• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 1100T Super Stable OC @4.2Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spliffie

Hi Guys,

Hope every one is good and well.

I just wanted to share that I have had my AMD 1100T OC'ed at an amazingly awesome 4.2Ghz.

This OC has been running stable for at least 6 months now, When running bench marks and Priming i get the following temps,

Prim95 3-6 hour blended tests: 45-50'c

Firstly i'd just like to thank all on Overclockers.com for the help in some of my previous threads, with regards to helping me achieve this awesome OC!

Secondly i have one question,
Q: With my CPU at 4.2Ghz, is it possible (good idea?) to enable Turbo Boost so i could maybe boost a couple of cores to like say 4.5Ghz or above?

Any info is appreciated...
Regards
Spliffie...

AMD 1100T Thuban Specs.

Type >> CPU / Microprocessor
Market segment >> Desktop
Family >> AMD Phenom II X6
Model number >> 1100T
Stepping codes >> ACBBE CB CCBBE CB
Frequency >> 3300 MHz
Turbo frequency >> 3700 MHz (3 cores or less)

Since this question would not be here if Turbo Core was better understood for Thuban processors; a little background of AMD's first try at boosting processor speed based on load and TDP. Note: The newer FX processors have a little more refined Turbo Core Control and works somewhat differently than AMD's initial try at Turbo Core boosting of cpu mhz based on load on cores and power demand and TDP.

As you can see from the cpu specs shown above the base frequency of the 1100T is 3.3Ghz and the Turbo Core can boost that by 400Mhz to 3700Mhz on only 3 cores if the other three cores are n0t loaded and are in actual P state of off or more like sleep.

So for AMD's own Turbo Core control to work on your 1100T, you would have to have a TDP of less than the design of 125w TDP and 3 of the 6 cores would have to be off or downclocked back to 800Mhz. I say downclocked to 800Mhz since AMD Turbo Control cannot turn any cores completely off as Intel Turbo Boost is able to do.

With your processor overclocked to 4.2Ghz the TDP of 125W is likely already close at hand and Turbo Core would not do anything at all. Not even if Turbo Core worked above 3.3Ghz as was the initial design intent.

So AMD Turbo Core control as implemented by AMD for the 1100T Thuban would have no effect at all on a cpu already clocked to 4.2Ghz.

Hi RGone,

Thank you for you reply, the info is appreciated.

So Turbo is pointless at this stage... Hmmm wonder what else i can do to get more from my rig, any suggestions?

Regards,
Spliffie

On 04-15-12, 12:52 AM you posted >> so bumped up the multi to 21.5x = 4.3ghz >> so i then bumped up the vCore to 1.475v >> Prime ran for +/- 18min then my pc turned it self off and the power light on my pc just flashes, unpluged the power and reboted the machine and it booted back up with out any bios errors etc... >> thats where i stoped... i guess i can puch vCore up some more to 1.485v or 1.500v? >> You can try upping the Vcore to complete P95 Blend test without failing as long as you CAREFULLY monitor the temps using HWMonitor from CPUID.com freeware version. Would n0t like to see CPU CORE TEMPS exceed ~55c and the TMPINxxx should not exceed 62c. Whichever of those TMPINxxx is your cpu socket type temp.

Based on you having posted that some 5 months ago and that thread had no post back to you, I answered that thread in the underlined text above. The underlined text above also would apply to your "todays" question about getting anymore. RGone...ster.

Thanks @ Frakk,

I'd like to make a video review on my pc, like bench mark and prime showing temps etc.
id make it a video on my youtube profile, but could i link it in a forum post here on OC'ers?

Regards,
Spliffie

Thanks @ Frakk,

I'd like to make a video review on my pc, like bench mark and prime showing temps etc.
id make it a video on my youtube profile, but could i link it in a forum post here on OC'ers?

Regards,
Spliffie

Yeah you can post it no problem, but don't link it in you're sig as external links in sigs aren't allowed in sigs :thup:

Hi Guys,

So it's me again, Just like to say I have been on 4.2GHZ for about a year now and have had 0 problems.

I have done some upgrades to my rig as follows:

128GB SSD for Windows
Msi 7970 Lightning Boost Edition GPU
1200watt Modular Raidmax Gold Edition PSU
Kingstone Hyper-X Predator 1866Mhz DDR3 Memory (4x4GB = 16GB Memory)

So now I would like to OC this CPU of mine some more, For a start this is how im running curently:

CPU @ 4.2Ghz (Core Clock = 200Mhz) (Core Multi = 21x)
CPU Volts: 1.475v in BIOS (HWmonitor in windows reads = 1.485v+/-)

RAM: Ratio in Bios is 1:4 = 1600Mhz (can only get it higher if I OC CPU Clock)
RAM Volts: 1.65v

HT Link is at: 1.25v and running at 2200Mhz
NB is at: 2800Mhz

What I really want to know is, what readings should I trust - Bios or Windows
Secondly My max temps at the moment when playing games etc are about 40-45'c

If I Prime or Cinabench etc CPU temps are 45-50'c

I really want to get either my ram to 1866Mhz or get my CPU up to the max i can.

Any help would be great.

Regards,
Wesley

Assuming since you don't say or link screen captures, you are running 21x200=4.2Ghz; try raising the FSB/HT Ref Freq to 205 and see if it boots and or is stable. I have not seen a lot of Thubans lately but my memory tells me it had to be a very good processor to run 4.Ghz and that 4.!Ghz was likely a high end average among the 1090T and 1100T Thubans. I expect you to get little more if any but a quick bump to 205 FSB will give you one quick fast clue.
RGone...

Hi RGone,

Yes will link screenies tonight as im currently at work.

As for bumping the FSB i did attempt this last night and was running 205 = 4.305Mhz or so and HT went up as well as NB. also memory went up a bit from 1600Mhz cant recall exact figures but will get them tonyt.

When at 205 x 21 multi = 4.3xxMhz i was able to boot windows play some music and run Cinabench max temp during cinabench 45-48'c (yes i know cinabench is not heavie test)

i then tried to run the new catzilla benchmark which at 4.2GHz stable my CPU scored 216 points for Physics so i wanted to see if at 4.3 is improved a little, the Catzilla bench loaded started to run the first test, but as soon as the second cat comes out the Purple/pink capsule the Bench mark froze and windows gave a "this program stopped responding" but windows was still working and never BSOD.

So im guessing i needed to push up my CPU voltage? but dont want damage anything.

Regards,
Wesley

A couple things that you don't mention or show in pics is the CPU_NB voltage and ram timings. Pushing a dual channel set of ram over 1600 on the 1100t will usually work but 4x4 sticks might be more of a challenge for the CPU's IMC. That's a lot of memory for it to handle at that speed. So you may need to raise the CPU_NB voltag or rerlax timings a bit but we need more info.

Heaven forbid we don't run P95 Blend mode for testing stability. I cannot think of a speed that I run my FX-8350 at which are variable depending on task...I know what voltages to use for each speed since they speeds are P95 Blend tested for a couple of hours.

Were it me now that winders boots, I would bump CPU_NB voltage a notch up. I would add 0.05 to the ram voltage and give a bump up to the CPU Vcore and run P95 Blend and monitor the temps while running P95 Blend if it will pass a couple of hours and temps are not up by much then your new speed might be 4.3Ghz with a little more ooomph coming from bumped up ram speed and HT etc. Howver in general, you will seldom if ever notice a 100Mhz bump up in cpu speed. It may help our minds and add a little to a bench but 100Mhz does little in real everyday use.
RGone...ster.

Hi Guy's,

Ok so I decided to start from scratch, reset bios to defaults etc.

So i started my OC this time by setting my CPU voltage and CPU-NB voltage to the voltages that i had set on my stable 4.2 OC.

Vcore= 1.475v
CPU-NB= 1.25v

I left every thing else standard defaults, turbo boost , cool n quiet, c1e, etc...
ran it for a wile testing the original speed of my pc was cool no issues.

next,

i Proceeded to OC starting with the FSB now instead of the multiplier, also i had to up the CPU Voltage one notch, as i was only able to get to 4.14Ghz or so with my voltage i had for 4.2hgz (1.475v).

so now iv managed to get it to the following and this is what im currently running...

FBS= 230Mhz
Multi= 18.5
vCore= 1.485v
CPU= 4.26Ghz OC

Due to the FSB OC, the HT-Link and the CPU-NB Clocks are as follows:

HT-Link= 2529Mhz
CPU-NB= 2990Mhz

Also memory went up, as i wanted it too :clap:

RAM= 1840Mhz 9.11.9-27 T2

So now i'm worried about the CPU voltage, AMD site says reference voltage for the 1100T is 1.0-1.475v. in my Bios im am now at 1.485v to get 4.26ghz OC.

But Windows programs read 1.528v :eek:

also so far to day due to ambient room temp being 22'c my max temps so far have been 45'c

Yes i know i have not run prime95 but been jamming bf4 on ultra at every oc step as well as running cinnabench , and the new catzilla bench mark.

only had one windows freeze at 1.475v @ 4.26ghz (230x18.5) this is when i upped vcore from 1.475v to 1.485v. and so far so good.

Regards
Spliffie

Attachments

• test (Copy).jpg
    test (Copy).jpg
    603.2 KB · Views: 316
try your ht link down one notch, it has never gotten me anything.
try one notch higher on the cpu/nb voltage.

Hi Guys,

Thanks so far for all the info and help.

I am afraid to say I think I have damaged my board or CPU due to trying to OC further than the stable 4.2Ghz I was on. After trying the OC on the Core clock and changing vcore etc. was fairly stable but not much performance change, so reverted back to a stable OC setting of 4.2Ghz, since the instability's with the OC over 4.2Ghz with the core clock my mother board now randomly freaks out like while in windows or gaming showing "FF" error code on mother board. most of the time now when i shut down the pc the USB peripherals now have constant power flowing through them like Keyboard backlight and mouse lights etc. so power on the board seems to be messed up.

any way enough with the problems, I decided to put a claim through as i know i have insurance on all my components, I will be getting new goodies on monday next week the 16th Dec 2013.

So scrapping my board and cpu for the following,

Mobo: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX
CPU: AMD 8-Core FX8350 BE 4.0Ghz 16MB Cache

once i get this next week, some help on the OC would be awesome :)

Regards,
Wesley

Back