• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-4100 overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Infinite66

Hello everyone. I am a new user so please tell me if I am breaking any rules. I recently finished my budget build computer and saw that the FX 4100 can handle a decent overclock. My computer specs are as follows.

ASRock 970 Extreme 3 mobo
AMD FX 4100
EVGA nvidia 550 ti
8gb of ddr3. (corsair and ballistix)
Modular 650watt power supply
HAF 912 case from Cooler master

I overclocked the cpu from the stock 3.6 to roughly 4.4. Using HWmonitor and core temp, my core temps hover around 12 degrees celcius. When I used Prime95 to stress test, the comp freezes completely (no mouse or keyboard) about 10 minutes in. The temp leading up to the freeze are in normal range. (34-44C)due to the Cooler Master 212+ heatsink I got. Nothing has been touched other than the mhz. Why would this happen? At stock cpu speed, I can stress test for hours with no problem.:confused: Does this freezing mean I need more voltage? Could the two different brands of RAM effect anything? (they're the same speed)

On mine I had to bump the voltage up a notch to stop the freezing.
Just keep an eye on your temps.

Yeah, you probably just need more CPU core voltage. Add .025 volts and then check core temps again. You want to keep core temps between 55-60c. If you want it go faster you have to give it more gas.

Oddity

Well as you guys said, the voltage was the problem. Yet I cannot see why. The mobo I have has a built in OC tweaker, and when I bump up the mhz speed, the mobo automatically pushes the voltage as well. What it suggested for 4.4 was 1.334 volts. Isn't this lowballing it a bit? I mean to make sure it wasn't the other components that were messed up, I oc'ed to 3.7 today and ran stress test with no problems. But at 3.7, the voltage was at 1.3 flat.

Oh, no! Please don't use the OC Tweaker! That will not give you both a high and a stable overclock. Those things never manipulate the complete range of settings that need to be employed to get a good overclock. If you want us to help you around here you will need to commit to using manual overclock settings only.

Last edited:
Oh, no! Please don't use the OC Tweaker! That will not give you both a high and a stable overclock. Those things never manipulate the range of settings that need to be employed to get a good overclock. If you want us to help you around here you will need to commit to using manual overclock settings only.

How would I go about booting into the BIOS menu? What is the default F button? For instance, for me to boot into the configuration menu on startup, I have to press f11. I really don't get a chance to read the options as the boot up is quick. And what is wrong with the tweaker? I'm not challenging your opinion, just curious.

To get into bios try F2 or the Delete key. Different bioses employ different conventions for that but those are the most common.

I already told you why the tweaker is not a good way to go for overclocking. Go back and read it again. I've highlighted it for you.

Please put your system info in a "Sig" so that it travels with every post you make. That way as the thread gets long those helping you have ready reference to info about your system and don't have go hunting. To create a Sig, click on Quick Links at the top of the page and then click on Edit Signature. If you want a pattern as to what kind of info we're looking for you can refer to my Sig.

To get into bios try F2 or the Delete key. Different bioses employ different conventions for that but those are the most common.

I already told you why the tweaker is not a good way to go for overclocking. Go back and read it again. I've highlighted it for you.

Please put your system info in a "Sig" so that it travels with every post you make. That way as the thread gets long those helping you have ready reference to info about your system and don't have go hunting. To create a Sig, click on Quick Links at the top of the page and then click on Edit Signature. If you want a pattern as to what kind of info we're looking for you can refer to my Sig.

I did as you asked. Is the sig something I can see with every post? Or only other readers?

(solved) nevermind, I had to post for it to take hold

Press <F2> during POST to get into BIOS setup menu. Need to be pressing 'early' in the boot process or you may not get the chance and be already beyond the place where F2 is recognized.

Did you figure out how to get into bios?

I apologize for my leaving like that. I work far away so I have an hour commute time. I've tried booting into the BIOS using F2, and delete. Both have brought me back to the configuration menu that has the OC tweaker in it. This tweaker allows me to change everything though. Things such as the speed, voltage level, north bridge settings, NB voltage etc. I'm going to do some research to see how to get into my mobo's BIOS

That is the bios these days. Overclock Tweaker is just the new graphical user shell that now stands between the bios and the user. Essentially the same but supposedly more visually appealing and easier to use. The major motherboard manufacturers have all gone to it. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

That is the bios these days. Overclock Tweaker is just the new graphical user shell that now stands between the bios and the user. Essentially the same but supposedly more visually appealing and easier to use. The major motherboard manufacturers have all gone to it. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

No problem. After doing a quick Google search, UEFI seems to be the BIOS I have because alot of companies are now pushing the old BIOS out and bringing in the new UEFI. Thanks for the help though. I hope that I can still receive help from this forum with any questions I have regardless of me not having the "manual" BIOS.

Yeah, you're right. It's called UEFI but Overclock Tweaker is the section in the UEFI that contains the overclocking tools. Initially, I was afraid you were talking about using the automatic overclocking genie typically found in the tweaker section of bioses these days where you select levels of overclock like "high", "medium". "mild" or when they get cute like, "Rocket", "747" and "Piper Cub". That's what we would discourage you from using, genies that do it all for you but really don't do enough.

Yeah, you're right. It's called UEFI but Overclock Tweaker is the section in the UEFI that contains the overclocking tools. Initially, I was afraid you were talking about using the automatic overclocking genie typically found in the tweaker section of bioses these days where you select levels of overclock like "high", "medium". "mild" or when they get cute like, "Rocket", "747" and "Piper Cub". That's what we would discourage you from using, genies that do it all for you but really don't do enough.

Om my God no. Haha. Even I have heard of those monstrosities. Horror stories of motherboards melting and such.

Back