• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I the only one who actually likes Metro UI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What do you think of Metro UI?

• Love Metro UI, it's the future!

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Hate Metro UI, definitely a downgrade...

Votes: 45 53.6%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 18 21.4%
  • Metro UI???

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Windows XP for life!

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

txus.palacios

Just wondering. Would love if someone made this a poll. :3

I find the Metro UI to be a complete redesign of Windows, and, as soon as it takes off, it will be a very nice feature of Windows 8, maybe even increase productivity, I found myself doing tasks faster with Metro UI than Aero.

Just wondering! :thup:

It belongs on a tablet to me. I doubt you are the only one, but from my limited exposure to it, I do not like it so far.

im not a fan of the metro ui for desktops, i guess its going to be like marmite, some hate it some love it, but i think it does work better on tablets, and im not a fan of tablets.

im not a fan of the metro ui for desktops, i guess its going to be like marmite, some hate it some love it, but i think it does work better on tablets, and im not a fan of tablets.

pretty much my sentiment.

The metro UI is going to be AWESOME on a tablet interface and thats about it.

Tried win 8 on my desktop and laptop... and everything is multiple more clicks than it is in win 7 and just doesnt feel right.

That and like stated, tablets are kinda meh IMO.... with ultrabooks out and about id rather have a full featured laptop around the same size.

as others have said, the os/interface would be fine on a tablet or touchscreen pc, not for a normal or enterprise desktop

I voted indifferent. for a desktop PC I would hate it, for a portable touch screen device I would love it.

I'm forcing myself to hold off from judgement until I see it finally properly in place and used in anger. But my initial instinct has been one of horror. I went back to it and tried to give it second, fairer go. But I still didn't like it.

As others have said, I think it will be the best thing there is on tablets. I have WP7 on my phone and it is by far the best phone O/S I have used and I expect Win8 to be similar.

But on a desktop as a power user... I'm nervous, lets put it like that.

pretty much my sentiment.

The metro UI is going to be AWESOME on a tablet interface and thats about it.

Tried win 8 on my desktop and laptop... and everything is multiple more clicks than it is in win 7 and just doesnt feel right.

That and like stated, tablets are kinda meh IMO.... with ultrabooks out and about id rather have a full featured laptop around the same size.

it seems like with every new version of windows it takes more and more clicks to get to what you want :rofl:

IMO metro isnt "horrible" you just need to get used to it on the desktop. on the other hand, i feel microsoft should have prompted you if you want to enable or disable it from the get go. some people do not like it, and feel its not a valuable addition to the whole "PC Computing" revolution.

earlier today I was playing around with the Win 8 consumer preview in Parallels, I am not impressed feels like a big step down on a desktop.

On the phone,tablet and xbox I can understand and like the unified look, but I found on the desktop it is a bit strange to use.

the main problem I can see is that the general public use windows mainly because its familiar as even though it has got more polished with more modern releases like Vista and 7 it still feels very similar to use. I know a lot of people who are going to hate and I am not sure how many companies (if any) are going to adopt the new metro style for their staff I am sure many will revert to the classic look if they even update to win8.

Metro just doesn't make sense in a corporate office environment. For the staff that are always on the road armed with a tablet or phone, yeah that is okay.

I said love however.. I would love it for say my HTPC, Tablet, phone etc For my normal say gaming pc etc I suspect I will disable it but never know I may grow to like it. I just find it more of a pain to find simple settings etc. I'm more annoyed with the live account setting while i like the idea I wish I could link it to a local account for shares etc

For me it stinks. That is not to say it is bad though. I think there are allot of people who will love it.

I thought windows 8 was based on windows 7. But after installing it yesterday, I realized it was just a port from the iphone. I also had not realized the port was by the same "programmers" that did the port for Resident evil.

What was most impressive is microsoft was able to transfer all of the navigational inefficiencies from a 3 inch iphone screen to my 27 inch screen, that took some serious effort. Just the power button placement alone, having to find that spot in corner, slide up, then push settings, then power button...brings back memories of being on a plane trying to get my fing phone on proper setting with one hand holding luggage.

Never again will I travel in aggravation of navigating the webb on an iphone, for I know my desktop at home will perform exactly the same way!

would love to have it on my tf201 prime,not planing on having it any wear near my desktop tho.

Just wondering. Would love if someone made this a poll. :3

I find the Metro UI to be a complete redesign of Windows, and, as soon as it takes off, it will be a very nice feature of Windows 8, maybe even increase productivity, I found myself doing tasks faster with Metro UI than Aero.

Just wondering! :thup:

I voted 'Indifferent' because there are things I like about and things I don't like as much about it. I'll say this, the first two times I tried Win8, I found Metro a horrible step backward. Now I've found that I'm used to it and it's actually okay to me. I think on Tablets it's going to be really great. I have a Windows Phone 7device which is similar in concept and it's the best phone UI I've used. On Desktop I find it... Hmmm. Unneccessary, but not a problem.

I have tried to be objective on this. We've all seen cases where people just dislike something because it's different or new. So how do you get out of doing that yourself? I tried to identify the things I disliked and then consider if the principle actually held up under examination. For example, I disliked Metro because I thought it was bad for power users like me who had a tonne of different programs they would typically use and scrolling through the Metro interface looking for a particular tile rather than just clicking on the Start menu took longer.

So I went through all the programs I regularly use on my Desktop and tallied them up. Came to about 20 regular progams and a handful of obscure ones which realistically, I shouldn't be dismissing an entire interface on because every couple of weeks I would need to make an extra click or two. Now on my laptop screen which is 1366 x 768 (when are square aspect laptops going to come back into fashion? :( ), Metro defaults to showing four rows of five icons. So twenty programs. That matches the shortlist of programs I actually want! :D And actually that is deceptive for two reasons because (a) the total is for my Desktop where the screen is much larger (1920x1200) and I'll get many more tiles by default; and (b) three columns of those tiles on my laptop are actually double-width ones. Reducing them is as simple as right-clicking and selecting smaller. That takes even my laptop up to 30 programs at the ready. So basically, I have a full-screen Start menu which is likely to have all my common programs ready there for me. I've found that they're actually pretty easy to look through and find what you want. Takes about six or seven launches of something before you're doing it automatically. The Metro screen is actually launched in the same way as the Start menu. Either move the mouse to the bottom left or tap the Windows key. So basically, I have to concede I was just prejudice at the start. I just thought that it looked dumbed down but actually it takes the same or fewer clicks to launch what I want than in Win7.

Metro is obviously more than just a Start menu, even if that's what it will be for most Desktop users at first. On a tablet I think it makes an excellent holding screen. I can tell you from WP7 that it's really nice to look down and see those clear tiles listing all sorts of information and providing an instant way to delve deeper. They're definitely onto a winner on tablet, imo. I've also taken the time to look into the development side of Metro and it's an absolute dream. Easy use of Vector graphics, revised APIs for laying out your program automatically at different resolutions and DPIs... I have to give it some points for all this because I think we're going to see some really good-looking applications for Metro. The marketplace system also gives us the positive aspects of Apple's "walled garden" without (I hope) taking away the freedom to leave that Garden (I just hope they don't go much farther down this road. They're at a nice place now, further down the road may not be so much. Windows on ARM will be skimming that "too far" zone, I suspect). So basically I see Metro being pretty cool. It doesn't take away my Desktop which was the horror I had when I first saw it. It's actually very easy and fast to flip out of Metro and back just by tapping the Windows key.

Downsides: there currently seems to be a bit of a tendency to make things full screen Metro apps without any good reason. Why on Earth my MP3 player should be a full screen thing I don't know. MS's blog say that they found most applications on a laptop spent their lives maximised when used. Hence the logic behind defaulting to that full screen look and feel. And for some things it works well. I like on my laptop the extra real estate I get with Internet Explorer for example. At least I did once I figured out how to bloody manage the different tabs. (hint: right-click on the screen to save anyone else tearing their hair out). For other things like the previously mentioned MP3 player, it's pretty silly on the Desktop to have it full screen. It runs in the background though so I suppose unless you must know which track is currently playing etc., you can just swap back to Desktop and it will do its thing. Still not convinced by that, but I can live with it. I think there's enough in Win8 to make me put up with that.

Anyway, I've promoted Win8 more than enough on these forums now! Considering most of my work is programming on Linux and I wouldn't have it any other way, I think I need to to go and start telling people how great Debian is to balance it out. :D

Metro. Horrible shock at first. Not bad once you're used to it. Will probably be loved by people who don't spend their lives getting worked up on forums. ;)

EDIT: LOL! I didn't realize I'd posted in this thread already a few weeks ago. Funny reading my replies next to each other! :D

I think on Tablets it's going to be really great.

Wife and I are buying tablets this xmas, and waited for windows 8 with touch screen just for that. And I agree, windows 8 is designed for mouseless tablet and is going to be a step forward for tablets. And no question comparing an annoying small iphone for navigating net, vs winodws 7 laptop and a clunky scrollpad, vs an all touch screen windows 8 while lying in bed watching tv while surfing or sitting outside surfing in chair like wife does sometimes, windows 8 will be a step in the right direction and looking forward to it on tablet pc.

But putting a touch screen/mouseless interface gui design, with a few workaround tweaks so it kinda works on a desktop though with more clicks to get you what you want....well lets just say it wont be on my desktop, unless their is some major customization ability that allows it to at least look like it was designed for efficient desktop use.

I actually like the Metro.... I care more about performance than visual, so I hope Windows 8 performs better overall than 7, if so then I will for sure switch to Windows 8.

Back