at 15c over the system temp (46c @ 2.05 vcore) and I am using a Compusa fan too (27cfm @ 3000rpm)

DodgeViper said:
ymNA, sorry to break your bubble, but you do have to cut the sink.

Alex99, You have to cut the HS to clear the fan and the green cap. If you do not cut for the fan then the HS compress the spring on the fan mount. You want the HS to sit flat on the CPU. The cap cannot be pushed out of the way as it is soldered flat against the board. You also need to cut some of the nylon washers so they sit flat on the MOBO.

I used a 1/4" metal cut-off tool in a drill press. I used the drill press as a mill and hand fed the HS into the cutting bit to remove the metal that came in contact with fan mount and cap.

You could use a round file and do basically the same thing though.
If this is something you think is over your head, ship it my way and I will remove the metal for you at no cost other than to ship it back to you. I will even lap/polish the HS for you.

Its really very easy to do.

Wow, so much work just to fit a heatsink. I don't have the tools nor the patience. THANKS for your great offer, but I've ordered a Millennium Glaciator already. I will definitely keep that in mind if I decide to go with the Alpha.

Alex99 said:

for your great offer, but I've ordered a Millennium Glaciator already.

Needless to say, the GlaciatorII fits fine - as does the GlaciatorI. I'm running a GII on my AK31 r 3.1 right now and it works very well, though it needs a little light lapping on the base.

SB

Back