• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amazing the difference a little dust can make..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mjolnir

It's summer here in Aus; and it's quite hot.. Fully stressing my 1.25v 4GHZ i7 930 gets me over 80 degrees.. So i decided to throw it back to stock at 2.8ghz with 1.15v. Last NIGHT; I ran IBT to check temps; highest temp was 68/69, lowest 63.

If I had run that during the day I would've expected 72-74 ish degrees as top.

With that being said... I decided to clean my computer (to a degree) of dust.. specifically my heatsink/two fans. I didn't realize the amount of dust I had let build up! Clump after clump.. Ha! Put it all together...

Then ran IBT Very high at 2pm (so decent heat time.. My room has very high ambient temps; almost as hot as outside (27-28 degrees Celsius +). I'm lucky our summer isn't as hot as normal.. Normally my room would be 30+ lol.

Now the temps.. Before a night run of IBT was 63-69... Now I'm running 63 as a MAX on the hottest core; with 59 as the lowest.. So factor in the temp difference (4 odd degrees). A solid 10 degrees Celsius was lost from just a little dusting..

Amazing.. Lol.

Anyone else got any dusty stories? XD

I rescued my Aunt's computer last year. She said it was running very slow.
I got it home and tried to start it up, and it took several minutes to boot!
I opened it up and nearly got ill from what I found in there...it seams her two cats enjoy the heat of the PC. Nothing but fur and dustbunnies inside--hard to even find the motherboard!
It took 2 hours to clean it all out, and it suddenly became amazingly zippy once it could breathe.

I filter my case fans and my external radiator/fans too.

Haha yeah. I've got a demiflex top on my 650D for the top 2 fans in there. Helps a decent amount.. Will help even more when I swap to a H100 intaking from the top.. Changing my case pressure from negative (front intake; top/back exhaust atm) to positive (front intake; top intake; back exhaust).

No joke! In the summer around here (I live in Michigan w/no AC) My machine will BSOD with just a light coating of dust. (Mind you I smoke also)

But right now I have a healthy layer of dust covering everything... LOL

Last edited:
I have an airbed-type A/C compressor on hand for dusting duties. Picked it up at an estate sale for $5 and it's been seriously handy in the past.

Yeah, I always find completely pulling the computer apart a few times a year to clean the thing out works perfectly.

Oh, if anyone takes offense to my new avatar please say and I'll change it back. I think its funny though.

Oh, if anyone takes offense to my new avatar please say and I'll change it back. I think its funny though.

-Off Topic

That yes the Christmas color people might not think is so funny. (I know on my forum I would not allow it)
...But if you can change it to look like this you would be fine, and it would actually be funnier.

funny-Internet-browsers-weapons.jpg

Last edited:
A friend told me a comp in his warehouse had become unstable and asked me to look at it. He brought it over to my house one night (along with a six pack) and I popped open the hood. Solid black inside. And not because it was one of the way cool interior paint jobs. I took it out in the driveway and hit it with 100psi and a cloud of dust exploded from the case. I literally started coughing and had trouble seeing as I was standing close operating the air nozzle and got a lungfull and eyes full of that stuff.

I went inside after cleaning up his comp-u-box and looked in the mirror. I looked like I had been working in a coal mine. But the beer was cold. And the computer is still working fine (this is 7-8 years ago).

My bad, I edited it. I apologize if I sounded rude at all, not my place to really say anything anyway, just a heads up. :)

Lol, nothing to worry about dude. I don't upset easily. On the plus side, I doubt we have any mac users on here

I do tech support and my gosh....windows xp rigs, that alone says "dust me!" when I first started administrating a server at a local real estate company I walked in to get a feel for what I was dealing with...holy crap. that was awful. went outside and used a full can of air on one machine...half hour later...the fan stopped making noise! :D

I couldn't afford to use canned air... I'd go broke as often as I dust my machines out.

120PSI Air Compressor with a water trap... Works wonders! LOL

Just gotta keep the nozzle far enough away not to hurt anything.

Lol, nothing to worry about dude. I don't upset easily. On the plus side, I doubt we have any mac users on here

I don't have OSX, but I've got nothing against it. That's a really **** thing to put as your avatar T.T.

Back