• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 8320 Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Explain please. And can I make this situation better for overclocking or is it not worth it and whats causing this issue. I'm assuming its this Board of mine. I've heard good things but more bad things than good. I was thinking of getting the
Sabertooth 990fx or ASUS M5A97 LE 2.0 I heard these were good for OC.

For starters your Ram is oced to 1600 Mhz and according to the spd profile only rated for 1333, it doesn;t mean they will not do 1600 Mhz just when Ocing you want to change one thing at a time. Also if you will a SS of Hwmonitor would be more helpful only because it helps us all be on the same page. Additionally could you include a cpu screen shot as well. Your temps don't look to be an issue, it's likely the ram or lack of voltage to the Cpu is causing the crash. Though, I have found that when my computer completely freezes when running prime it is usually due to the motherboard not being able to supply enough clean power to the Cpu. I had the same problem trying to run my 8350 on my Asus M5A99x Evo board which has a 6+2 Vrm section. When I tried getting it stable above 4.5 the whole computer would freeze during stress testing. It turns out that the M5A99x which is a really good board just doesn't have the power to run the 8350 above 4.5. When I switched to my Crosshair V Formula my problem was solved.

Unfortunately, these Fx 8xxx/9xxx chips are very demanding of the motherboard they are used on when overclocked. This would be a good read for you to familiarize yourself with these chips.

Xeriian, this is what we want to see and using HWMonitor from CPUID com...

...plus CpUz from CPUID com. Both are in FREE versions not trial or demo versions.

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Xeriian, couple things: First, please use HWMOnitor non pro version to monitor temps and voltages. It will show three columns: Current value, Minimum value and Maximum value. Whatever you are using now shows only two columns and it's not apparent whether or not the lower values are current or minimum values.

Second, please include a pic of the CPU tab when you post attached pics of CPU-z.

I was told to use Prim95 for 15-20 minutes running. Is this correct or wrong.

20 minutes is generally what we use to establish "tentative" stability during the initial stages of overclocking. It's time efficient but not sufficient to prove true stability. As we zero in on "the wall", that is to say we sense we are approaching the max overclock, we move to two hour stress testing periods as if you can pass two hours it usually demonstrates the overclock is stable for use under most computing tasks.

Explain please. And can I make this situation better for overclocking or is it not worth it and whats causing this issue. I'm assuming its this Board of mine. I've heard good things but more bad things than good. I was thinking of getting the
Sabertooth 990fx or ASUS M5A97 LE 2.0 I heard these were good for OC.

The only time you should see m5a97 referenced to a sabertooth is to say how crappy it is in comparison. Seriously, where did you see that it was good for these chips? Im on a personal crusade to eradicate m5a97 usage for FX chip users. (Yeah Im a tad bitter haha)

For 24/7 OC golden rule is 8-12 hours stress test min.

There is no "golden rule" for stability. Your uses =/= my uses =/= everyone else. 2 hours is more than likely plenty for probably 99% of applications.

You benchers, tisktisk.

For 24/7 OC golden rule is 8-12 hours stress test min.

I have seen errors in OCs at 2:30 hours

FWIW, I don't even prime my daily machines. Gaming and day to day tasks are the best test of stability.
Folding too......if you're a folder.
Everybody's idea of stability is a little different.

The only time you should see m5a97 referenced to a sabertooth is to say how crappy it is in comparison. Seriously, where did you see that it was good for these chips? Im on a personal crusade to eradicate m5a97 usage for FX chip users. (Yeah Im a tad bitter haha)

There is no "golden rule" for stability. Your uses =/= my uses =/= everyone else. 2 hours is more than likely plenty for probably 99% of applications.
Dude Ive seen errors at exactly 2:34. 8-12 hours on the other hand is pure stability bliss

Dude Ive seen errors at exactly 2:34. 8-12 hours on the other hand is pure stability bliss

There was a time here in this forum when I first joined that nothing short of 12 hours prime blend stable would be accepted as a claim of stability.

Personally my feelings are instability can be induced in a system that was once thought of as stable just by a chain in ambient temps or in minor changes of your rig. 12 hours, 8 hours or whatever a person chooses is good for them. I too believe that 2 hours of prime blend is more than enough for me. Even while X264 pounding on my system for 12 to 16 hours straight with BLU-RAY encodes I know it will hold up and finish what I asked it to do.

Only if it's necessary for what you do with the machine, otherwise it's overkill.
Game?

QFT!!! I have never had my rig crash if I can pass two hours prime blend and I'm pretty hard on my rig!
Game?

There was a time here in this forum when I first joined that nothing short of 12 hours prime blend stable would be accepted as a claim of stability.

Personally my feelings are instability can be induced in a system that was once thought of as stable just by a chain in ambient temps or in minor changes of your rig. 12 hours, 8 hours or whatever a person chooses is good for them. I too believe that 2 hours of prime blend is more than enough for me. Even while X264 pounding on my system for 12 to 16 hours straight with BLU-RAY encodes I know it will hold up and finish what I asked it to do.
Game?

I quit prime years ago, OCCT is better and catches errors prime wont

Sorry for the late response. I will go ahead and try to do this again and attach pictures. Will reply back in a few hours after and if it doesn't freeze on me again

What is really the model # and rated speed of your RAM? You are running it at 1600 mhz when CPU-z indicates it's rated for a maximum of 1333 mhz. CPU-z can sometimes give a wrong report about RAM speed ratings however.

Believe they are 1333 mhz and im running at 1600 right now on OC. Model number not too sure how i find that. Do i go into the bios to view that info or do I pull the ram out of the board and look?

How can I fix this issue. What would be then next step. what do I increase and or decrease. Is this possible, or even worth it.

If in fact your RAM is only rated for 1333 mhz then you are likely going to experience instability from the RAM speed being too high for the product unless (maybe) you relax the RAM timings and jack up the RAM voltage. Really, though, what you should do is go into bios and manually set the RAM frequency to 1333. By the way, CPU-z reports the memory bus speed, not the RAM frequency and that's why the numbers are half of what you would expect. The bus frequency x 2 would be the DDR frequency. You need to take a RAM stick out and examine the label on the side to determine what in fact is the rated max frequency. As I said, CPU-z can sometimes get that wrong.

Back