• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx 6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Overheating VRMs seemed to be the problem, they have a massive heatsink i would never assume that they need better cooling.
I actually clocked multiplier to 4.6ghz and left bus at 222, did prime 95 overnight 7 hours no crash, seems that we solved the problem.
With this setup im planning to stick for about 6-8 months and i really want to overclock it to its fullest, i dont really mind if it runs at 1.500v+ but i would like to hit hopefully 4.8-5ghz.
So im wondering if basically it will survive that voltage for 24/7 and not die in these 6 to 8 months.
We solved the biggest problem but i still got few questions, do i even have a thermalpad under the heatsink? can't figure it out how to take it off and i dont really see tutorials on that particular board.
Should i really buy a thermalpad? or just get a quiet fan? or even both? My last question is Dram voltage, i set to 1.55v on hyper fury (one with heatsink) is that not too much ?

I will post my Bios ss incase something is wrong, just to be safe so here they are

Gg832H.png
rPgzjB.png
61kNaz.png
hJw9zC.png
sCjKAy.png
ERCavA.png
sxzt78.png
SHf2h8.png

Last edited:
IMO it’s a very bad idea to try to overclock further on that motherboard, but opinions might differ ;) I would try to get a cheap deal on maybe a M5a97 EVO R2.0 or similar from other brands (maybe a Gaming Aura) just to get the 6+2 or 8+2 your CPU wants. If it passed Prime95 Blend ~2h+ then you should be ok for RAM voltage ?

EDIT: Enable HPC mode and disable APM on 1st screenshot, disable PCIe Spread Spectrum on the 7th. There should be tutorials for VRM pads for in this forum, look up cooling or possibly the motherboard section.

Last edited:
To answer your questions a bit.
Running 1.5v no one can tell you how long you'll get out of the chip. If I were a betting man, I'd say you wouldn't have an issue running it like that for a few years, these Fx chips are durable. That said it will also depend on your temps @ 1.5 V that chip is going to be throwing off a lot of heat.

As far as the thermal pads under the heatsink, if the fan is keeping the temps down just leave it be.

Your Dram voltage is fine at 1.55 v

Looking back you pretty much told us what the problem was, if I'm not mistaken from what I've re-read. You were running at 4.5 with a Cooler master 212 heatsink but when switching to an AIO cooler started having the issues? The reason why a lot of times these AIO coolers cause this issue with the AMD FX chips, is because when you go from a Air heat sink to an AIO. You essentially remove the airflow that the VRM heatsinks were getting from, in your case, the CM 212. These FX chips, especially the 6xxx and 8xxx chips demand a lot of voltage when overclocked. You board is a bit under powered for the 6300 so that section was over heating thus causing the instability.
EDIT: Enable HPC mode and disable APM on 1st screenshot, disable PCIe Spread Spectrum on the 7th.
This is good advice from Kenrou

i have almost same setup.
Asus m5a97 2 evo
EVGA 1060gtx 3gb
gskill 8gb 2400 ddr3

i could get 4ghz stock cooler etc but would ride 62c to 72c in games/heavy load.
with aftermarket air cooler. i now get 37-40c idle and 52-58c under load/games. same oc.
i have just tried ram @ 2133 oc max mb supports.

Decided to change thermal pad under the vrm and get a quiet fan.
Did all that and got a bequiet pure wings 2 80mm, cooled the vram and then problem decided to come back...
I also noticed that my south bridge is running really hot, I can only touch it for litterly two seconds and it burns.
Also decided to cool that and lower the speeds to 4ghz at 1.300v using only multiplier! No bus at all, it ran twice for 2H then I incrised voltage and froze after 7 minutes.
Forgot to mention that I also changed thermal paste under southbridge.
What could be the problem ?
Im really close to giving up on it.

E: Just now i went into bios reseted it to defults, and guess what it crashes on stock speed...
i used another fx cpu and it does the same thing, i still got warranty on it like 2 months left so should i send it to them ? and did i void my warranty by changing thermalpaste on southbridge and thermalpad o northbridge?

Last edited:
Back