• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD and Intel (Both disappointing?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is good to know, that desktop pc's are immune from memory errors.

I suppose you also think disks never corrupt data.

When I was using my intel pr-440fx (dual pentium pro), I would log a memory error about once a year. That was with 320mb of ram. Modern systems can easily have 100 times as much memory.

Assuming the error rate is independent of technology, that would mean an error about every 3 days.

Of course not there always will be errors. Nothing is perfect. ECC is just to reduce the amount of errors. it a extra mechanism that checks the data so you have less memory corruptions/errors or whatever.

But i have to tell ya it is compete useless to a desktop home user. Unless you have a home server that needs to be up 24/7 with as little as possible corruptions/errors

On my dual xeon cad/cam Workstation, the only reason I installed ECC ram, is that the motherboard doesn't accept non ECC ram.

I also develop programs for a living, and I do it on a regular Ivybridge processor without relying on ECC ram. In the past 35 years, I never seen a program bug caused by my use of non ECC ram.

Yes because it is server hardware and because good premium servers often 90% of the time have ECC. Why? Because in a server you always try to reduce the error rates, etc. A server has to be up 24/7 265 days a year. They want to have as little errors corruptions and reboots as possible. That's the reason why. I think ECC would of course work and if you compare it to non-ECC in a regular server that runs the same amount of time that it surely would do better in error rate etc. But this is so small and i talk about a computer(server) that runs A ENTIRE YEAR 24 hours a day.

462 was socket A.
That's right!

Socket 754 was AMD as well. Socket 771 was Intel servers, I think.
Yup, sorry my fault haha.

Last edited:
Just a note, this guy PM'd me for some reason to tell me he is 'unsubscribing to this thread' so he will not be returning to this thread.

Just a note, this guy PM'd me for some reason to tell me he is 'unsubscribing to this thread' so he will not be returning to this thread.

Sorry but this makes me laugh :)rofl:). I mean i also made stupid discussions with my lame opinions and feedback on overclockers and you guys made me use my brains and do research and in this way i learned more than just talking random trash like this guy was doing and the truth about related stuff. It's not just ow well i read this info about ECC(as example) on a blog and what that guy is telling us is truth. No it could be his opinion or his way of seeing things It doesn't have to be true..

tl;dr
It is about learning not who's right and who's wrong.. Learn from each other, search things up ask thing if you're not quite sure etc.
Eventrough IT changes nearly everyday (bit exaggerated..)

Last edited:
I was not looking in having a lecture on what was the use of ECC ram, I know what it is. I just said that if I had the choice, I would have saved the money and paid half the price for non ECC ram.

Last edited:
Back