• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Crashes NVidia's party......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nvidia made the first gpu because nvidia coined the term gpu. Its about as relevant as saying ati made the first Radeon video card.

Actually you are incorrect Nvidia made the first GPU because it did all the graphics processing that is why they called it a GPU.

Before the CPU did most of the graphics processing with the help of a accelerator card.

The World's First GPU

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce256.html

August 31, 1999 marked the introduction of the graphics processing unit (GPU) for the PC industry—the NVIDIA GeForce 256. The technical definition of a GPU is "a single-chip processor with integrated transform, lighting, triangle setup/clipping, and rendering engines that is capable of processing a minimum of 10 million polygons per second." - See more at: http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce256.html#sthash.IhrU5XwX.dpuf

The GPU represents a significant breakthrough in realism. It literally transforms the way you interact with your PC. It accomplishes this by completely offloading all graphics acceleration from the CPU. - See more at: http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce256.html#sthash.UcJJZXT0.dpuf

Stay fanboyish, culbrelai, XD

Internet fanboys man, seriously...

Just buy what you like and what works for you. No need to rub it in other peoples faces, because quite frankly no one else cares about your devotion to a brand but yourself.

And to go back to the topic at hand, that is pretty ballsy of AMD to do what they did. Not that I condone that, of course. :)

Last edited:
I understand that. They added on board texture and lighting (they weren't the first to do that by the way, just the first to have a commercially successful product doing it) and called it a gpu. Ati tried to do the same thing later with the vpu, but it never caught on. The fact is, you needed a cpu to play games before it was called a gpu, and you needed a cpu to play games after it was called a gpu. If they changed the name every time they added features to our graphics cards the term gpu would have died more than a decade ago.

Whenever a hardware manufacturer spent money to fly us in, pay for our hotel, and feed us, we always had enough respect to cold shoulder any and all of that company's competitors during the trip.

I understand that. They added on board texture and lighting (they weren't the first to do that by the way, just the first to have a commercially successful product doing it) and called it a gpu. Ati tried to do the same thing later with the vpu, but it never caught on. The fact is, you needed a cpu to play games before it was called a gpu, and you needed a cpu to play games after it was called a gpu. If they changed the name every time they added features to our graphics cards the term gpu would have died more than a decade ago.

It's not about adding instructions like they do to a CPU and GPU, it is called a GPU because they off loaded all the graphics processing to the GPU so all the CPU has to do is give is instructions.

It accomplishes this by completely offloading all graphics acceleration from the CPU. - See more at: http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce256.html#sthash.UcJJZXT0.dpuf

The GPU in 1999 did (transformation, lighting, setup, and rendering). A GPU offloads all 3D calculations from the CPU. That is why they called it a Graphic processing unit.

Nvidia did not coin the phrase GPU it was what the new chip did, it was not a graphics accelerator chip anymore.

Last edited:
That's how I looked at it Wingman99. Thanks for clearing it all up.

Isn't it a little strange that AMD is using an Intel CPU on their demo machine?

Didnt even notice, but yes.

Apart from that, very interesting move by AMD.

As for anyone saying, its wrong AMD to do this, let me say, this happens on a daily basis. The industry i work in, we get trolls looking for info on our products, as well we ourselves use fair game resources to gain information on our competitors machines, and more important, pricing.

Its part of the game, and AMD took a chance to get journalists to see their products, without having to pay for them to make the trip. Win win situation.

Its part of the game, and AMD took a chance to get journalists to see their products, without having to pay for them to make the trip. Win win situation.

I don't approve fanboy remarks. :p

I think it would be the journalists' fault if they didn't ignore AMD, since NVIDIA is paying for everything. If they did, this practice will stop.

Otherwise no company will host the media anymore, because every time they do, they know they will be paying for both themselves and their competitors that want to pull an AMD.

I think it would be the journalists' fault if they didn't ignore AMD, since NVIDIA is paying for everything. If they did, this practice will stop.

Otherwise no company will host the media anymore, because every time they do, they know they will be paying for both themselves and their competitors that want to pull an AMD.

Exactly. That's why I didn't like what AMD did. It ruins the whole thing.

Dam crooked Chinese! That's how they run business in their streets. Money laundering, bribery or dead in a ditch. Don't want that here! :mad:

Eh? How did the Chinese get involved?

AMD is a pretty much pure American company. ATI was Canadian, and most Canadians are nice people.

Wow this whole time I thought they were Chinese. LOL Sorry I take my comments back than. haha

In that case they should do a better job in the customer service department and I should do better in my research. lmao

What customer service issues has AMD specifically had? Their products release with better performance at a better price point?

I think they have better price points but performance goes to the opponents. Intel/Nvidia usually outperform them by a lot or little at times. Not going to get into the whole thing.

Also, I've heard so many nightmares on RMAs. They like sending you back the bad product and blame you for it.

I think they have better price points but performance goes to the opponents. Intel/Nvidia usually outperform them by a lot or little at times. Not going to get into the whole thing.

Also, I've heard so many nightmares on RMAs. They like sending you back the bad product and blame you for it.

Them chineese were vey nice to me and my RMA. one week and i got a brand new card.
Btw the founders of ATI are Lee Ka Lau, Francis Lau, Benny Lau, and Kwok Yuen Ho.

How many people RMA directly to AMD and not a board partner? That's like saying nVidia is amazing because evga has the step up program.

Back