• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All those having psu troubles-read this (especially antec or generic troubles)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

computerpro3

Hi all,
I have been seeing an incredible amount of posts that say "My Antec 550 has low voltage problems", "My antec 550 isn't powering my rig properly", "is an Antec 430 enough for this rig", "Can my generic 300watt psu power my new prescott rig with 9 hard drives", and "Is Deer a good PSU?" posts. Hopefully this thread will help reduce those.

I want everyone reading this right now to understand two things.

1. MOTHERBOARD MONITOR 5, YOUR BIOS READINGS, AND ANY SOFTWARE READING PROGRAM ARE NOT ACCURATE. The only way to accuratley measure your voltage is with a digital multimeter. There is no excuse not to have one. They are less than $20 at radio shack, home depot, basically any hardware/electronic store. Before spending potentially hundreds of dollars on new psu's, or crying that the psu's lines are crap and damaging a companies reputation, test the damn lines with a multimeter. I've had motherboard monitor 5 report that my 12v line was 14v before. It was really 12.5. Don't believe it or bios.

****IF YOUR PROBLEM IS DROPPING VOLTAGE LINES, IT OFTEN ISNT A PROBLEM AT ALL, THE SOFTWARE IS JUST INACCURATE*****

2. Antecs are great psu's, but they are NOT reccomended for heavy overclocking. If you want stable, reliable operation with mild overclocking or low speeds, they are the ticket. However, their voltage lines DO drop when you hit around 3.8-4ghz Intel, 2.7-3ghz AMD. That is a fact. Ask any of the people that have experience with them.

For heavy, heavy overclocking there are really only 2 or three choices. This is how the breakdown goes. And yes, everyone that is on the front page of the ORB will agree.

Pc Power and Cooling Turbocool 510 Deluxe

The ABSOLUTE BEST normal, ATX power supply on the planet. Yes, its pricey, but worth every penny. Yes, I know, I have one. Here are the reasons it is the best power supply on the planet:

*510 REAL watts compared to 360ish REAL watts on the Antec 550. When looking at power supply ratings, you have to take into account that the majority of power supply companies out there (antec's the worst when it comes to this) rate their power supplies at 25C. So what you say? Well, power supply output DROPS as temperature goes UP. Its an inverse relationship. How many of your case temps, let alone power supply internal temps, are 25C? 2, maybe 3 people on the boards, if that? Pc Power and Cooling rates their supplies at 40C, which is the real average temp. Basically, if you want to compare using Antecs rating system, its 660 watts for the pcp&c to 550 watts for the antec.

*1% voltage regulation. Basically, if your 12v line drops to 11.88, OR your 5v line drops to 4.95v or your 3.3v line drops to 3.267 your psu is defective. Try that with the Antec lol.

*34 amps on the 12v line, 38 peak!!!!!! Compare to 24 on the antec. Thats the important line too, peeps, as thats what the cpu is powered off of in most cases

*5 year warranty compared to 3. speaks volumes for workmanship

*every wire sleeved, matte black finish. nothing to do with performance, but a nice touch, none the less.

**********GREAT FEATURE ALERT****you can adjust the internal pots without voiding warranty. They drill little holes over them for you so you can just stick a screwdriver in and turn. They will also mount the pots on 3 foot wires if you want so you can turn them externally.

*myraid types of electrical features, such as active pfc, line conditioning, etc.

I do understand, however that not every person can justify $220-310 on a power supply, so despair not, there is another great choice for you. Here it is:

Fortron 530watt

*think of it as everything I mentioned above except 1% line regulation, sleeved wires, slightly less amps, slightly less power. Awesome, Awesome psu. basically a pcp&c without the fit and finish. Internal adjustable pots, has the works. here's the kicker: $75 bucks!!!!! All that for $75 bucks!!!!! Best value out there, probably in any type of componet.
2nd best supply out there, bar none

Enermax/Coolergiant 660w

Heard very good things about this supply from many people, but I have no experience with it myself so I can't comment.

Now on the issue of generic power supplies. 5 words:

DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT

Personally I have had 3 generics blow, and one catch on fire (that one was a deer :eek: ). I'm a fast learner. Generic power supplies will for the most part blow out if you try to use them to power a high power consumption rig. If you use one, you run the risk of it taking out every single componet in your system. Whats another $75 bucks (fortron 530) for the peace of mind that your $2000 pc will be nice, safe, and stable? Also, generic or underpower psu's often cause overheating, reboots, instability, lockups, power surges inside your pc, voltage drops, etc. Not things you want to be messing with if you like or rely on your computer like I and many other people on this forum do. Oh, if you have a Deer psu, they are also fire hazards and liable to burn down your house, killing your family, and ruining your life if you have crappy insurance. I'm not even kidding, if I hadn't been home when my deer went off....I don't even want to think about it. I don't care how little money you have, you can ALWAYS pick up at least an antec 430 (which you know at least will not catch on fire and is built with somewhat quality parts) for $38 shipped (an actual deal I just saw go on this forums classifieds). So skip lunch for a day or something and get a REAL psu. Your pc is an investment. Protect it.

Now a special note about the Antec 430 watter. This thing is possibly the best value besides the fortron 530watt out there, but it is NOT superman. This thing has gotten the reputation that it takes whatever you throw at, and it does....to a point. Look at my system in sig. Yes, it took all that to bring it down (kinda), but I finally did it. The antec trupower 430 was insufficient to power my system. I had to use two power supplies or I couldn't overclock for beans. The lines were dropping (measured with a DMM so they really were) and the air coming out was akin to a heatgun. This thing can take a lot of stuff, but please don't throw a prescott, 9 hard drives, 5 cd roms, 19 cold cathodes, and 55 fans at it. Guys, its a great psu, but not superman. Or should I say a pc power and cooling.

Sorry for the long post/rant, but I had to get it off my chest. Hope this helps a lot of people out there. I need to go ice my fingers after all this typing.

-computerpro3 out

Last edited:
I think you hit the nail on the head, and I am also impressed by your typing skills;).

I'm specing out my next rig, and a PC P&C 510 is on my wish list (mostly wishing it wasn't so expensive).

When you speak of a multimeter, which I have never used, what size should I be looking at and where do I take my readings from? I have $20 burning a hole in my pocket and a Radio Shack down the road.

Well as far as what size, Im not sure exactly what you mean, but if you are talking about physical size I suppose anything that will measure volts is fine. For $20 a decent one should measure voltages to several decimal points, and ohms (resistance). Those are the two major things to make sure they have. They are very easy to use. Its basically a screen with a red and black lead hanging off of it. Just connect the black wire to any ground and the red wire to whatever you want to measure voltage/resistance with. The screen then displays the value. They are great tools for all electronics.

Lots of good info, particularly with Deer, but there are a couple things that seem a bit off to me. First, I do have quite a bit of experience with the Antecs (but mostly with the company that actually builds them - CWT), and IMO they are capable of powering serious overclocks above the 430w level. My own overclocks are certainly not limited by my older CWT 420w (aka Antec pp412x) - the processor heats up and quits on me first.

The True 550w is also capable of significantly more than 360 "real" watts, as a recent test over at Tom's showed the TC550 maxing out their load tester at 495w (the PC P&C 510w also maxed it out). CWT rates their units at up to 50 degrees full power - only MTBF is at 25 degrees as far as I can tell. When I look at Antec units I usually hit CWT's website for the specs - sometimes Antec's have typos. Enermax and Fortron both rate full power at 25 degrees, but in Fortron's case they also underrate.

Can't argue with the PC P&C 510w, but there are still more powerful units out there if you know where to look and have money. I have a suspicion this particular model is a Zippy/Emacs unit (but definitely not sure about it yet - PC P&C uses several suppliers)... Zippy units get really costly and seem more targeted at servers.

Other than that, good post :)

Your right...It was my oversight about the antec 550 watt. It CAN power serious overclocks BUT it must have 3 vmods done to it, one for each rail. With the fortron or pcp&c, these mods do not have to be done. The antecs lack internal or external pots, which are a BIG must have for a serious overclocker.

and zippy's; well they're great supplies but def. targeted towards servers. If you think pcp&c is expensive....well than zippy's are just impractical. Thats why I said the turbocool 510 deluxe was the best NORMAL atx supply. :)

Very true information about software voltage readings. My digital multi meter tells me that the sensors on my NF7-S are incredibly innacurate.
One of things that sucks is that some people report their overclocks based on software vcore readings rather than bios settings. For example, if I went by MBM5 I would report to you that I have my mobile 2600+ at 2800 MHz with 1.95V. That would be bad info because its set to 2.1V in bios and reads 2.1V off the motherboard with my DMM.
For our purposes just about any DMM will work fine. I spent a little extra to get one that has "autorange" so that it automatically senses the voltage input so I don't have to set the meter for each different measurement.

computerpro3 said:
and zippy's; well they're great supplies but def. targeted towards servers. If you think pcp&c is expensive....well than zippy's are just impractical. Thats why I said the turbocool 510 deluxe was the best NORMAL atx supply. :)

I missed the "normal" part... long day ;)

I too would have liked to see the Trues come with internal pots... my old 420w has them (never needed them though). Ah well, maybe in the next generation of CWT designs they'll be there again.

Hm I have a TrueBlue 480watt and it's ok. Except for one point: the heat it generates. After I got that PSU, my CPU and case temps went up for at least 5 degrees. Talking about getter a higher OC, my Sweex 350 watt did better, it ran very cool and I havent got any OC improvements with the Antec. I know ouf course the Antec will survive longer when they're going to get in extreme situations.

I have a 350 watt Fortron and before that I had a 300 watt Sparkle. The reason for getting the Fortron was because my 12v rails where always reading low. But after upgrading I am still showing low rails and am thinking that I should get a multimeter before I buy another psu. I know that with the newer video cards coming out a new psu is going to be a must, but when working on a budget (my whole reason for ever getting into OC'ing), I gotta hold onto every penny for as long as I can.

computerpro3 said:
Your right...It was my oversight about the antec 550 watt. It CAN power serious overclocks BUT it must have 3 vmods done to it, one for each rail. With the fortron or pcp&c, these mods do not have to be done. The antecs lack internal or external pots, which are a BIG must have for a serious overclocker.
I wonder why nobody mentioned antec truecontrol which has external pots. The range within you can adjust is only 5% of the specified output voltage but still...

LevaR said:
I wonder why nobody mentioned antec truecontrol which has external pots. The range within you can adjust is only 5% of the specified output voltage but still...

IT is not worth getting that psu. Many people have gotten it and found that even when pots are adjusted to the max it still drops out of tolerance under heavy overclocking. I believe Tedinde had one and found this to be true also. ITs more of a marketing gimmick on the antec. Still a great psu if you're not overclocking heavily and want quiet, stable operation, but we are on overclockers.com forums ;)

mcoleg said:
good post, i vote sticky, some ppl still get those dirt cheap 5-600 watters and should be stopped before they hurt themselves :p .

btw, those new pp&c 410 silencers

http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/power_supplies/ultra_quiet/silencers/index.htm

how good do you think they are?

they also rolled out a 425W deluxe model, it's $145... i am tempted :p

http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/power_supplies/highperformance/turbocools/425/index.htm

I have seen the 425 pcp&c in action (I know someone with one) and I was impressed. Spot on regulation, many of the features my 510 deluxe has. Great psu, I would easily reccomend it. The silencer IS the 425watter with a lower speed fan; they reduced the ratings since the hotter it gets the lower the power output.

I have an Antec tp550 and i have no voltage problems thier all perfect and never go down at all even on massive loads.

I only paid $110 over $200 for Pc power......

very good post helps alot if i ever think about buying a new computer (got a dell right now)

i vote sticky and if u relly want it sticked let a mod know

CandymanCan said:
I have an Antec tp550 and i have no voltage problems thier all perfect and never go down at all even on massive loads.

I only paid $110 over $200 for Pc power......

Your pc isn't exactly putting out massive loads......Trust me, slap it in my machine or Tedinde's machine and the voltages WILL drop. And since you are talking about price, the Fortron 530 watt is better than the antec and almost as good as pcp&c and is only $75 shipped.

TUK101 said:
I have a 350 watt Fortron and before that I had a 300 watt Sparkle. The reason for getting the Fortron was because my 12v rails where always reading low. But after upgrading I am still showing low rails and am thinking that I should get a multimeter before I buy another psu. I know that with the newer video cards coming out a new psu is going to be a must, but when working on a budget (my whole reason for ever getting into OC'ing), I gotta hold onto every penny for as long as I can.

Your Fortron is an excellent supply and can power your rig and much more just fine. I'd be willing to bet that your volts aren't dropping at all; a digital multimeter runs only about $20 at your local Radio Shack and is really worth getting. Why drop $75-100 on a new supply when you could spend $20 and find out that yours is fine? You have a great psu. I would keep it and test the lines. IF it IS too far out of spec, than you could always get an rma since it is defective.

mcoleg said:
btw, those new pp&c 410 silencers

http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/power_supplies/ultra_quiet/silencers/index.htm

how good do you think they are?[/url]

Review here: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=51

These are Seasonics relabeled - I recognize the logo on the main transformer and the design of the whole unit (the single main filter cap in the middle of the board is a dead giveaway to me). They're nice PSUs, but I'd personally direct from Seasonic. Make sure you get the A3 revision units with the better fan controller. From what I can tell, the only difference in the PCPC version is the case and fans.

Edit: thought I would throw in a link to the Tom's test that saw the PCPC and Antec maxing out their load tester at 495w for the TC550 and 485w for the 510 Deluxe: http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040122/index.html

One can safely ignore their conclusion the Antec is automatically better because of their higher tested output though - they didn't have enough info to make that assumption since they couldn't test the full output of either ;) . While I'm not a fan of Tom's, the testing methodology used is sound (missing ripple testing though). I remain completely convinced the Antec 550w as well as the Fortron 530w can power serious overclocks (in fact I just helped someone further down this forum with their True 550w that may have been finally giving up after overclocking a P4 to 3.8 GHz - that one was also running a TEC off the 12v).

Last edited:
Back