• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED AMD FX-8120 or 8350?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brigapes

Registered
Hi,
I'm looking to upgrade my A8 5600K CPU for an eight-core FX Vishera CPU. I get FX-8120 for 143€ and FX-8350 for 168 €. And so i was wondering, as they look the same on the paper, except clock rate, which i could OC, which one to buy based on the price? Is 8120 really the same as 8350 except the clock rate? Or does it have an actual more procesing power? Maybe someone with experience could answer?
Thanks!
P.S.: I don't know anything about motherboards, what's the diffrence betwen UD3 and UD5 mobo? Or 990FX and 990FXA mobo? Thanks i really appreciate the help!
-Brigapes :D

No. The 8350 murders the 8120/50. It is a newer generation CPU. Having said that, I think a 4670K on a cheap Z87 board is a better choice. After all, if you get an 8350 you'll need a new motherboard anyways.

If you do go 8350 don't cheap out on the motherboard. At least $140 should be invested. Otherwise it won't run the chip properly. Look for 8 phase power on the board minimum.

The 8350 but as already stated you will need a decent board to go along with either of the chips.

i'd get the FX-8350 and a asus crosshair v formula-z if you have the money. if i had gotten a better chip i could easily hit 5GHz on this board with a h100i

i'd get the FX-8350 and a asus crosshair v formula-z if you have the money. if i had gotten a better chip i could easily hit 5GHz on this board with a h100i

But (I am the devil's advocate), for the price of an 8350 and a CHV you can get a 4670K and a Z87-A and have some money left over. And end up with a better gaming machine. Which is what I assume the OP has in mind, because 99% of forum users list gaming as a primary usage scenario for their PC.

valid point oc noob. i was just assuming he like me loved amd enough to get one anyways or else he would have asked about the 4570k and/or other intel chips

But (I am the devil's advocate), for the price of an 8350 and a CHV you can get a 4670K and a Z87-A and have some money left over. And end up with a better gaming machine. Which is what I assume the OP has in mind, because 99% of forum users list gaming as a primary usage scenario for their PC.

You're using the blanket method here, the 4670k does not beat the 8350 in all ways. Assuming that he is gaming, the 4670k is the better choice. You get into heavy Photoshop/video rendering/CAD and the 8350's extra cores pull ahead of the 4670k.

That said, OP, what are you using this computer for?

You're using the blanket method here, the 4670k does not beat the 8350 in all ways. Assuming that he is gaming, the 4670k is the better choice. You get into heavy Photoshop/video rendering/CAD and the 8350's extra cores pull ahead of the 4670k.

That said, OP, what are you using this computer for?

How am I using the blanket method when I specifically state in my post that if he is gaming, a 4670K is better.

"But (I am the devil's advocate), for the price of an 8350 and a CHV you can get a 4670K and a Z87-A and have some money left over. And end up with a better gaming" machine.

No. The 8350 murders the 8120/50. It is a newer generation CPU. Having said that, I think a 4670K on a cheap Z87 board is a better choice. After all, if you get an 8350 you'll need a new motherboard anyways.

If you do go 8350 don't cheap out on the motherboard. At least $140 should be invested. Otherwise it won't run the chip properly. Look for 8 phase power on the board minimum.

No. The 8350 murders the 8120/50. It is a newer generation CPU.

This was what i was kinda looking for, but not totally, i was planning on buying a 990FX SaberTooth or a Gygabyte 990FXA-UD3, but another problem is, that i have no idea what UD3 or UD5 means, or 990FX and 990FXA, i know for a fact 990 is a chipset for 9-th gen. AMD Cpu's. Comparing 4670K to 8350, i wouldnt go for it, i need a Gaming/Working PC. Which means i need a 6-core min. as when i render a video and play a game at the same time. When it comes to Gaming, both 4670 and 8350 will be an overkill anyways, so im kinda looking for in the future too, and i think that 8-core will do. That said, also 4670 has 6MB Cache meanwhile 8350 has 16MB cache, which at least on paper is a better choice, and 4670 costs too much for me. Is it worth going for 8320 instead of 8350? Will it make a diffrence? it's 40€ cheaper.
ALSO, how much better is buying ROG mobo insted Gygabyte one? They both have the same chipset and 8+2 power phase...
Thanks for answers i really appreciate it!

The gigabyte board will do nicely with an 8350, plenty of power delivery to OC the chip.

The main difference between the ga-990fxa-ud3, ud5 boards are the PCI express lanes, Which the change would be covered up by a dual slot graphics card.

If going the AMD route i would get the 8350. But if i had to build my PC over again i would go intel.

Generally speaking the 8350 and the 8320 are the same chip it's just that the 8350 tends to clock a bit higher with less voltage to a point. As you can see by my sig I recommened the Sabertooth R 2 non Gen.3. The gen 3's were a bit wonky and I think they were mostly removed from the shelves. The Giga boards are having a throttling issue still as far as I know. It all depends on which revision you get

How am I using the blanket method when I specifically state in my post that if he is gaming, a 4670K is better.

"But (I am the devil's advocate), for the price of an 8350 and a CHV you can get a 4670K and a Z87-A and have some money left over. And end up with a better gaming" machine.
you-came-to-the-wrong-neighborhood-sweetheart.jpg

@op: I`d go with and ROG or sabertooth board.

No. The 8350 murders the 8120/50. It is a newer generation CPU.

This was what i was kinda looking for, but not totally, i was planning on buying a 990FX SaberTooth or a Gygabyte 990FXA-UD3, but another problem is, that i have no idea what UD3 or UD5 means, or 990FX and 990FXA, i know for a fact 990 is a chipset for 9-th gen. AMD Cpu's. Comparing 4670K to 8350, i wouldnt go for it, i need a Gaming/Working PC. Which means i need a 6-core min. as when i render a video and play a game at the same time. When it comes to Gaming, both 4670 and 8350 will be an overkill anyways, so im kinda looking for in the future too, and i think that 8-core will do. That said, also 4670 has 6MB Cache meanwhile 8350 has 16MB cache, which at least on paper is a better choice, and 4670 costs too much for me. Is it worth going for 8320 instead of 8350? Will it make a diffrence? it's 40€ cheaper.
ALSO, how much better is buying ROG mobo insted Gygabyte one? They both have the same chipset and 8+2 power phase...
Thanks for answers i really appreciate it!

The 8350 has more cache because it is not as efficient with it. The amount of cache a CPU has no longer directly affects its function the way it used to.

Core 2 Quads had like 12MB of cache. New CPUs from Intel on the mainstream side have 6 or 8MB due to the more efficient way they address RAM.

Generally speaking the 8350 and the 8320 are the same chip it's just that the 8350 tends to clock a bit higher with less voltage to a point. As you can see by my sig I recommened the Sabertooth R 2 non Gen.3. The gen 3's were a bit wonky and I think they were mostly removed from the shelves. The Giga boards are having a throttling issue still as far as I know. It all depends on which revision you get

So basicly if i buy and overclock the 8320 to 4ghz i would get the same performance as if i would buy 8350?

If i'm buying 8350 i'm getting Gygabyte mobo, if i get 8320, i get SaberTooth mobo. It all depends of the cost.

4670k http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/837?vs=697
4770k http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/836?vs=697

More cores don't mean a whole lot in this case... I realize that I'm in a AMD thread but you guys can't tell me that as a whole a 8320/50 is better than a 4670k or if want to go crazy a 4770k. I just feel if your going to spend the money on a $199 chip and $199 board why not buy a $300 chip and a $129 board and have better performance.

I might get better performance, but i'm buying 170€ chip and 130€ board, 320 is the limit. If i had more money like 600 to spend it on CPU and MOBO, i would definetely go for Intel, just to say "I have i-7" if for nothing else.
But the point is, i don't, so i need to spend the money as wise as i can. Buying a 300 chip and 129 board still doesnt seem like a smart idea, more like 160 board at least, just so it keeps up with the features.
+ i'd would rather spend money on a pc case or a ssd, because i don't plan getting a 1000€ cpu and work for NASA ;)

BUT if you're able to find Intel cpu that would match the price and performance to FX 8350 and with good MOBO price, i would definetly take it, but with budget limit, i can't.

Where are you located?

A stock 4670K pretty much keeps up with a 4ghz 8350. Now overclock the 4670k to 4.6-4.7ghz and you are pulling ahead and you don't need to buy a crazy motherboard to do that. With a FX chip you have to buy a board that can handle the massive wattage that chip needs to be overclocked. I wouldn't go with anything less than a 4+1 phase mobo running that chip at stock and the 990fx chipset has been on the market since 2011 with no new technology.

Last edited:
Where are you located?

With a FX chip you have to buy a board that can handle the massive wattage that chip needs to be overclocked.

thats funny because ive seen 5GHz on my room mates 8350 on this board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130679
the am3+ processors are known to use more wattage so the boards are built accordingly. if you have the cooling ALMOST any am3+ brand name board can keep up with a stock fx8350 and about 50% under $100 can do atleast 4.6GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back