• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx 6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ImKritical

Registered
I wanted to overclock my Fx processor, no matter what voltage i set it will always freeze my screen.
I have fx 6300 cooled by an Arctic aio with liquid ultra applied, motherboard i got is Asus M5a97 r2.0 connected to xfx pro 650w power supply.
temps are not a problem i can run 1.524v at maximum 60c core and 70c socket, every clock crashes even 4.2ghz on 1.422v it will sometimes run prime 95 for 6h then my screen will freeze then i will bump the voltage up and it crashed after 6 minutes, bumping voltage up should make in more stable but it always freezes my screen.
i tried everything even changed my fx with my friends fx and it does the same thing no diffrance.
LLC is on all the amd crap, turbo stuff is off.
i tried oc with just mlutiplier then bus and then mix of both but nothing.
i got no idea whats wrong and what to do im just stuck.

Hi.
Have you disable core performance boost?
Don't forget to disable APM too in cpu configuration section then cool and quiet SVM, C1and C6.
In the DIGI+ section set LLC to High.

Best thing you could do is list off your parts then post some screen shots of CPUz main,memory and SPD tabs. Also a shot of HWmonitor free while the PC is loaded so we can see what's going on under the hood.

Fx 6300
Mobo: M5a97 r2.0
Gpu: Gtx 1060 Msi 3gb gt (overclocked)
Power supply: XFX Pro 650w
Ram: hyper fury 1600 8gb

Here are some screenshots
znMfl9.jpg

7JSN87.jpg

C7HPwo.jpg

What were you running while you took these screenshots, your CPU usage is 100%. Also BUS is 222x ? i assumed you were overclocking via multiplier since the FX is unlocked.

i was running prime 95, i overclocked bus and multiplier since i found it more stable with the mix instead of just multiplier.

i was running prime 95, i overclocked bus and multiplier since i found it more stable with the mix instead of just multiplier.

1st thing I'd do to trouble shoot is drop the Ram speed. You're running at near 1800 Mhz with 1600 Mhz Ram sticks. Some of these Fx processors have issue running over 1600 Mhz on the Dram without a bump in Cpu Nb voltage, I have one of them. Additionally, I've seen on more then one occasion where these AMD chips do not play nice with Kingson ram.

Already done that, made no diffrance but i noticed that before my pc crashes voltage drops to like 1.10v/1.02v

Hmmm, that Psu was a pretty good Seasonic unit when new. Though, if you're noticing that the voltage is dropping before a crash. I'd suspect either the VRM section is overheating and the board is trying to save it's own life or the Psu is starting to fail.

Just out of curiosity the M5A97 R2 board is it one with heatsinks on the VRM or is it the Le version? I have a similar board M5A99X Evo and it runs my Fx 6300 all day long at 4.5 without a hiccup. As far as the temps go if you can put you hand on the heatsink to see if it's hot it helps. Mine get pretty hot when I have my Fx 8350 on the board, the 6300 doesn't heat them up as bad.

As far as the Psu you're going to need a multi meter to properly test it, preferably a Digital one. There are a million guides out there on how to do so.

Its actually the one with heatsinks, i have it for almost two years and it used to be fine it was running stable on 4.5ghz with evo 212 no problems, now it went unstable for uknown reason.
4 days im trying to overclock it and i have no luck after 1-2h usually crashes even when i add 0.10v, only once it went for about 6h crashed i added voltage and it crashed after like 6 minutes istead of being more stable.
Im just holding to it for like 6-8 months longer then ill do an upgrade.
I touched the vrm's heatsink and it feels like 60c at idle

Last edited:
This is a 4+2 if the codename is right, a fan over the VRMs will help. 60c at idle doesn’t sound too healthy, it will jump much higher when stressing 😝

i will get some zipties and put a fan over vrms and see if it helps

Update

Clocked the processor higher with amd stock fan that comes with fx processor, pointed it at vrms and its fine so far but runs quite loud now.
Are there coolers for vrms? should i change thermal pads under my vrm heatsink, or get a 60-80mm fan ?
If i should get a fan what do you recommand me? i would like it to be really quiet, cant stand the stock one way too loud.

Forgot to mention that i also raised ram voltage to 1.55v, will that be enough or should i lower it ?

Last edited:
This is a 4+2 if the codename is right, a fan over the VRMs will help. 60c at idle doesn’t sound too healthy, it will jump much higher when stressing ��
That board has a 6+2 Vrm Kenrou, it shouldn't have an issue running the Fx-6300. Though I do agree a fan on the Vrm is helpful. I have one on my 8350/CHV setup.

Well regardless OP should be ok at stock and/or minor overclock with the extra fan over the VRM. I also used the stock fan from my 8370 and it dropped temps by 15c-20c and although loud it did the job perfectly while I used it.

As to getting a better fan or VRM padding, IMO it would depend on how long you planning to stick with this setup, few months not worth it, few years definitely get a couple 40mm/80mm, preferably Noctua or better if possible.

Regarding the instability, It still sounds like memory issues to me, possibly because you’re overclocking via BUS or as Mandrake said you need to bump CPU/NB voltage (for reference my 8370 uses ~1.35v to be stable at 1866mhz CL9). Would it be possible for you to reset BIOS and try using multiplier just to troubleshoot if bumping voltage doesn’t help ?

Back