• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd and sli

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

monstergamin

Registered
I posted earlier about chipsets and finding out that amd will not host sli im almost back to square 1

I wanted to go to phenon2 x6 1055 , and just replace my mobo,cpu,and ram
having to purchase 2 radeon cards I might as well bite bullet and go with a I7 1366. I have 2 XFX 8800gt alphadogs /w zalman that have been great ans have alot of life left as far as newegg is concerned my option is ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard any other thoughts or options?

I heave heard good things about that board. I believe my sister's boyfriend has that boards younger brother that supports DDR2 and Am2+ instead of Am3. He likes it alot.

Edit: You could also wait until their is an AMd chipset board that has the Lucid Hydra chip in it. IIRC, the Crosshair IV Extreme is supposed to have it.

Linky.

be prepared for a MASSIVE Vdroop though... I had that board for a while until mine died...then i sent it back and got a refund. Then i got a crosshair IV and love it.

The truth is that i bit the bullet and got a crosshair IV because there are not really any "great" motherboards for AMD+Nvidia Solutions. I have had an Asus m4n98TD EVO, XFX 750a SLI, and an m4n82 Deluxe. My favorite was the M4N82 because it was an amazing overclocker, but was only DDR2.

I've been trying to work out the AMD+Nvidia problem for a while, but there just isn't a solution. Ultra high end boards just are not in existance for that type of setup anymore. I would suggest you pick sides, if you want Nvidia graphics, go with and intel processor, or if you want an AMD processor, go with a crossfireX board.

There is no winning the amd+nvidia issue. As you can tell I am frustrated, but I have a 5970 and a GTX295 now, so i am not complaining.

Personally the 8800GT's probably are not worth a whole lot anymore... I though I saw an alpha dog go for about $60-$70 about a month ago in the classifieds. So $150 of graphics...

just my .02

Back