• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 8320E worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WoWplayer

Hello! I am about to upgrade to this CPU since I am on a budget and it seems to be the best my Z1-7641 motherboard can handle. Currently I have a pretty terrible FX-4600 and am in desperate need to upgrade. WoW loading times are about 5 minutes long and its just unacceptable. Is this worth the upgrade or will the difference be minimal. Thanks!

Hello! I am about to upgrade to this CPU since I am on a budget and it seems to be the best my Z1-7641 motherboard can handle. Currently I have a pretty terrible FX-4600 and am in desperate need to upgrade. WoW loading times are about 5 minutes long and its just unacceptable. Is this worth the upgrade or will the difference be minimal. Thanks!

FX-4600 is not a CPU, it is a GPU (video card), did you mean FX-4100?

If load times are 5 minutes, it isn't the CPU. Try a clean install of your OS on a budget SSD. You'll be amazed at the difference. The FX 4xxx series chips aren't bad chips, and they OC decently without the heat and current draw problems of the bigger FX chips. If you're on a budget look at something like this
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...84&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36 with a fresh install of your OS. OS and basic programs on a 120 GB SSD will make your system feel snappier than a chip upgrade, for less money. Even if you're a gamer, the only reason to have games on the SSD is load times and bragging rights.

I have to agree with Alaric. The only thing an 8320E will give you is more cores which have nothing to do with load times.

I would further recommend against upgrading at all on that motherboard. It has a 3+1 power section without heatsinks. I would start saving up for the eventual upgrade and build to the new generation CPU's. They are far superior to the now aged FX chips.

There are several things you can do to improve WoW performance such as lower view distance and shadows in particular, don't run anything tasking in the background, change from a 4 core to a 6-8 core (from personal experience a FX-8350 4.5ghz has smoother gameplay then a FX-4300 5ghz because WoW uses up to 8 cores). There were also several edits in the World of Warcraft\WTF\Config.wtf that i think that the new Warlords/Legion engine already does by itself now.

SET ProcessAffinityMask "255" - 4 core is "15" - http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/CVar_processAffinityMask
SET GxTextureCacheSize "11264" - graphics card memory size (adjust for what you have, 1gb = 1024)
SET M2Faster "3" - improves performance in high population servers
SET TimingMethod "2" - starts WoW with a higher priority

Specifically to loading times the biggest impact you will see is change from HDD to SSD like Alaric said, but getting more memory also helps, 16gb should be optimal. One particular tweak i only started using this expansion is to disable "browser hardware acceleration" on the battle.net app, which for some reason helps shaving 5s-20s depending on your system (only seems to work with weak graphics cards, anything less then a 1060 for example).

EDIT: also check if all your addons are up to date and if you have too many they might conflict with one another.

Last edited:
Back