• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All of you transidtor/resistor movers I need your help!!! (need pics hosted too pls)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Guys, guys, guys, that is most definently a RESISTOR. I am a CS major at UC Berkeley so I have taken enough EE classes and built enough circuits to let you know that it's a resistor. Now to find the type of resistor you need you need to look at the specs sheet :( or you can use an ohmmeter and measure the resistance across it.

I'm with James.Miller on this one. After doing some research on the web and viewing the other "unpolorized" type SMD capaciters, it looks like the ceramic capacitors that you can purchase in the link I provided (look at the picture... its the same thing).

So candy7man24, despite what ever insite your UC Berkeley classes have given to you, I think if you were to do a little research you would find out what I did.

I too thought it was a resister (looked like one to me) but after doing the research I was learned a new thing (just like you will be).

Maybe Mr. Miller should teach the differences between capacitors and resisters at Berkeley since they apparently need some help.

thanks for the kind words tracert:)

i have had any training in electronics, and i couldnt build the simplest of circuits. BUT, as i work with surface mount for a living, 7 1/2 a day, i KNOW what is a capasitor and what is a resistor lol.

tracert's right, berkeley apparently does need some help lol

I work in a SMt assembly facility If the the resistor or transistor has a code on the top and some of you guys who have a card can tell us what it is i may be able to tell you what type of part it was. Transistors are marked with a a two or three letter code such as "4P" or "3M" resistors are marked with a code like "103" which would be a 10K ohm resistor. Or 000 which would be a zero ohm jumper.

I'll try to make things clear.

First of all I'm NOT an EE, I did have some private lessons when I was 10 and studied electronics a couple of years.

I agree with james.miller that it's a
Capacitor.jpg

(Sorry couldn't find enough SM capacitors):D

candy7man24 what has your teacher been smoking?...I want some:p .

In this crappy pic (My digicam is kinda dead, so I used a VHS camera with a cable that's way too long and I didn't feel like moving it, it looked good on my TV) you can see that the resistors are marked, and that the caps (in the red ovals) are brownish (Like james.miller said), you can also see that the 'cap' from OC Noob (Marked blue) doesn't have a marking (the quality of his pic is better than mine).
SMD.jpg

Conclusion: It MUST be a capacitor, or the manuf. tried to fool you....but I don't think they do that anymore, these days they use FPGAs and ASICs to prevent others from copying their product.

Tracert to measure the capacitance or resistance of any part you'll have to remove the part, as it might be in paralell with something else (You could cut the traces, but I doubt you did that..let alone remove it as it's pretty hard to remove it without damaging it).

OC Noob I would get a 10nF capacitor as it most likely won't do any harm.

BTW:I was able to find a partial schematic of an 8500, but unfortunately it's useless:(

10nF cap heh.

Where should I get one and should I get a surface mounted or non-surface mounted. Which do you think a TV repairman would have a better chance of doing right?

This thing may just get fixed after all.

Thanks everyone:D

okay, so now the card may come back into my possession.

what exactly do i need to replace? who would i take it to
to get it fixed? where do i buy the part?

lol! help help

Back