• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM2+ mobo for OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AM2+ boards use DDR2.
AM3 boards use DDR3.

However, AM3 CPU's are backward compatible with the AM2+ socket and will run very well in those boards - using DDR2 RAM.

Your 7550 will not run in an AM3 motherboard. While there were some early rumors of AM3 boards supporting DDR2 RAM I still haven't seen one in real life and, honestly, don't expect to ever see one ...

Ok thanks for clarifying about the ram. So it seems like I cant use ddr3 with my current cpu, which is a shame because when I upgrade to a phenom Id like to have ddr3. But for now I can only afford a mobo. And what I meant about the socket is something that is am2+/am3 not just a am3 board because I know the 7550 wont work in it. So any am2+ board will work with an am3 cpu if I understand you correctly? New egg has their am2+/am3 boards and am2+ boards listed seperately. If they are backward compatible that will really open up my options for other boards I didnt consider before because it was only labeled am2+.

Theoretically all AM3 CPUs will run on AM2+ boards BUT many manufacturers haven't updated the BIOS on older AM2+ boards to handle AM3 so you should double-check the manufacturers website for supported CPUs. I'm pretty sure any AMD 790 chipset board will support AM3 - I don't remember the nVidia chipset numbers ...

So any advice on what board I should get that will support crossfire and overclocking for an am2+ socket? I've been researching the one I linked before and it seems like it has a lot of flaws. Ive been checking out geeks.com new egg and tiger and dont really find much in the $100 price range.

There is a very solid, good over-clocking Gigabyte board available that's about the best bang-for-buck board you can get if you're serious about OC'ing. Unfortunately, it runs $110 at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387

If you have to drop below $100 for a board then you might have issues to deal with. There are a couple that are OK 'clockers but you may have to experiment with the BIOS release or learn to deal with hex for your OC'ing entries ...

Looks like a really good mobo. I'll be ordering that one soon. Why do some people say they couldnt run a 4 core phenom on it? Does it support it? I only have an athlon x2 but I plan on upgradding to something i can OC the hell out of later on.

I think they must be talking about unlocking the 4th core of an X3. I've never heard of any problems running a Phenom X4 on these.

The Gigabyte is one of the few boards that will unlock the 4th core but not all the CPU's can be unlocked, which some people just haven't figured out yet ...

Good to know, I appreciate it. Be sure to check out my new build thread. I'm also reading your post on OC'ing an AM2. My goal would be to get my 7550 up to 3ghz stable, from what I've read you cant get past 3ghz without water cooling or some other extreme cooling.

Though I dont care about sli (to much $ and power draw over just 1 double priced card), my board can do it, and its a great board indeed.
Tried and tested and great performing chipset, top quality componenets, excellent cooling, lots of driver and bios updates.

Gigabyte MA790GP-UD4H
790gx with onboard hd3300gfx (mines disabled, great for a backup if your vid card dies tho, it runs modern games at least ok to hold you till you can afford a new gpu)
great passive cooling
no cheap capacitors, pcb is very thick and sturdy
2 pci-e slots
lots of hdd slots
bunch of pci-e 1x slots
looks nice
nice price (was 130 back in feb, surely can be found for cheaper now)

The 790*X chipsets are the best for an amd box. Fast, stable, tried and tested. And gigabyte (imo) makes the best 790 boards out there. Im a fan of asus and a few others too, but for AM2+/3 and Intel i7 generation stuff, its just hard to beat gigabyte for quality and price.

Though I dont care about sli (to much $ and power draw over just 1 double priced card), my board can do it, and its a great board indeed.
Tried and tested and great performing chipset, top quality componenets, excellent cooling, lots of driver and bios updates.

Gigabyte MA790GP-UD4H
790gx with onboard hd3300gfx (mines disabled, great for a backup if your vid card dies tho, it runs modern games at least ok to hold you till you can afford a new gpu)
great passive cooling
no cheap capacitors, pcb is very thick and sturdy
2 pci-e slots
lots of hdd slots
bunch of pci-e 1x slots
looks nice
nice price (was 130 back in feb, surely can be found for cheaper now)

The 790*X chipsets are the best for an amd box. Fast, stable, tried and tested. And gigabyte (imo) makes the best 790 boards out there. Im a fan of asus and a few others too, but for AM2+/3 and Intel i7 generation stuff, its just hard to beat gigabyte for quality and price.

Thanks for your recommendation, I actually just ordered the ma790x last night. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387&cm_re=ma790x-_-13-128-387-_-Product

Not having a back up for display is something I didnt put a lot of thought into. I guess when my vid card dies Ill have to deal with it then.:shrug:

Edit: Thanks for pointing that out. The more I think about it the more I know it will be important for me to have a back up when my card dies because 1. Im a student who depends on his pc to do his homework 2. being a student I dont have the money whenever I feel like buying a new gpu. Not to mention the down time waiting for it to ship.

Unfortunately it looks like new egg doesnt take calls on weekends. I might have to wait for my shipment and then send it back for an exchange. Those boards are exactly the same except the ram clock and trade usb ports for a vga which is worth the extra $5 to me. Thanks again.

Edit 2: Ugh new egg doesnt it make it easy to just exchange for another item. I might just keep this board when it comes after all.

Last edited:
Back