• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM2 X2 3800 [Build Log]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
AM2 X2 3800 [Build Log 56K Warning!]

Folks,

Lucky people like me get to build computers for University research. This is a budget build for internet surfing and light computational tasks ;)

Components:

• [*]ASUS M2N-E NF 570-ULTRA
    [*]AMD64 AM2 X2 3800
    [*]RADEON X850XT
    [*]OCZ POWERSTREAM 520W
    [*]LITE-ON 16X DVD-RW
    [*]PQI TURBO DDR2 533 (MAB42GUOE-X2) 512 X 2 Mb
    [*]SEAGATE 160 Gb SATA-II
    [*]SONY FDD
    [*]THERMALTAKE MAMBO CASE
Its been a while since I posted here, so please let me know if somebody host the tons of build pics? For now, I'll be using imageshack. :)

Without further delay, lets look at the components first.

Motherboard (ASUS M2N-E):

This is a rather light-weight board! It is smaller in size than the DFI-NF4 series I've owned and a bit smaller than the ASUS P5W-DH 975X. It measures 12 x 9.5 inches. This board requires an EPS 12V capable PSU!

The layout:
img0502qd3.jpg

Cap Report:
The little ones say "TK" which means they are manufactured by Tosin Electronics Co, Japan. Relatively unknown and not a good company according to a few electronics threads I came across. For example, THIS is one such thread.
LINK TO DATASHEET (pdf)
img0504lh8.jpg

img0506va9.jpg

The big boys you see below are made by Panasonic, a very well known and reputed brand with a low failure rate and low ESR. Note that in this and the previous pictures, ASUS have skimped out a bit on adding a few more caps. Clearly, those empty slot next to the Panasonic is for another cap. I bet you will not see this with the SLI/Premium/Deluxe version of the board. If this were my personal build, I would add the correct cap immediately. :D

img0505pu0.jpg

This is how the socket layout looks. I'm not very happy about the proximity of the capacitors to the big heatpipe cooler. However, those caps are all Panasonic, so I think we should be o.k here. Again, if it were my personal build, I'd slap a fan on the heatsink. This rig will be overclocked only for testing purposes, but it will run completely at stock otherwise. :D

img0507da2.jpg

Now, lets take a look at some of the Aluminum-electrolytics being used. Actually, that's the only one I could find on the board. I'm not sure who makes them, so I'll update this part when I find out. Again, notice the vacant spots where the caps ought to have been. Cheap ********..lol! The 975X has zero empty capacitor slots. Well, this is clearly a cost cutting measure. Can't blame ASUS for it.

img0508fo8.jpg

Don't go away! More to come!

S-N

Last edited:
PSU, OCZ Powerstream:
Looks like OCZ have added a few things to their package. Particularly useful was the zet of velcro-ties and zip-ties. Also, there seems to be an extra set of 12V connectors for server motherboards (in Blue). I got this for about $100 AR. An excellent value for money. This unit is made by Topower, as most Powerstreams are. All newer OCZ models are made by Fortron/FSP/Sparkle.

img0501sa3.jpg

Assembled outside the case for POST test. Successful! (Is there anybody listening?---> Gotta love Queensryche!)

img0040hz2.jpg

Everything goes into the case now. A few words are in order about this case. Don't buy it. The only reason I got it was because it was cheap and I had to cut corners to afford the LCD and X2 3800. Flimsy Aluminum, cheap plastic, completely goes agaist the current "screwless" design philosophy. Shaky front panel. I could go on and on. Just not good enough for an enthusiast. However, it would serve its purpose in a non OC'ed, immovable scenario.

img0046xo8.jpg

img0040hz2.jpg

To be continued tomorrow, when I begin benching. This little pictoral write-up should prove helpful to first time system builders and overclockers.

Last edited:
CPU:

The CPU code is: ADA3800001AA5CU LDB4F 0620XPMW Q619242E60180
The CPU package is a lot smaller than the A64 version. Gone are the nice green paper holder, which was made out of recycled material. It has been replaced by cardboard cut-outs.

img0019ev4.jpg

The stock HSF has not changed. Time to take off the stock crap TIM and replace it with a smidgen of AS-5.

img0021lv5.jpg

Well, it looks like I'm not sure how to get the stock HSF in with zero effort. Maybe because I have never used any stock HSF, ever? Oh my goodness, looks like the stock HSF was designed by idiots. I had to be careful with that flimsy piece of garbage. The turning knob almost came off! Quite a horrible design actually.

Align the CPU's golden triangle with the marking on the mainboard and drop it in! This is a ZIF(Zero insertion force) socket, so its really simple.

img0026gs5.jpg

Next, lets apply a bit of Arctic-Silver 5. [Humming--> Wish you were here. Gotta love Pink Floyd!]

img0030ch4.jpg

Next comes the stock crap HSF. When in doubt--->RTFM! It's interesting to note that the manual contains info on how to mount Socket F HSF's, which AFAIK have not been released yet. Last row of instructions. :D

img0032kd5.jpg

Well, I live in a very cramped apartment and its shared with a couple of mates, so this is where I assemble stuff. Gotta love poor college students. PS* If any of you are thinking about inviting me for a meal, please feel free to say so!

img0001kq1.jpg

RAM:
Nothing spectacular. Just your garden variety DDR2. I had to work under a budget!

img0036wf3.jpg

img0038iw1.jpg

Presently burning in the CPU. Unfortunately, the BIOS is not behaving well. On stock voltage, I was able to push the CPU by a mere 200 MHz. I'll hunt for a decent BIOS and report on how things are progressing.

Sir. BOBSONATOR said:
Kool, so your college funded it?

Lucky goat.
:D

In the works is a "mini-cluster" of 20+ systems. That should get under-way for after a month or so. The nice thing is, I have complete leeway to choose any components in budget. So, yea biatch, I'm the Bruce L33t of my department. :santa:

Back