• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD apparently sticking with AM3+ for Steamroller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
We don't even have a PileDriver forsale yet. Just pre-release stuff. No telling what AMD will do before we get 'steamroller'. It is nice to have the rumor that AM3+ is it for 'steamroller', but I will worry about that in a year most likely when the 'steamroller' actually gets close.

I can agree with that. Im anxious for some PD benches and reviews and have seen some speculation that amd was considering fm2 after PD was released. Just wanted to share :D

Honestly at BD launch AMD were saying new socket time for PD even. I highly doubt that they will ride this platform past PD. IMO the PD releasing on AM3+ is an effort by AMD to win back any supporters they lost over the "Faildozer" response to the current gen FX. I highly doubt that steamroller will ever touch the AM3+ platform unless its a chopped down backwards compatible design just to keep the AM3+ peoples happy, even at that I think its unlikely.

Note. I dont believe that BD architecture is a failure, in fact Im glad to see that they finally changed things up a bit, unfortunately they had to take a minor backstep in IPC to get it out the door. PD "should" fix that though.

Ok so logical question here. Is there a reason to move from AM3+ at the moment? Is there reason to believe that Piledriver will be IO bound with this socket and bus? Granted we will be seeing a 10 core CPU in PD, more cores means more bandwidth but most of the added connections are internal to the CPU and given the IMC, where would new bottlenecks form?

Back