• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-8120 help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kfkracer

hi im new to over clocking i would like to overclock my 8120 to 5.1ghz and if i can i would love to get it to 5.5ghz
i am new to overclocking i had a AMD FX-4100 i tryed to get to 5ghz anf faild so i got the 8120 i also have a set of corsair dominator gts 1866mhz i have seen people use them on this mobo without problems but when i run mine i get random BSODS so im here to ask for help can someone tell me how to overclock my 8120 to 5.1 or 5.5 ghz and maybe hot to run my Dominators without geting BSODS ATM im using the Crosshair V Formula BIOS 1301 and may upgrade to the new 1402 if need be if u need more info i will me more then happy to post just let me know what u need

CPU
AMD FX-8120
corespeed: 3.1 GHz

RAM
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
size: 4 GBytes

Cooling
corsair h100

Power
OCZ ZT series 750w

Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair V Formula

Hard Drive
Ocz Solid 3
count: 1
capacity: 60 GBytes
and a 1tb wd hdd

OS
windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

Case
NZXT Phantom

Graphics
Evga GTX 550 Ti
memory: 2 GBytes

I haven't heard of anyone being able to overclock that CPU to 5.0 on air or normal water cooling. Where did you get the idea that you might be able to get that CPU to that level, much less 5.5 ghz? It'll get way too hot before that point. I think you might do well to lower your goals to like 4.5 ghz.

The link below is from the ROG Gamers and is about the only person I have seen this year thinking to reach 5.0Ghz on Top End air. You can follow his methods with that CHV board and see what 'you' get. They have a forum over there as well and maybe they know something that noone else does about the ROG boards.

CrossHair V Motherboards | Overclocking · 27 Feb, 2012 ·
· written by Dagmar ·
ROG HQ

Crosshair V Formula & AMD FX 8150 CPU Overclocking Guide
Unfortunately 5ghz on air was not possible with a balanced Overclock and suitable temperatures, the temperatures were simply too high. Maybe on a top end Air Cooler 5GHz will be doable. Certainly 5GHz is a proposition with water cooled systems.

Edit: Fixed the link...End Edit.

Last edited:
Wanting 5.5 you must be mad i got the fx-8150 and sitting at 4ghz so very unlikely you will get anywhere near that

Overclock to 5.5 is easy, but i won't be stable. Unless you live in iceland or any other freezing country, lower your expectations. Mine fx-8120 is at 3.5 stable from 3.1 and I can't push it up

As the fellows above say, no way you get a 5GHz stable OC (no BSODs) with air or watercooling.

Mine was doing 4.8GHz max with a custom waterloop (360 rad) for the cpu only.

4.3/4.5GHz seems more realistic with your cooler.

4.6Ghz is the highest 100% stable clock I could run on my 8120 with my custom loop. I did run some benches at 4.8ghz but it was way to hot for regular usage. I hit 5.3 ghz just long enough to get a CPU-Z but it crashed promptly afterwards.

Wanting 5.5 you must be mad i got the fx-8150 and sitting at 4ghz so very unlikely you will get anywhere near that

Why at only 4GHz? That's a very mild overclock even for the 8150. You should be able to run 4.4 without crossing the TCase max temp.

hi im new to over clocking i would like to overclock my 8120 to 5.1ghz and if i can i would love to get it to 5.5ghz
i am new to overclocking i had a AMD FX-4100 i tryed to get to 5ghz anf faild so i got the 8120 i also have a set of corsair dominator gts 1866mhz i have seen people use them on this mobo without problems but when i run mine i get random BSODS so im here to ask for help can someone tell me how to overclock my 8120 to 5.1 or 5.5 ghz and maybe hot to run my Dominators without geting BSODS ATM im using the Crosshair V Formula BIOS 1301 and may upgrade to the new 1402 if need be if u need more info i will me more then happy to post just let me know what u need

CPU
AMD FX-8120
corespeed: 3.1 GHz

RAM
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
size: 4 GBytes

Cooling
corsair h100

Power
OCZ ZT series 750w

Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair V Formula

Hard Drive
Ocz Solid 3
count: 1
capacity: 60 GBytes
and a 1tb wd hdd

OS
windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

Case
NZXT Phantom

Graphics
Evga GTX 550 Ti
memory: 2 GBytes

There's no way You're going to be able to do a stable overclock at 5GHz let alone 5.5GHz with the type of cooling that you have. I pushed my 6100 up to a stable 4.9 and I was seeing CPU Temp (TCase) of 73C full burn and the max TCase for the 6100 is 70C not 61C like the 8150. I don't even try to run that as a "daily use" overclock. You should be able to OC your CPU to 4.5-4.6GHz using the H100 and trust me you'll be happy with the results.

CPU: FX-8120, 3.1GHZ running at 3.6GHZ
MB: Sabertooth 990FX
RAM: Viper Xtreme 2000MHZ 4GB X 4, 9-11-9-27
GPU: GTS 450 SC
Cooling: V6GT
Power: CoolerMaster 550W
HDD: WD 1TB
Case: HAF 932

Stable temps at 3.6GHZ
8120-3.6GHZ.JPG

I don't know how high I can get it to because 3.6 is all I need for now.

Overclock to 5.5 is easy, but it won't be stable. Unless you live in iceland or any other freezing country, lower your expectations. Mine fx-8120 is at 3.5 stable from 3.1 and I can't push it up

i think you can get 5ghz but with a -10c ambient air temp. i got my 8150 to 4.8 with the rig outside and ambient of 2-3C

Most of these CPUs do 4.4-4.6 on air, and 4.6-4.8 on water. That's about it. No 5 GHz. They just run too hot and use too much power, and by the time you're pushing for 4.8 GHz you're usually using 1.5v with load temps near 80c already. To that guy that said 5.5 would be easy, but unstable...not true. Most will only validate CPU-Z to ~5.2-5.4 on normal air/water cooling and pushing volts pretty high, like 1.6v. 5.5 is only really doable if you disable the worst CU or two.

What I find most confusing about the OP's post is how he asks if he can run his Dominators without BSODs, then lists himself having G.Skill based RAM.

Last edited:
Anyone realize that this post was made in June and never responded to by kfkracer? There was also on started by the same person in March and also never responded to.

Back