• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM1 overclocking thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
Since I haven't seen any other threads about AM1 overclocking etc. then here it is.
Please share your results, tips or anything else about AM1 platform.

Starting from me, I just got Athlon 5150 1.6GHz and ASUS AM1I-A ITX motherboard.

motherboard looks like this

AM1I-A.jpg

What can I say for now:

Memory:
- Samsung HYK0/HCK0/HCH9 are working fine
- Hynix MFR - Avexir 2666 C11 are not booting ( even at 1333 )
- Elpida Hyper is working fine till ~DDR3-2000

Max APU clock ( I still have no idea if it's pcie, bclk, fsb or anything else ) = ~150MHz but when I set anything higher then board is booting as 151 and nothing more ( max that I was trying was 170MHz ).

That's all for now. I will try to add some results when I make something better.

Athlon 5150 1.6GHz @ 2.48GHz
apu1.jpg

I can't make memory run above ~2080. At higher APU bus there is available one more memory ratio but it's not working. In theory it could run at 2700+. Max memory on stock is 1600 and it's only single channel due to APU limitations.

Last edited:
Yesterday I made couple of tests on IGP and I can only say that CPU can make up to 150MHz bus but graphics card can't. I had to lower bus frequency to about 135-140MHz ( CPU ~2200MHz ) to make it pass 3DMarks. ~600MHz OC is still good result.
Memory limit is at about 1050MHz ( DDR3-2100 ) but any timing adjustments are working like on any other AMD CPU/APU and is possible to make it run @1866 7-8-8 or something similar. Command Rate 1N is working fine.

If anyone else have AM1 and is playing with it then can also share with OC or performance results. I hit bus wall so I don't think I will have much more to show.

Ill have to dig up some of my tests on the A10-7850k I bought for me dad Woomack. I know it's not apples to apples but it's still an APU. One thing I learned, which I should have known in the first place was, the graphics really responds to higher speed ram.

This APU is from new SoC series. There are many changes but the same as all APU it likes high memory speed. I have little problem to set it optimal as I have to set lower memory clock when I raise CPU/APU clock above 2200MHz. Then memory is running at about 1800-1866. ~2200 could give some more power.
I will try to find a way to set higher memory clock but I'm not sure if it's possible keeping higher APU clock.

Hi there, I hope this thread is still active. Could you help me with my settings?

My whole system:

AMD Athlon 5150 (With Integrated R3 Series Radeon HD 8400)
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Jaguar/AMD-Athlon 5150 - AD5150JAH44HM.html

Asus AM1I-A Mini itx mobo (latest BIOS 0603)
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/AM1IA/

4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHZ
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz8gx3m2a1600c9b

Western Digital 320GB SATA 2
http://www.primelec.com/wd-wd3200av...desktop-hard-drive-hp-484054-003#.VUZQNJOJjDc

Cooler Master 110 Mini
http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mini-itx-mini-series/mini110/

O.S. Windows 8.1 (HD Set to IDE in BIOS).

So I´ve tried two settings in Bios and both pass the Windows Logo and work.

In BIOS I disabled the next options:

PSS Support = AMD Cool & Quiet
C6 Mode
CPB = Core Performance Boost.

Stock JEDEC and XMP.jpg

In image are the Stock Timmings for the 4GB RAm Stick. I´ve been messing with O.C. settings in two different ways in BIOS. So I would appreciate If u could tell me which one is better for the RAM and the APU, or If I need to mess with something else.

So the first method Im using is: Advanced Mode in BIOS with F7 key, then Ai Tweaker. One of the options there is Ai Overclock Tuner (Its in auto). In memory Frecuency I choose 1066MHZ. Then going back to Ai Overclock Tuner I choose manual setting and APU Frequency appears. I raise that option to 125 so the memory frecuency goes up to 1333MHZ. CPU Ratio, NB Frequency and DRAM Timings stay in auto.

Images number 3, 4 and 5 are the new values with CPU-Z. The Memory and the NB frecuencies are constantly changing by a slight variation (Images 4 and 5). And what about those timmings? are they ok?

P1.jpg P2.jpg P3.jpg

In gaming while playing Alex Austin´s "Sub Rosa" I get this numbers using RTSS (from MSI Afterburner) and HWiNFO64:

GPU Clock 333.3 - 750 MHZ. Stock numbers without O.C. are 266.7 - 600MHZ
GPU Memory Clock 333 - 533.0 MHZ. Stock numbers without O.C. are 333 - 800MHZ

The second O.C. option is with the same method explained above but in memory frecuency I choose 1333MHZ and then raise the APU Frecuency to 120, so the memory frec. stays at 1599MHZ. If I go 121 on the APU Frecuency the memory goes to 1613MHZ. I know this RAMs can go up the XMP frecuency but I don´t wanna take the risk without consulting people who O.C. here.

Images #6 and #7 are O.C. values. Here the DRAM and NB frecuency are fixed. And again, what about those timmings?

P4.jpg P5.jpg

With the same game, values are:

GPU Clock: 320 - 720MHZ. Stock numbers without O.C. are 266.7 - 600MHZ.
GPU Memory Clock: 333 - 667MHZ. Stock numbers without O.C. are 333 - 800MHZ

These 2 O.C. options are showed as DRAM Command Mode 1 in the DRAM Timing Control (Bios).

The second option for changing values in BIOS (which I don´t know If Its better or worse) is:

Instead of switching from Auto to manual in the Ai Overclock Tuner, theres a third option called D.O.C.P. as an XMP Profile and u can choose the different RAM Frecuencies as in Auto.
This option will keep the 9-9-9-24 timings with Command Mode 2 in DRAM Timing Control. You can see the results in images number 8 to 11.

P7.jpg P8.jpg P9.jpg P10.jpg

What are your thoughts? I think FSB DRAM are too uneven, but I dont know how to tweak that, also I´ve heard that in AM1 u could get data corruption by O.C. This is what they told me so far. Quote: "The ASUS board you have is the only one that's any good at that, but there are still problems with RAM and even hard drives on overclocked AM1 because the PCIe, legacy, and memory busses all run based on a divisor of the bus clock. Based on what I've heard, make sure you keep your RAM close to its rated speed, and run your HDDs and SSDs in IDE mode"

BTW, right now I have stock settings with C6, Core Performance Boost and AMD Cool & Quiet DISABLED. Long story. I think the PSU can´t handle the low powered Kabini when C6 and Core Performance Boost are enabled. Cool and Quiet I think Its ok, but Im gonna make sure that this config is stable for a month. I had so many system freezes and reboots while at desktop and when playing mp3s, or when analyzing my HD. I´ve never had a reboot while gaming. I found a thread related to my issue, the guy had to go through 7 different PSUs so he could O.C. (same apu and mobo as us). He helped me a lot, but at the end we never really found my issue...He proved me that 13.12 catalyst drivers are way better for O.C. (20% better) and theyre way more stable compared to 14.2 Omega. But I just can´t go and try 7 differents PSUs...Same hangs and reboots happened with a Corsair CX430 V2 while MP3 playback. So I think It has something to be with Core Performance Boost. The funny thing is that I can O.C. and he was almost sure that my PSU wont let me do that due to the Random reboots.

I´m just gonna quote the guy: "The sad truth is mostly different…
yeah, er i forget, there’s somewhere in the BIOS the option for the extended power savings with an newer kind of PSU; well, think twice before enabling it; i did several tests on that power saving funtion enable with several PSU’s as i mentioned in the beginning and i came to the result, that it does something as u correctly mentioned with the erroneous driver icw the GPU when low usage occurs, where the power consumption falls to an uncontrolable level (for the PSU, which in this case is wrongly addressed by the BIOS setting)".

Wonder If u had this kind of troubles at some point.

Welp I deviate the subject... I will appreciate If u could give some advice about the O.C., and what about yours? Is It stable? no data corruption?.

Regards.

Last edited:
Just a heads up Chupacabra333...

...This is a year old thread. Thread starter Woomack, tests many motherboards for a short period of time and then moves on since he works where he can more easily get to different parts than many of us. If you read what he wrote, he said that he could not use FSB greater than 135-140. He also stated that if he tried to clock up the ram he could not get the faster cpu speed. He pretty much outlined the 'problems' he faced and in the end he did not seem to ever overcome them. IE: fast cpu and really fast ram at the same time.

So Woomack may see this thread and respond. I expect it is most likely he tested the ITX board setup and moved on but one never knows.

RGone...

I never had the random re-boot issues. But a couple things should be said here. I was using a 1K PSU and all I did was bench the 5350 and the a 3850. So I couldn't tell you about data corruption or anything along those lines. I could be wrong but I don't think the PCIe frequency is tied to the bus frequency.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I would really like to know If First Method with Second O.C. values is the best (Images 6 and 7). Also I raised the voltage to 0.00500 in Bios so I can emulate the same voltage when CPB was enabled (1.308v).

Forgot to mention that those system hangs and reboots were there since I build the system and with stock values (around February the 20th). Like I said to u guys, theres a whole thread where I talked about the problem. I´ve never O.C. this combo until a couple of days ago. Also found Woomack thread an then I join the forum.

I can´t prove yet that my reboots reside when CPB is enabled (I disabled C6 long ago, and since may the second I disabled CPB again). Its just that I´ve made so many changes on this damn machine...Some of the problems reside on 14.12 Omega Drivers, just like my buddy said, but not all people have problems with Omega, I had a Radeon 7850 with those ones and not a single problem.

Also, theres a guy here that had similar problems with an Asrock motherboard. He started two threads. In one those, some people told him to disable C6.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...New-AMD-5150-rig-wont-shut-down?highlight=AM1
I had similar issues when trying to shut down the system sometimes (It just didnt turn off), and I think that one was related to Fast Boot enabled in Bios and in Windows 8.1. (Google the issue a lot)
So both are disabled for me.

Then he post another thread related to his mobo. I don´t know If he already RMA the Asrock mobo. I´ll try to contact him on his post:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-ITX-continues-to-give-problems?highlight=AM1

The article that made me disable C6 was this one:
http://techreport.com/news/24738/few-psus-support-haswell-c6-c7-low-power-states

But C6 disabled didn´t solve the whole problem. I insist that It has to do with CPB somehow, I just don´t know If the problem resides on the Mobo, APU drivers, or the APU Itself. But still, this is just a theory, If "Theocnoob" still has the Asrock and CPB disabled fix his problems, well, that way we could isolate even more the issue.

Or maybe, as my buddy said: "your PSU is already dying". But then, why would I have the same issue with a Rock Solid Corsair CX430 V2 with a year in service? Same problem happened with that one while mp3 playback.

I enabled AMD Cool & Quiet again, Im pretty sure this option is not the problem of those system hangs and reboots. Since may the 2nd I don´t have a single reboot (but too soon to give conclusions again)
Im expecting to keep this way. CPB must be the problem...I hope
Also no O.C. right now. Not until many people tell me is safe to O.C. with Kabini.

Regards.

Last edited:
I just don't think it's the PSU. Johnny Guru gives it a pretty good rating http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=239 and that set-up shouldn't need much power. You say you're gaming but are you using a seperate GFX card? Maybe give us a list of all your patrs. Like RGone said you should start a new thread since sometimes older ones don't get a lot of attention.

Well, so much for my theory...I was just listening one mp3 song minutes ago with Foobar2000 and again, the classic buzzer when the system freeze, and a reboot. These reboots are shown as Event 41 Kernel Power Bugcheck 0. So Core Performance Boost didnt do the trick...I just disable AMD Cool and Quiet again. On April 16th I left the motherboard and the APU with the re-seller and they told me that they didnt found any troubles (I left the combo only a week there), but Im just guessing that they didnt even playback music with the HW. They told me that If the problems persist, I should bring the whole system. This has been a pain in the neck, just can´t isolate the problem without another mobo or apu, andIm willing to spent more cash on something I wont use and It will be hard to sell again. So, the problem Its kinda hard to isolate. Could be the 200w Cooler Master PSU from the CM 100 Mini, the mobo or the apu. The HD and RAM are older but they were pretty reliable with another PC, and I double check these 2 with software. I only used the CX430 V2 some few minutes with this combo, tried to re-create the problem when mp3 playback and It didnt take much time for the system to freeze with the sound buzzer and the reboot. At that point I was like: "Thats It!! Im going with the re-seller".

The list of my HW is above, just when I repply to Woomack for O.C. Advice.

Youre probably right about starting a new thread. The system hangs and reboots persist even with CPB disabled. I could also share the whole thread where I talked about the problem.

Lets see If AMD Cool and Quiet disabled does the trick. I don´t think so...

Im going for 3 months with this system on may 18th. The mobo has 1 year warranty. I didn´t want to go through the whole thing of RMA. It just seems exhausting here in my country.

BTW, Im using the igpu. Not dedicated graphics card.

Last edited:
...This is a year old thread. Thread starter Woomack, tests many motherboards for a short period of time and then moves on since he works where he can more easily get to different parts than many of us. If you read what he wrote, he said that he could not use FSB greater than 135-140. He also stated that if he tried to clock up the ram he could not get the faster cpu speed. He pretty much outlined the 'problems' he faced and in the end he did not seem to ever overcome them. IE: fast cpu and really fast ram at the same time.

So Woomack may see this thread and respond. I expect it is most likely he tested the ITX board setup and moved on but one never knows.

RGone...

Most hardware which I'm testing, I have to buy myself. It just looks like I'm getting stuff from somewhere as to get something new I have to sell "older" parts. Too low budget to keep everything ( some guys know how much I am earning ). If I'm disappointed of something or it simply overclocks bad then sometimes I'm selling it faster. I don't have good access to new hardware at work anymore. Almost only laptops and servers around and not even so often.
This AM1 I bought and I still have it but I replaced APU to 5350 about a month ago. Unfortunelly something has died and I get graphics card error ( which is inside the APU ). Will go to RMA soon.

Anyway, on this platform best is to keep bclk at 120-125 MHz max using IGP. Depends from APU it can be slightly lower. Additionally you have to adjust memory and NB clocks. If you pick too low value it will generate errors or won't boot at all. I was using higher clocked memory as it was giving me better stability.
2GHz CPU clock = 125bclk = 1000NB = 2000 memory clock <-- this was stable for ~2 months 24/7 in NAS on Server 2012R2. I was also testing virtual machines. For 2GHz I actually could lower CPU voltage below stock but I don't remember exactly what I set.

I was disabling everything useless like C stages but really there are not many settings required to adjust if you are overclocking. Memory may need higher timings than in SPD/XMP so when you have 1600 9-9-9 kit then check 10-10-10. Command Rate 2N, TRFC 160+. TRFC 90-110 was working good only on 2GB modules.
I have no idea if all memory IC are working good on this platform. For sure new Hynix MFR and Samsungs in 4 and 8GB modules are working good.

I will test 5350 when it back from RMA. Right now I'm not sure if it's APU or mobo giving that vga errors but I have no spare parts to check it.

Last edited:
Thanks for coming in Woomack...

Most hardware which I'm testing, I have to buy myself. It just looks like I'm getting stuff from somewhere as to get something new I have to sell "older" parts..

No man I did not mean to say that you got parts for free but only that it was a little easier to get your hands on parts since they used to come 'through' where you worked. Even that you say is not happening now at work place. IF I could go and get off shelf, even if I had to pay a price for the part...well that would be somewhat easier than sitting down and placing an order on net and waiting for it to come in and testing to see if is DOA in time to make timely RMA window. And now you have lost your easier to get hands on situation. Sorry man.

Sorry to hear the APU rig has gone stupid on you and that it is not certain whether it be the motherboard or the APU. That 'not knowing' is not fun at all. Hope it gets sorted for you. Again, thanks for giving shout out.

RGone...ster.

This issue is weird. Board is giving me "beeps" like it was broken graphics card or graphics memory. The same with IGP or discrete graphics card. When I remove RAM then is other sound but I was checking 3-4 different memory kits and was exactly the same. Also weird would be if it was CPU as I got it maybe 4-5 weeks ago and it was working for maybe 2-3h in total.

In my NAS is working other Kabini but there is 1.5GHz on Biostar board which has no OC options.

Also weird would be if it was CPU as I got it maybe 4-5 weeks ago and it was working for maybe 2-3h in total.

Over the years of dealing with 'electronic' stuff it has seemed if it passed the 2-3 day and then the 2 week marker, the electronic unit would last its' normal life span. Knowing or feeling that...when I did tech support for mobo company, I always wanted to know just how long the motherboard had been in service. If the issue cropped up just short of 2 weeks then RMA was about the only fix. So it is still a freeken guess but I wonder if the APU is the failed part?

RGone...

I have often problems like I test something for 2-3 months , all is working fine, next I move to something else and motherboard/graphics card is not in use for next 2-3 months. When I back to this hardware it's dead. Last year I made RMA for 2 mobos, 2 CPUs and 1 graphics card which died in the same weird way. Now I have one GB mobo in RMA.

Back