• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 965 Black Edition With M4A89TD Pro Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I hear ya. Sorry guys I have no patience and get VERY frustrated VERY quick. I guess I just don't like things I don't understand, probably like anyone, and it sucks seeing BSOD after BSOD.

Explain how 2X4 gigs of ram is better than 1x8 gigs please?
Bill it's a process if you want to learn how to do it. Plug and play settings need not apply. Have some patience and yes it can be a bit frustrating but we will help you if you're willing. I was in your shoes about 3 years ago and have a whole lot more knowledge now due to some of the guys on here.
running 2x4g sticks will allow you to run the memory in Dual channel mode as opposed to 1x8 which you see in your memory screen shot in post #5 is in single channel mode. It's not that big of a deal, running in Dual channel will give you around a 5% performance boost memory wise, if I recall correctly.

Basic Single vs Dual Channel ram operation...

...Simplest description.
A single stick of ram in Single Channel mode has a single 64bit path of communication with CPU.

2 sticks of ram in dual channel mode, effectively, can have a 128bit path of communication with CPU.

Maxxmem in Copy, Read, Write and in Bandwidth Benching will give about a 15% edge to dual channel setup ram.

Maxxmem should show less latency in dual channel mode.

WinRAR compresses a little faster with ram in dual channel mode.

Some video transcoding like with handbrake gives a 4 to 5% performance edge to dual channel mode ram.

So the average user may not see much in the way of extra performance with dual channel ram but for serious video encoding and other uses where using a lot of ram is a benefit...then dual or some form of multi-channel will bring a performance boost to the party.

RGone...

I hear ya. Sorry guys I have no patience and get VERY frustrated VERY quick. I guess I just don't like things I don't understand, probably like anyone, and it sucks seeing BSOD after BSOD.

If you have no patience overclocking isn't for you. Like someone else suggested just buy a faster rig. If you want a good overclock it takes lots of work. I have that same board and got my C3 Stepping 965BE to 4.2 GHz stable. But it took time. Lots of reboots and failed overclocks. But I got it to where I could run Prime95 for as long as I cared to.

If you have no patience overclocking isn't for you. Like someone else suggested just buy a faster rig. If you want a good overclock it takes lots of work. I have that same board and got my C3 Stepping 965BE to 4.2 GHz stable. But it took time. Lots of reboots and failed overclocks. But I got it to where I could run Prime95 for as long as I cared to.

Yes but C_J61, i went and got him some plug-in numbers, so he could just plug them in and go.
Post #15.
And those numbers came from a M4A89TD-Pro-Motherboard. He is going to have to get off the Vcore pot and get some...Vcore.

RGone...

Yes but C_J61, i went and got him some plug-in numbers, so he could just plug them in and go.
Post #15.
And those numbers came from a M4A89TD-Pro-Motherboard. He is going to have to get off the Vcore pot and get some...Vcore.

RGone...

Yes much thanks. I shall play with that tomorrow morning. Hopefully that'll get me started. That is really what I needed just my screenshot with new numbers.

Post #15.

RGone...

That will give him a good starting point. I was just kind of commenting on the need for patience. And it being worth it in the end when you get good results and gain some knowledge to boot.

Back