• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 8120 FX On A 970A-G46 *MSI Mobo*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Natioz89

Hello OC'ers
Just asking a few questions as i am interested in OC my cpu from the stock 3.1ghz to 3.80ghz

My Specs Are
MSI 970A-G46 Motherboard
CPU-AMD 8120 FX 3.1Ghz Turbo Tech to 4.0ghz
Cool master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Air Cooler
650 W Power supply
x2 120MM Fans
Decent Airflow out of 7 out of 10

Will i be safe to OC to 3.80Ghz with a Air CPU cooler and a 650Pwr Supply?
With this Motherboard.

Any and all help is much appreciated.

that board only has a 4+1 vrm and therefore probably wont be able to handle the power needed to OC much, you also don't list which GPU you have so it makes it tough to know for sure whether or not the PSU can handle it. Also what brand and model of PSU do you have? How about you list all of the system specs for a more detailed answer.

For any of you thinking about using or even recommending the MSI 970A-G46 motherboard for use with the AMD FX 8350, be careful. I just recently emailed MSI, and they sent me a very intriguing response. Here's screenshots of the email: Clink on the "See Full Content" to read MSI's email.

EDIT:
In logical order the Vishera FX-83xx, 63xx and 43xx are "supposed" to draw less current than the Bulldozer FX cpus. So if an FX-8350 is going to throttle by design, so to will the older Bulldozer cpus since they are supposed to be even more power hungry.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
That email from MSI is very revealing, isn't it? Makes one wonder whose telling the truth about the 8350 TDP and if this tendency to exceed rated TDP applies to other PD eight core CPUs and the BD eights as well.

Last edited:
If you really want to hear, make that read, some real BS...go and g00gle what + is + AMD + TDP. Then go and g00gle what + is + AMD + ACP + power + measurement. Then get really ready and go and g00gle Intel + AMD + TDP + ACP. Then settle in for one heck of a load of it.

Two things to know is that both Intel and AMD are only really interested in talking about their server processors. Secondly, both Intel and AMD make this statement about their power consumption as relates to TDP = TDP is not the maximum power of the processor.

Wowee and hallelujia. Ain't it all just grand. Don't stop to even consider that you cannot get any real numbers for the FX processors. All that g00gling above will only get you info about K-10 and Barcelona type processors and then the real info is for server processors in general which is where AMD and Intel actually square off to wrestle. Whoopee.
RGone...

Wowee and hallelujia. Ain't it all just grand. Don't stop to even consider that you cannot get any real numbers for the FX processors.
RGone...

Ahh that's an "Ancient Chinese secret" :rofl:

Hola yo tengo un fx8120 una placa
msi 970 gaming con un watercooling
Seidon 120v y el overclock lo tengo estable a 4.0ghz con turbo Core desactivado bueno en general tengo todo desactivado menos el voltaje q lo tengo automático y mis temperaturas no pasa los 45 grados jugando a battlefield arline el ultra
Tengo
Fx8120
Placa msi 970 gamin
Fuente de poder sentei de 600wtts
Kingston hiperX 120 gb SSD os
hdd 500gb 7200 rpm para instalar
Ram 12 gb a 1600mhz
Targeta gráfica msi r9 270 gaming
Gabinete sentei arvina gs 6400
Cooler master seidon 120v

I ran a FX-6300 with this Motherboard for about two years and have had a FX-8350 in it for the last six month. Have not seen any issues so far.
pvee

Back