• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Amd fx-8150 oc failure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Landopops

Registered
Hello there

I have som problem with my amd fx-8150, it seems like everytime im going to oc, it crashes. Im not going for a sky high oc only 4.2, which the turbo can get it up to, but it's very unstable, and windows is flashing, from normal to the mode when is say you're under heavy load.

Can it be my motherboard asus m5a99x or am i wrong?

Hope some guys can help

1. :welcome: to OCF.

2. Who can answer your question? You don't relate any parameters of value in judging what maybe wrong.

3. Everybody get into the same play book.
These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

When I assemble a system that I intend to overclock, I establish a baseline be it not overclocked or barely overclocked. That is the idea of having good captures to establish where things are and where to go next.

Here they are

Attachments

• cpu-z.PNG
    cpu-z.PNG
    41.7 KB · Views: 95
  • cpu-z2.PNG
    cpu-z2.PNG
    27.4 KB · Views: 90
  • cpu-z3.PNG
    cpu-z3.PNG
    40 KB · Views: 98
  • hwmonitor.PNG
    hwmonitor.PNG
    39.4 KB · Views: 97
The core temp section is missing for some reason in HWMonitor. All we have to go on is the CPU (socket) temp. Your core voltage is not very high so if you are getting warnings about excessive power draw I would suspect it is that 6+2 power phase motherboard you are using. You really need an 8+2 board for that CPU.

Are you using the Auto Overclock Wizard in bios? Just wondering why you are overclocking the FSB when you have a black edition CPU with unlocked multiplier?

Last edited:
1. You need to do some study-up on what you are running. Best to know at least a few o the important things about the FX-8150.

2. TurboCore at the Max Voltage shown by HWMonitor is too low for a fully-clocked 4.2Ghz.

3. Turbocore only goes to 4.2Ghz WITH JUST 4 Cores and not the 8 cores like you would be using if you go in the bios and manually set the multiplier to 21x200 for 4.2Ghz.

4. You need to up the Vcore manually to about 1.4V or so to run the 4.2Ghz all 8 cores on in a manually set mode.

5. That would be the first thing I would do to try and get 4.2Ghz Prime 95 Blend mode stable for at least 2 hours so you could designate 4.2Ghz as stable.

I have a question for you FX-perts out there (punny, eh?). Why is his 8150 labeled as an 8130P? And also, why is his TDP 223 W?

Hey thanks for the quick response but i think my pc ****ed with me yesterday, so i took some new photos :)

Attachments

• cpu-z3.PNG
    cpu-z3.PNG
    20.2 KB · Views: 79
  • cpu-z2.PNG
    cpu-z2.PNG
    17.8 KB · Views: 77
  • cpu-z.PNG
    cpu-z.PNG
    28.5 KB · Views: 75
  • hwmonitor.PNG
    hwmonitor.PNG
    38.6 KB · Views: 78
1. You need to do some study-up on what you are running. Best to know at least a few o the important things about the FX-8150.

2. TurboCore at the Max Voltage shown by HWMonitor is too low for a fully-clocked 4.2Ghz.

3. Turbocore only goes to 4.2Ghz WITH JUST 4 Cores and not the 8 cores like you would be using if you go in the bios and manually set the multiplier to 21x200 for 4.2Ghz.

4. You need to up the Vcore manually to about 1.4V or so to run the 4.2Ghz all 8 cores on in a manually set mode.

5. That would be the first thing I would do to try and get 4.2Ghz Prime 95 Blend mode stable for at least 2 hours so you could designate 4.2Ghz as stable.

I just did what you told me to do, but it's an instant system crash :(

Landopops, please download and install the latest version of HWMonitor. The version you are using doesn't show core temps and has other reporting problems as well. Choose the .exe installer version on the right hand side. During the install routine you can uncheck the boxes to install the add on tool bars. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Landopops, please download and install the latest version of HWMonitor. The version you are using doesn't show core temps and has other reporting problems as well. Choose the .exe installer version on the right hand side. During the install routine you can uncheck the boxes to install the add on tool bars. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

I have the newest version, but it doesn't seem to have the core temps.

Sure, you can use coretemp but I would be surprised if it behaves any differently. Worth a try, however. If it does give a core temp then I would do at least one run of Prime95 with both HWMonitor and Coretemp open to check the differential between CPU socket temp and core temp. The delta will remain constant.

Coretemps only show the same temp on all of the cores but i included it anyway.
Donnu if you can use the ai suite thingy for anything

Attachments

• coretemp.PNG
    coretemp.PNG
    15.4 KB · Views: 77
  • coretemp2.PNG
    coretemp2.PNG
    3.2 KB · Views: 77
  • ai suite.PNG
    ai suite.PNG
    10.2 KB · Views: 74
Back