• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM3 Board Selection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Immortal_Hero

I have not kept up with HW the last year or so. What are some of the better boards? Consider the possibility of Xfire in this list please. I am looking for something that will handle at least a moderate OC.

There is a very well priced DFI 790FX board the classies , posted by yours truly :p

If you want a crossfire board it either a 790GX/890GX or more expensive 790FX.First 2 have an IGP and would run crossfire at x8/x8 ,later does not have an IGP but does have more PCi-e lanes.890GX with 850sb natively supports sata6 other then that not much difference between them all.Most boards will handle a moderate OC , just try to stick with Gigabyte, Asus ,DFI ,MSI, Biostar.Let us know you choice tho, for final validation:).

Last edited:
:welcome: back!

What CPU are thinking about getting, Immortal_Hero? That'll make a difference with board selection. If you're going for a 5xxBE or 9xxBE then almost anything will get you in the 3.6-3.8 GHz range. If you're going for a non-BE then you'll need something that can handle the higher clock speed.

The newer boards aren't field-tested very well yet but they have USB 3 and SATA III (6Gb/sec). If that's important to you then it'll cost more, if it's not then the well-tested "older" boards would be a better deal because they're cheaper but OC just as good.

Give us a clue so we can help ... :)

Last edited:
Totally forgot about 790x boards,can support crossfire as well at x8/x8 , whats you price range ?

Last edited:
Then I'd recommend an ASUS or Gigabyte 790X board. The 790X will handle 1x16 or 2x8 XFire. The ASUS is a little cheaper and without the new USB and SATA. The Gigabyte boards are split, both have USB 3 and one also has SATA III.

ASUS $120/110 MIR
Gigabyte 790XT-USB3 $125
Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4 $140/125 MIR

If you want 2x16 XFire you'll have to move up to the 790FX boards, all of which overclock very well - but you'll have to add ~$50 to the price tag ... ;)

The 925 is still the K10 Phenom II core and the C3 update is the most recent revision of that core. If you're going to get a 925 then look for P/N HDX925WFK4DGM, that's C3. The C2 revision was the same number with an ending 'I' instead of the 'M' for C3. The retail version, ending in 'BOX', didn't have a number change so I'm not sure how you would tell those apart. The C3's were a significant change for OC'ing. Stock vCore OC's ~100 MHz higher and top-end clocks (excellent air or water) jumped about 200 MHz on average. It's worth checking to make sure you've got a C3 unless you get a good break on pricing ...

Back