• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alternative to Acrobat? OR Older Acrobat on Win7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I would like to know if there's an alternative to Adobe Acrobat that is NOT, I repeat NOT, cloud based that allows one to write PDF, extract pages from a PDF file to create a new PDF all the things Acrobat does? If so, what would that software be and does it come from a reliable company?

Second, is anyone aware if Adobe Acrobat 8.0 work with Win7? If someone has tried it, I'd be interested in knowing if there's any settings one needs to change/update etc to make it work.

My OS is 64-bit.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
http://www.pdfsam.org/downloads/
PDFsam Basic is a free and open source, platform independent software designed to split, merge and rotate PDF files.

And for viewing, simplest viewer is
http://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/download-free-pdf-viewer.html

Thank you I was unaware of either of these. I tell you Adobe charges way too much for Acrobat. My version 8.0 was perfect in WinXP. Some of the other alternatives are not low cost either in my opinion for an open source format.

Yes. It could be set up to run on later OS too, including Windows 10.
This is how: View attachment 176543
;)

Thanks for this! I couldn't find instructions for Win7 or more new versions of Windows however? Perhaps I missed it, I'm sure I did.

There was one other thing I read in the instructions, there is mention of "UPDATE to v8.3.1" , how would one update to later versions of Acrobat 8.0? I don't think, and I could be wrong, Adobe supports such updating.

Adobe Acrobat 8 is not supposed to work on later versions of Windows but I figured out how to do all that and it can and does work on Windows 7/8/10.
Those are my personal instructions for myself.

You have to go through the numerous incremental updates to get to 8.3.1.

They are no longer listed on Adobe's web site but I saved them from the old times...

Code:
• Version 8.1.0 can be applied to any version 8 before 8.1.0

• Version 8.1.1 can only be applied to version 8.1.0

• Version 8.1.2 can only be applied to version 8.1.1

• Version 8.1.3 can only be applied to version 8.1.2

• Version 8.1.4 can only be applied to version 8.1.3

• Version 8.1.5 can only be applied to version 8.1.4

• Version 8.1.6 can be applied to version 8.1.3, 8.1.4 or 8.1.5

• Version 8.1.7 can only be applied to version 8.1.6

• Version 8.2.0 can only be applied to version 8.1.7

• Version 8.2.1 can only be applied to version 8.2.0

• Version 8.2.2 can be applied to version 8.2.1 or 8.2.0

• Version 8.2.3 can only be applied to version 8.2.2

• Version 8.2.4 can only be applied to version 8.2.3

• Version 8.2.5 can be applied to version 8.2.3 or 8.2.4

• Version 8.2.6 can only be applied to version 8.2.5

• Version 8.3.0 can only be applied to version 8.2.6

• Version 8.3.1 can only be applied to version 8.3.0

Update to v8.3.1 is the last version 8 update.

Back