• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd cpu upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This depends... what do you use your PC for? 1080p gaming? A new cpu will help some..absolutely. 2560x1440 not as much and 4k little.

If you don't game, the 5000 series, your only worthwhile upgrade, has mkre cores and threads and is a lot faster than the 2000 series.

What motherboard do you have? Be sure it works with 5000 series chips and have the bios updated before you drop a new cpu in.

I'd pick something like 5800X or 5900X.

Upgrade if you feel that something runs slowly and you play at 1080p/1440p. Don't upgrade (yet) if you can wait, and all is still fine as this year will be released next-gen AMD socket (sometime in Q3 I think). 3D cache version of Ryzen 5000 should be released in about 2-3 months so this will be one more option, but probably not cheap.

Reading the BIOS release notes, I noticed one of the latest releases will enable TPM and make your system eligible to update to Windows 11 by default. You might want to keep an eye out for that if you haven't, & don't currently want, to run Windows 11. You could wake up one morning and find it did an automatic upgrade overnight. If you're already on Win11, there's nothing to worry about. Looking at CPU support, just update to the latest BIOS & you can have your pick of the new series CPUs.

I wonder if the new chips Ryzen 5 5600 (not the x version) will have some improvements over the x one, as they are 2 years apart on release date. On amd site they are about the same but the x version with slightly higher clocks.

currently running ryzen 2600x with the amd 5700xt, is it worth upgrading my cpu and which cpu
For gaming @ 1080p and 1440p you'll get a nice increase with Zen3 CPUs due to the higher IPC. The new 5700X might be good choice since you'll also upgrade the core/thread count to 8/16. In a lot of games you'll see a 10% or so increase, and the higher IPC and core count will help with all other apps. The 5700X will be $300 and will be out in early April. No cooler comes with it though. BIOS 5861 supports all the new AMD CPUs.

Edit: BTW, the TDP is only 65W for the 5700X, less than your 95W 2600X, so cooling isn't a big issue.

Last edited:
Back