• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

am i just crazy? (fans question)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

resx

Registered
long story short built a new computer, about a week after i noticed my CM 212 evo cpu fan was making a very faint clicking noise so i freaked out and bought a scythe gentle typhoon ok so thats done... i thought i was all good untill last night.. im sitting here playing WoW i take my headphones off and hear once again a faint clicking noise like something is hitting the fan. so i narrowed it down to my PSU fan this time its a very faint clicking noise u have to put your ear to the back of the case to hear it except for last night it seemed louder. unless im just crazy :screwy: i can still RMA it sence i just bought it but the place is in cali and im in NY :( but... if my cpu fan was making the same noise and now this one is starting to do the same thing im starting to get the hint that fans just "do that". or if its my insane new computer OCD i have and want it all to be perfect lol. i really don't want to RMA it its still sucking in air and working its just that noise.

One thing you can try is to stick something through each fan (beside the heatsink fan) and jam the blades from turning, then turn the computer on and see if you hear the clicking noise. As long as you don't leave it running long that way, you won't hurt the psu fan when checking it. Do 1 fan at a time like that until you find the clicking fan.

One thing you can try is to stick something through each fan (beside the heatsink fan) and jam the blades from turning, then turn the computer on and see if you hear the clicking noise. As long as you don't leave it running long that way, you won't hurt the psu fan when checking it. Do 1 fan at a time like that until you find the clicking fan.

yeah i did it earlier today its definitely the PSU fan. its just a real faint noise is all it sounds like plastic on plastic kinda thing idk its hard to explain.

it could be a fan blade actually hitting the side of the fan case and only does it when it vibrates enough.

yeah i did it earlier today its definitely the PSU fan. its just a real faint noise is all it sounds like plastic on plastic kinda thing idk its hard to explain.

They probably used a ball bearing fan in it, from what iv'e noticed with my case fans after a week they make that clicking noise, iv'e had 3 different Antec 1200 cases in the last 3 years and every fan in them has done it, honestly i have to put my ear up to it to hear it too, but if you shut your PC down for 5-10 minutes and start it back up it will probably be louder than usual for a couple of minutes until the sleeve warms up and expands or the balls contact more lube.

It's pretty normal specially with hydro sleeve fans like i have but one thing you can do is take the housing (blades) off the rotary pull the cylinder away from the prong and put some toy train oil in it or some hutchins car grease, it's just going to make that noise again in a month or so though, when the fans run all the time it's natural that the bearings loose a lot of the lube, i haven't greased mine in about a year and they work fine.

They probably used a ball bearing fan in it, from what iv'e noticed with my case fans after a week they make that clicking noise, iv'e had 3 different Antec 1200 cases in the last 3 years and every fan in them has done it, honestly i have to put my ear up to it to hear it too, but if you shut your PC down for 5-10 minutes and start it back up it will probably be louder than usual for a couple of minutes until the sleeve warms up and expands or the balls contact more lube.

It's pretty normal specially with hydro sleeve fans like i have but one thing you can do is take the housing (blades) off the rotary pull the cylinder away from the prong and put some toy train oil in it or some hutchins car grease, it's just going to make that noise again in a month or so though, when the fans run all the time it's natural that the bearings loose a lot of the lube, i haven't greased mine in about a year and they work fine.

yeah i probly should of listed what PSU i have its this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256059 ill probly just leave it its not hurting anything and i have a 3 year warenty on it so.

yeah i probly should of listed what PSU i have its this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256059 ill probly just leave it its not hurting anything and i have a 3 year warenty on it so.

No harm in a little worry though. Just keep it in the back of your mind, look at it once a day to make sure it hasn't stopped spinning.

It say's in the description: "Efficient Cooling A 135mm ball bearing fan plus hexagon cutouts increase overall airflow in the power supply enclosure and help remove heat from the chassis simultaneously."

They all make noise, even the one's in $50,000 cars make noise after a month you just can't hear it over the engine, i take them off in the shop all the time replacing radiators or what not and spin them to make sure they're free flowing and they have the same tick, most likely in these fans it's the balls making contact with each other as another one rolls around behind it.

also that PSU will shut itself off at 110C on any capacitor which will be way before any melting point.

No harm in a little worry though. Just keep it in the back of your mind, look at it once a day to make sure it hasn't stopped spinning.

It say's in the description: "Efficient Cooling A 135mm ball bearing fan plus hexagon cutouts increase overall airflow in the power supply enclosure and help remove heat from the chassis simultaneously."

They all make noise, even the one's in $50,000 cars make noise after a month you just can't hear it over the engine, i take them off in the shop all the time replacing radiators or what not and spin them to make sure they're free flowing and they have the same tick, most likely in these fans it's the balls making contact with each other as another one rolls around behind it.

also that PSU will shut itself off at 110C on any capacitor which will be way before any melting point.

yeah very true ill keep an eye on it thanks alot. :D

Back