• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

am I overclocked too much?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozzlo

Senior whose title will pier
for some strange reason my computer decides to everyonce in a while to scramble an mp3 or start heavly artifacting in a game.

when I say scramble an mp3 i mean it sounds like it is just playing random frequencies that sounds like garbage.(allmost like that scrambling sound you hear with a dialup modem when your connecting).:D

but the strange thing is is that i can hit the stop button and then hit play and it plays normal.

and it dosen't just have small artifacts... the artifacts are usually large and manyof them. In allmost every game i've played. but a single restart of the game and the artifacts dissappear and more often than not don't reappear for the rest of the day.

ive run prime 95 for about 6 hours with no probs and i just built this rig a week and a half ago.

i don't see it being the ram cause the ram is actually underclocked.

since this is my first real overclock, my question is could my overclock cause this.

see sig for rig specs and temps.
spread spec is off
turbo mode disabled.
(psudo pat) off

ozzlo

Something else...if your SouthBridge doesnt have any cooling...either passive or active...then you should cool your SB, this usally solves sound issues when OCing...

drop the sound aceleration a notch, and see if that fixes the mp3 prob. other than that.. because I know little about p4 systems, I dont know.. maybe theres a little OC of the PCI/AGP ?..
I those things continue, I wouldndt discard the possibility that the chip is scewed, or begining to be.

my south bridge is cool to the touch and my pci bus is locked at 33/66. As for the sound drivers they are the latest updates but i will look into lowering the sound acceleration.

additional info
my graphics card has never artifacted even when overclocked and currently running at default speed.

also I've never taken the voltage past .1v over stock and am currently @ .055v over stock. Is that too low for my current overclock?

ozzlo

Have You tried unistalling all drivers ( mobo & video) , restarting, then install latest drivers? That may help to erase any remnants of any old drivers.I wouldn't raise any voltage on the video card. As for as the cpu, run prime or hot cpu tester pro for stability.

about the sound, are you downloading music off of kazaa or some other p2p? if so it is the copyright protection encrypted in some songs making the "frequency" noise.

Back