• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I missing something?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Meathead

When something fails I always think about what went wrong. Well, I had a 980x fail on me today after very short usage under stock settings in 40C temps and it made me question my corsair hx850.

With the "worst case scenario power draw" came out to 719 watts using the calculator in the sticky. That's a 980x, gtx 580, mcp-655 water pump, 5 140mm fans, 6 120MM fans, 1 120gb vertex 2 ssd, 1 500gb hdd, 1 asus xonar essence stx, and 12 GB of mushkin ram. Now logic plus what I've learned over the years tells me I'm fine PSU wise but am I missing something?

I know it's possible to get a bad chip but I would think the odds of such an expensive processor failing so fast would be slim enough to wonder about other areas.

Where did you get that 'worst case' number? Its not even close. I cant imagine you hitting more than 400W at the wall with IBT and Furmark running at stock settings.

Where did you get that 'worst case' number? Its not even close. I cant imagine you hitting more than 400W at the wall with IBT and Furmark running at stock settings.

I got it from the sticky calculator. Thats with an OC though thats why I called it max possible draw. I know it wasn't pulling that much at stock but under full load, it may have the potential. It was not from any wattage meter.

I planned to fold with cpu+gpu so I'm assuming I'll get somewhat close to that with a conservative OC folding away though and its hitting the 80% mark in being loaded

Last edited:
Meathead,

Lemme back it up here..........how do you know the CPU failed so everyone knows what you're seeing.

Meathead,

Lemme back it up here..........how do you know the CPU failed so everyone knows what you're seeing.

No problem. I bought the chip second hand but it was rma return unused and it looking at it verified it because it was definitely pristine condition. Just getting that part straight that it is brand new.

I booted the board and cpu after clearing cmos with the an ek supreme cooling it. I checked temps and they were 40/41C steady so I proceeded to start changing settings and bios locked up. Machine rebooted and said FAILED OVERCLOCK when booting. Genie OC was not lit up and was disabled in bios so it was all stock settings.

Machine then shut down by itself and would not post anymore. So I tried popping in my 920 and the rig fires right up. The 980x gets stuck on cpu in my rampage III extreme post lights. I also get a cpu initialized error post code on the msi board. Straight clean cpu failure I'm pretty positive. I've got up to date bios's according to msi and asus support to make sure its not a bios issue with the 980.

My 920 is running just fine in the computer so I'm 100% positive the rig is good and the cpu was just bad. I also just realized that the wattage calculator says recommended PSU wattage and not an estimated power draw. -1 for my poor reading skills

Last edited:
No problem. I bought the chip second hand but it was rma return unused and it looking at it verified it because it was definitely pristine condition. Just getting that part straight that it is brand new.

I booted the board and cpu after clearing cmos with the an ek supreme cooling it. I checked temps and they were 40/41C steady so I proceeded to start changing settings and bios locked up. Machine rebooted and said FAILED OVERCLOCK when booting. Genie OC was not lit up and was disabled in bios so it was all stock settings.

Machine then shut down by itself and would not post anymore. So I tried popping in my 920 and the rig fires right up. The 980x gets stuck on cpu in my rampage III extreme post lights. I also get a cpu initialized error post code on the msi board. Straight clean cpu failure I'm pretty positive. I've got up to date bios's according to msi and asus support to make sure its not a bios issue with the 980.

My 920 is running just fine in the computer so I'm 100% positive the rig is good and the cpu was just bad. I also just realized that the wattage calculator says recommended PSU wattage and not an estimated power draw. +1 for reading skills

Meathead,

I aked because I've never seen a failed CPU and of course I wouldn't know the error messages that are displayed. Thank you!

I got it from the sticky calculator. Thats with an OC though thats why I called it max possible draw. I know it wasn't pulling that much at stock but under full load, it may have the potential. It was not from any wattage meter.

I planned to fold with cpu+gpu so I'm assuming I'll get somewhat close to that with a conservative OC folding away though and its hitting the 80% mark in being loaded
Just saying I dont think it has that potential unless the overclock you are speaking of consists of LN2 type voltage numbers and clocks speeds for both the CPU and GPU. Even then I still dont see 700W as possible.

EDIT: Oops looks like you figured that out.

Anyway, unless the PSU is going bad, that isnt the issue. Break out the DMM and check the rails under idle and load is about all you can do. Try using a known good PSU if you have one.

Meathead,

I aked because I've never seen a failed CPU and of course I wouldn't know the error messages that are displayed. Thank you!

Me neither haha first time for me too and I've had atleast a handful of cpu's over the years. Thats why I'm probably just being paranoid about my other hardware causing issues. A couple chips I've had weren't stable but never a brick after such short use. They are giving me a 990x though so I can't complain too much

Just saying I dont think it has that potential unless the overclock you are speaking of consists of LN2 type voltage numbers and clocks speeds for both the CPU and GPU. Even then I still dont see 700W as possible.

Yea you're right I went back to the calculator and went over it and it's saying it recommends a PSU wattage to get not what the system draw would be. Thanks for finding what I missed! I was just trying to find something wrong cuz it is my first clearcut defective on arrival cpu that I've ever had.

voltages are spot on compared with a known good fluke meter and my ax1200 in my test bench. Well looks like I didn't need to post but maybe it'll save someone else from the trouble. Thanks for the help guys appreciate it.

Back