• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 12.7b experience thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EpicMango

So. Anybody decide to jump ship and try out the 12.7 drivers for their GPU's?

I am skeptical, about all AMD drivers at this point and don't want to make the switch yet. I heard that FPS gains and GPU usage have gone down quite a bit with the new drivers, but that OC'ing went down the drain...

I'm on 12.6 and for some reason, I get the best Heaven benchmarks at 1050/1400 speeds. Any higher and the score remains redundant.

I have noticed a couple bugs. There is a known Monitor Wake up bug, where the monitor will not wake up when the computer is active again, and I have just started experiencing this, this morning infact. Second issue is during minimal OC (1050/1400) my screen will randomely turn a light beige and horizontal lines cross through the beige. Its rare, but my last experience was when I opened a picture to view in full screen it did that. Nothing you can do but restart the comp.

Whats the verdict on 12.7 folks?

Don't know yet, currently running 12.3 on a Gigabyte 7870 Windforce 3x and it seems fine, i will be trying 12.6 and then 12.7 on it.

I will let you know when i do :)

I tested 12.7b on a HIS 7950 and all seems well. I did not however leave the card idle long enough to have the monitor shutdown. In our benching suite, I did not have any trouble. That said, I used the WHQL 12.6 drivers for the review.

12.7 official beta is running fine on my HD7970. Just started to play Skyrim / max details ... ~7h+ no issues.
12.7 official beta and 12.6 whql should act about the same except that 12.7 has some updates for latest games.

12.3 to 12.6 my FPS went from avr 62.9 to 72.5 @ stock in AVP just with the driver change, whats that all about?

12.3 result...
AvP D3D11 Benchmark Report
==========================
* Report Created: 2012-07-17 @ 21:01:17
* Executable Build: V1.03, Apr 19 2010
*DX11 Hardware Detected*
Using Default Video Settings:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Texture Quality: 2
Shadow Quality: 3
Anisotropic Filtering: 16
SSAO: ON
Vertical Sync: OFF
DX11 Tessellation: ON
DX11 Advanced Shadows: ON
DX11 MSAA Samples: 1

Benchmark Summary:
Number of frames: 6594
Average Frame Time: 15.9ms
Average FPS: 62.9

12.6 result....

AvP D3D11 Benchmark Report
==========================
* Report Created: 2012-07-17 @ 21:10:41
* Executable Build: V1.03, Apr 19 2010
*DX11 Hardware Detected*
Using Default Video Settings:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Texture Quality: 2
Shadow Quality: 3
Anisotropic Filtering: 16
SSAO: ON
Vertical Sync: OFF
DX11 Tessellation: ON
DX11 Advanced Shadows: ON
DX11 MSAA Samples: 1

Benchmark Summary:
Number of frames: 7608
Average Frame Time: 13.8ms
Average FPS: 72.5

I might try 12.7b but I'm having problems with 12.6 and thinking about switching back to 12.3/.12.4. I have had problems with the monitor going to sleep since way earlier driver versions and now since 12.6 I have had issues while using firefox where I get horizontal lines across the screen and everything goes like a light brown color.

The horizontal tan lines that seem to hardlock the computer, as far as I can tell is an incompatability between the newest version of flash and newer amd drivers. It happens on my computer with or without the video card overclocked if I have hadware acceleration on for flash. Same for my parents completely stock computer, I just rolled them back to flash 10 and turned off hardware acceleration for myself. Problem hasnt happened yet since the weekend fix, before I turned off hardware acceleration I could go mabye 2 to 3 minutes before my computer hardlocked watching flash video.

Since 12.2 or .3 (i think it was) AMD have incorporated a flash player accelerator, much like the one on the newer APU's. (SteadyVideoBHO) plug-in

Its supposed to reduce camera shaking and smooth buffering on dodgy connections, the anti buffering actually works, at least for me when on the mobile BB connection.

However, could that be a culprate for some of the problems?

All I know for sure is that I can run heaven or play games for hours and hours, but minutes of hardware accelerated flash would lock my computer. My parents comp has an old like 4650 or something, and while their computer didnt lock, the flash player crashed any time they tried to do anything that used flash. When I get home from work I can try rolling my flash back to 10 like I did theirs, and see if i can have hadware acceleration back on.

Oh and I have started to get the old driver has crashed but recovered message now too mostly while surfing the web. Have not had a game crash yet...

The only time ive gotten driver crashes that didnt involve an unstable overclock were from msi afterburner on my 6950s. That program hated my computer like no other.

My card is OCed a very small amount (925/1350 from 880/1250) and at stock voltage and wasn't doing this until 12.6.

Well. Here's my latest blah screen. Happened when I was starting NFS The Run, I don't know if I was overclocked at the point, I think I was @ 1050/1500

e8oodd.jpg

1500Mhz on the memory is definitely pushing the boundaries, i would clock that back :)

12.7 boosted my FPS by quite a bit. It was a noticeable difference in some of my more intense games. However, after a few weeks I did notice it start to crash to gray vertical lines every once in a while, and eventually it happened every day. So then I rolled back to 12.6 and it's all better now :D

Well. Here's my latest blah screen. Happened when I was starting NFS The Run, I don't know if I was overclocked at the point, I think I was @ 1050/1500

These stripes are mainly when you overclock too high or when driver has some issues while switching from 2D to 3D mode and back.
In the second case some drivers are not setting back low clock for 2D and you see freeze or these stripes.
Simple fix is to force constant voltage with overclocking software but then your card will heat up more and waste power.
12.6 whql and 12.7 official beta should have this issue fixed.
If you won't have it without overclocking then all is fine and just try a bit lower clocks ( I'm not even sure why you need overclocking on HD7870 ;) )

I got 12.7
My 7850 runs higher then pretty much All Benchmarks. (No OC)
Out of the 9 days i've had it.
I had one driver crash that stopped my Sony Vegas 11 render.
Also, as i shutdown, everything freezes sometimes.
But i have only noticed that once.

The vertical lines crash is a common issue, happened for me since 12.6 and up. 12.4 had some sort of issues aswell but not a crash.

Currently i dont see those drivers able to work on my machine, never had Radeon driver as messy as this. Guess told already, currently 12.3 works best for me, fully stable and no issue at all.

Sad because those new drivers are able to boost the 7000 series performance a good amount. However, for users of 6000 series or lower it doesnt matter, they could use as good as any driver with few performance difference. AMD is focusing on 7000 series now.

Last edited:
Back