• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-8350 Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wanted to go all out on good components. That way I'm not spending money later on down the road to get a upgraded part that I could of got in the begining. And How do I tell if my CPU is one of the ones that will do good on low voltage? Cause I built this PC about a month ago.
Well you can see if it's a low voltage chip by posting the P-States. You can see the P-States by opening Cpu-Z, clicking on the about tab and save report .txt then taking a Screen Shot of that and posting it. That said as Mr.Scott said you wont know what kind of voltage it wants until you start ocing it. Every chip is different so even though you have have the same motherboard and chip as a bunch of us we cannot say just give it X voltage and set the Oc to x and it will work.

I only really want to go 4.5 max on it. So now to just figure it out so I can see what will be the max I can get
That's what you say now :p

Well you can see if it's a low voltage chip by posting the P-States. You can see the P-States by opening Cpu-Z, clicking on the about tab and save report .txt then taking a Screen Shot of that and posting it.
Even that is iffy at best. P-States on my chip were fairly low, but that aint how it worked out.

Even that is iffy at best. P-States on my chip were fairly low, but that aint how it worked out.
Agreed, hence the " That said as Mr.Scott said you wont know what kind of voltage it wants until you start ocing it."

Well there is one of those FX-8350s with the 20.0x at 1.313V, which is exactly what I had dreamed about a year ago. It was only after seeing a number of these newer 8 core FXs that reality has set in.

Sadly the newer 8 cores do not have the extra banzi headroom in them that was in the much older 8 cores. So far the newer ones seem to go to a point and quit no matter how much cpu voltage you hit them with. And some cold water will not move the clock up either as happened with earlier 8 cores.

All that becoming more and more clear each day that someone comes in with a newer FX-8320 or 8350, it is likely that j93 should be able to do 4.6 or 4.7Ghz if all is as has been seen. Now we are where "manny" and Mr. Scott said we were. You never know until you start upping the multiplier and overclocking the thing.
RGone...ster.

Well there is one of those FX-8350s with the 20.0x at 1.313V, which is exactly what I had dreamed about a year ago. It was only after seeing a number of these newer 8 core FXs that reality has set in.

Sadly the newer 8 cores do not have the extra banzi headroom in them that was in the much older 8 cores. So far the newer ones seem to go to a point and quit no matter how much cpu voltage you hit them with. And some cold water will not move the clock up either as happened with earlier 8 cores.

All that becoming more and more clear each day that someone comes in with a newer FX-8320 or 8350, it is likely that j93 should be able to do 4.6 or 4.7Ghz if all is as has been seen. Now we are where "manny" and Mr. Scott said we were. You never know until you start upping the multiplier and overclocking the thing.
RGone...ster.

Do you think I should upgrade my cooling solution before trying to overclock?

Mostly anything said right now is a guess...

...a guess since we are not at your rig and cannot see a dang thing. Set multiplier to 20 and then as below. Then we will know somethimg to say something about.
RGone...ster.

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

...a guess since we are not at your rig and cannot see a dang thing. Set multiplier to 20 and then as below. Then we will know somethimg to say something about.
RGone...ster.

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.
cpu1.png hwmonnew.png mem.png spd.png
There is the screen shots. I don't have P95 right now but I was playing a game when I got the HWmon screen shot

Jellis, a HWmonitor SS while under load of prime blend for 20 minutes is useful because it will get us all on the same page. It will give us an idea of how much overclocking headroom you have temperature wise. It just makes it a lot easier for us to help you if were all on the same page.

Back