• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 12.7b experience thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sad because those new drivers are able to boost the 7000 series performance a good amount. However, for users of 6000 series or lower it doesnt matter, they could use as good as any driver with few performance difference. AMD is focusing on 7000 series now.

Tell me about it, i went from 12.3 to 12.6 and the performance jump was enormous.

AVP bench went from about 63 FPS to 73 FPS

BF3, went on Op Fire Storm for half an hour and ran a Fraps bench.

Min 40 / Max 101 / Avg 72.991

That's: 1920 x 1080 / All Ultra / AD off / AP High / MB off / AF 16x / HBAO.

7870, Clock 1170 / MEM 1300.

These stripes are mainly when you overclock too high or when driver has some issues while switching from 2D to 3D mode and back.
In the second case some drivers are not setting back low clock for 2D and you see freeze or these stripes.
Simple fix is to force constant voltage with overclocking software but then your card will heat up more and waste power.
12.6 whql and 12.7 official beta should have this issue fixed.
If you won't have it without overclocking then all is fine and just try a bit lower clocks ( I'm not even sure why you need overclocking on HD7870 ;) )

Did this 'Blah' screen to me just now for no reason, was browsing Ebay and bang... Blah screen.

Not a very high overclock and i'm running 12.6 Drivers. First time i have ever seen it

Has anyone tried the 12.7s on a 5750/5770 to see if they get a fps boost too? After the trouble I had getting drivers to stop blue screening when idling on the desktop, I'm hesitant to move off of 12.4 lol

The sripes doesnt appear on 12.3, so it clearly seems to be a driver issue. Apart from that, it told already that there are scaling issues, which is another driver issue which cant be fixed by any circumstances other than a driver fix.

With both the 12.6 and 12.7 betas, I have only ever gotten those stripes with flash content being hardware accelerated with flash 11 on my screen. Personally, id rather have 12.7s gaming performance with flash 10 than 12.3s gaming performance with flash 11. YMMV.

I have just Set MSI Afterburner to force constant voltage and then ran 3DM 11 3 times in a row and Unique heaven 2 times in a row @ 1175 / 1350.

So far so good, i will test that for a couple of days and if all goes well i will try for higher clocks.

I think its the usual switching from 2D to 3D volts even during gaming and benching, i think the Driver is some how getting confused, it has a hiccup or something....

Well here's Blah Screen #2 and this was with a completely liberal 1050/1400 OC...
OC'd and about 4 minutes later this game up
jfj7r6.jpg
-_-
I went from going to 1290/1500 stable to not being able to OC what the 7850 can do MINIMUM..

Yeah well, if its any consolation to you i had that plain grayish / blue blah screen to earlier today after blah screen #1, but before i locked my volts, its actually what prompted me to do it.

Its not your overclock and its not your card, we have what is basically the same Pitcairn card. its the drivers, the drivers on this Pitcairn card, and possibly other 7### series cards.

PS: Nice Keyboard, i have the same one only without the LCD (Logitech G110)

Well here's Blah Screen #2 and this was with a completely liberal 1050/1400 OC...
OC'd and about 4 minutes later this game up
jfj7r6.jpg
-_-
I went from going to 1290/1500 stable to not being able to OC what the 7850 can do MINIMUM..

Yeah well, if its any consolation to you i had that plain grayish / blue blah screen to earlier today after blah screen #1, but before i locked my volts, its actually what prompted me to do it.

Its not your overclock and its not your card, we have what is basically the same Pitcairn card. its the drivers, the drivers on this Pitcairn card, and possibly other 7### series cards.

PS: Nice Keyboard, i have the same one only without the LCD (Logitech G110)

Its kind of pissing me off. I want to sell this card now, but there isn't another card thats going to run as good...I want to OC this card!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its kind of pissing me off. I want to sell this card now, but there isn't another card thats going to run as good...I want to OC this card!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, that's right. Your 7850 overclocked on later drivers runs as fast as a stock GTX 580 for half the money, half the power and half the heat, that's insane!

From my perspective with my Pitcairn the hardware is good. Awesome even, i love this card... it's monstering everything i throw at it and i have not even warmed up the clocks yet, or the card.

I'm not going to let its fickle Drivers undermine what i have here, Software can be fixed, Hardware can't.

[Edit] i have just had a chat with the guys on the AMD forum, they say if the overclock is unstable you will get artifacting, a Driver crash with a Driver recovery message or loss of input hardware.

Also overclocking the memory very high is for benching points only, anything over 1300 / 1350 has no effect on your game FPS, and as a side note,- never ever ever use Furmark for any reason.

They say anyone having problems other than that should send bug reports to AMD. (I'm going to do that now)

Last edited:
I'll be doing a 1050/1350 OC today when I get home and see if I get the blah screen or not.

But it still doesn't describe how I was able to do a stable 1290/1500 OC and now I can't even do either variable..

I'll be doing a 1050/1350 OC today when I get home and see if I get the blah screen or not.

But it still doesn't describe how I was able to do a stable 1290/1500 OC and now I can't even do either variable..

Did you update your Drivers, or have they automatically updated?

Perhaps uninstall the drivers, then run Driver Cleaner and reinstall the driver that gave you those clocks.

I would still uninstall ecte and reinstall, something may have happened to those drivers.

Okay. I've never really, uninstalled drivers or "cleaned" them off my system. Do I just uninstall them through Device Manager? Help me here!

Okay. I've never really, uninstalled drivers or "cleaned" them off my system. Do I just uninstall them through Device Manager? Help me here!

When installing GPU drivers the normal way some bits of the Drivers may still be there and could interfere with the new drivers. so its best to make sure they are gone completely.

Here is how http://www.drivercleaner.net/howto.php

Edit- actualy this one is better http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Use the official uninstaller(s) of the driver(s) you want to uninstall.
Reboot your PC in Safe Mode.
Run Driver Sweeper and select what to clean.
Analyse lists all the entries possible to remove, cleaning removes the entries selected.
More drivers can be selected for the same cleaning process.

I am only having a screen flicker when the overclock settings are applied and occasionally when a window is minimising/maximising. CCC still reports it as being 12.1 drivers, even though I used driver sweeper to completely remove 12.1 before installing 12.7b.

Other than that, all my games work fine and no crashes.

Back