• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-4100 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kippoink

I need help, I'm new about overclocking.

Can someone guide me what are the steps to make AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz to 4.0GHz w/ the stock AMD cooler.

My pc specs:
AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz
MSI 880GMS-E41
8gb G.Skill Ripjaw @654MHz
AMD Radeon HD7770 1gb ddr5
320GB HD

Sorry for bad specs. :-/

Quoting myself in another thread from yesterday.
RGone said:
Johan45 is exactly right when he says do not expect much of an overclock of an FX cpu from that motherboard. It is a MicroATX mobo with weak 4 +1 VRM circuit. The MicroATX is short on real estate to help absorb the heat from the HOT FX processors.
RGone...
That way I do not have to retype the same thing all over again.

There it is a full on guide to overclocking AMD FX processors. Just cross reference any menu names in the bios to the names MSI uses and you got it. Job done.

Bulldozer OC Guide!
Everything you need to overclock bulldozer properly.

So it can't OC @4GHz? :(

Johan45 is exactly right when he says do not expect much of an overclock of an FX cpu from that motherboard.

What does "do not expect much" mean? Not much. Not much is not none. Just not much. And the link in the post was how to get whatever you could get.
RGone...

Johan45 is exactly right when he says do not expect much of an overclock of an FX cpu from that motherboard.

What does "do not expect much" mean? Not much. Not much is not none. Just not much. And the link in the post was how to get whatever you could get.
RGone...

Yeah, i do not expect much overclock w/ this board. I just want to know If I can overclock it to 4GHz with the stock AMD CPU Cooler. :-/

44184746.jpg

Is this correct overclocking? I'm confused. :-/

I'm currently running a game there.

It looks like CPUz says the cpu speed is 4.0Ghz. Must be overclocked. Now if it will pass at least 2 hours running prime 95 blend mode with no errors or workers shutting off or other oddity and Socket temps do not exceed roughly 70c and the CPU core temps do not exceed roughly 60c you should be golden.
RGone...

It looks like CPUz says the cpu speed is 4.0Ghz. Must be overclocked. Now if it will pass at least 2 hours running prime 95 blend mode with no errors or workers shutting off or other oddity and Socket temps do not exceed roughly 70c and the CPU core temps do not exceed roughly 60c you should be golden.
RGone...

Wtf, i was shocked at the prime95 and looking at the speccy. my cpu core gets 200 degress OMG! I just returned the stock core of my proccy :(

Have you noticed a throttling issue with that board? The speed will drop to 3.3GHz randomly because of APM. The 8xx chipsets don't support turning off APM in the BIOS so you'll need AmdMsrTweaker to stop the throttling. If you're having the issue and can't find a working download for AmdMsrTweaker PM me and I can help out.

I want to address something before we start in with the overclocking. You have your ram running in single channel mode - is that because you have 1x8gb? If you are running a 2x4gb kit, you should first figure out which dimms to put your ram in for dual channel mode. You are missing out on a lot of free bandwidth there.

Edit: According to priform speccy, whatever that is. Check the memory tab in cpu-z just to confirm.
Edit 2: Also, use hwmonitor for monitoring cpu temps.

I want to address something before we start in with the overclocking. You have your ram running in single channel mode - is that because you have 1x8gb? If you are running a 2x4gb kit, you should first figure out which dimms to put your ram in for dual channel mode. You are missing out on a lot of free bandwidth there.

Edit: According to priform speccy, whatever that is. Check the memory tab in cpu-z just to confirm.
Edit 2: Also, use hwmonitor for monitoring cpu temps.

yea, 1x8 Gskill ripjaw.

65441334.jpg

Last edited:
Back