• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 8120 Sabertooth 990fx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdunneirl

hi guys,

I am new here so be gentle.

I am trying to max out my rig which is

Amd 8120 with Sabetooth 990fx

I have 16gb of rip jax 1800mhz ram

AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series 2ghz 890mhz graphics

I am using a h100 with two push fans.

Here is my CPU-Z settings

cpu.jpg

main.jpg

memory.jpg

spd.jpg

I am currently running at 4.01GHZ

Here is my temps after 25min of prime95 64bit (the max ones)

temp.jpg

From what I can see my cpu can go alot higher and my memory should be running alot faster. From what I see so far in the ASUS Freq monitor my multiplier is dropping from 20 to 14 so I am jumping between 2809.4mhz and 4013.4mhz I am guessing this is a power management setting some where.

Oh one last thing my power supply is a cosair tx 650...

Power consumption is 5 12v hd / cd rom. three 12v fans and the monster graphics card which has two power connections. THe h100 and the usual usb draws.

Thanks in advance for the help

John

Your temps are fine. Did you disable Cool N Quiet, Turbo, C1E, C6 in bios and in Windows Control Panel Power Options did you configure it to High Performance? If not, please do so. the green power saving technology messes with overclocking. Your CPU-z settings look fine. Increasing the CPUNB voltage a couple of increments over stock should help with stability.

Your ram is only rated for 1600 mhz and you are already running it at that frequency. CPU-z, like a lot of software and bioses does not report the DDRx transfer rate of the ram but the DDRx bus rate which is half of what the transfer rate is. So double it to figure the transfer rate.

Thanks trents,

I have disabled amd turbo thats the only one that was enabled,
cool and quiet, C1E, C6 are all disabled.

Windows is set to high performace on power management also,

How would I increase the CPUNB here is a screen shot of whats available to me in this section

bios1.jpg

What I notice is... When idle I am ticking over at around 3400 ish 201.1 x 17

but as soon as I start prime I am trottled down to
2808.7 (200.6*14)
then back to
4013.3 (200.7 x 20)

I am not sure what else to check..

I noticed APM is set to auto

changed apm to off and its not trottling now... :D

just re the ram when I bought it box said 1866mhz same with modules... any suggestions there?

thanks

J

What voltage for the RAM? I guess 1.65...

You have to change the RAM settings in the BIOS and match what's written on the modules (Ex: 1866/9-9-9-28-2T/1.65v).

It's right there in your pic. You must take it off Auto to change it and that's true of any bios setting.

Attachments

• CPUNB voltage.JPG
    CPUNB voltage.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 976
It's right there in your pic. You must take it off Auto to change it and that's true of any bios setting.

DO NOT INCREASE YOUR CPU/NB HIGHER THAN IT IS RIGHT NOW!!

Stock settings for CPU/NB are 2000MHz and 1.175V. Increasing V only adds even more to your temperature. I have mine set to 2200 (after I already OC'd it to 4.5) with a CPU/NB @ 1.2V. For now I would advise setting your CPU/NB to stock settings manually and make sure your RAM is at 1600 or lower while you OC the CPU. Once you get the settings right for 4.5ish then start playing with the other settings.

With the H100 you should easily be able to run at 4.5GHz with a load V of around 1.38-1.4V

Yeah, your CPUNB is plenty high as it is. And sorry, I guess CPU-z did not give complete info about your ram in the JEDEC section. It is 1866 ram but to run it that fast you may need to manually set the frequency, timings and voltages in bios which means taking things off of Auto.

Back