• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Fx-8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FangzMatheson

Registered
Hey Guys, I have an AMD FX-8350 CPU that I havent installed yet that Im going to be running at 4.2GHz, Im upgrading from a AMD Phenom 2 quad core OC'ed to 3.5 GHz, Was this worth it? Will I see much of a difference? Im running this on a Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 Board. I know I will see a difference, I just dont know if it was worth the $180 was all. (Im building a new rig) Thanks!

You will see a small to modest improvement in things like games and a big improvement in things like AV rendering that can really use the four extra cores. Most games aren't well-enough multi-threaded to be able to use more than four cores and a lot of them can't even use four cores very well. It will be really application dependent. Whether or not it was worth the money is a question only you can answer, therefore.

Im going to be running at 4.2GHz, better plan on having a decent heatsink.
Was it worth it? It depends on what you're using it for.
Will you see much of a difference? See above.

Oh yes, I have a decent Heatsink. Im not stupid, I have experience. But, I have no experience with the new line of FX Series Processors. I was simply asking people with Experience of a similar Transition/Upgrade.

Can you give us more detail about your hardware:

PSU
Video card
Case make and model, case fans. How big? How many intake and how many exhaust fans?
Make and model of CPU cooler.
Ram make, model, amount, speed

Do you know how to attach screen shots with your posts? Not links to pics but attached screenshots. We will be asking you for some.

Download and install CPU-z, HWMonitor nonpro, Prime95.

What are you gonna be using it for I came from a phenom x4 I really isn't THAT much better in games. but in cinema 4d and video editing and compressing it's light years ahead

CPU:AMD FX 8350 CPU, PSU: Evga NEX 750 Bronze, GPU: Nvidia EVGA Geforce GTX 660, MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX, Case: AZZA Genesis 900, RAM: Kingston Hyperx Predator Series running at 2400 MHz. Thats my final Build, Have everything besides CPU which is a AMD Pheom 2 quad core Atm

Oh yes, I have a decent Heatsink. Im not stupid, I have experience.
No-one is saying you're stupid. The issue is most new owners of these Fx 8 series Cpu's aren't prepared for the amount of heat they put out, especially when overclocked. I would rather see you spend money on a heatsink that will meat your needs now, then have to buy something you're going to want to replace if it's not up to task.

But, I have no experience with the new line of FX Series Processors. I was simply asking people with Experience of a similar Transition/Upgrade

I upgraded from a 955be that was run 24/7 at 4.1 to the 8350 in my signature.
In the games I play BFBC2, BFH and BF3 I don't feel there is any difference between the two processors.
In everyday tasks the 8350 is definitely faster.
In single core operations, the 955 will beat out the 8350 in most cases

Im upgrading from a AMD Phenom 2 quad core OC'ed to 3.5 GHz, Was this worth it? = probably not worth it since you could have just overclocked the P2 to 4.0 or so. Then 4.2Ghz on the FX would not have been enough to show a real difference.

Will I see much of a difference? See response above.

I just dont know if it was worth the $180 was all. Doubt it was worth anywhere near $180.00 overall. But you have already done it so what we think matters about "zero".

I game with an fx 6300, 8350. a 965be and just started playing with an intel 2600k, what counts the most for me is the video card, if you put the rigs behind a screen and just plugged one in I could never tell you witch one it was if they all used the same video card.

I game with an fx 6300, 8350. a 965be and just started playing with an intel 2600k, what counts the most for me is the video card, if you put the rigs behind a screen and just plugged one in I could never tell you witch one it was if they all used the same video card.

I feel the same way
The card is what does the work

RAM: Kingston Hyperx Predator Series running at 2400 MHz. You were really running that ram at DDR3-2400 which by the way is 1200Mhz and with DDR is rated at DDR3-2400, with an AMD Phenom 2 quad core OC'ed to 3.5 GHz? Many P2's wanted to struggle with DDR3-1600, but you have DDR3-2400 on a P2 4 core. That must be one h*ll of an IMC in that P2. What is the actual model of that P2? One of us may want to buy it for that good IMC.

RAM: Kingston Hyperx Predator Series running at 2400 MHz. You were really running that ram at DDR3-2400 which by the way is 1200Mhz and with DDR is rated at DDR3-2400, with an AMD Phenom 2 quad core OC'ed to 3.5 GHz? Many P2's wanted to struggle with DDR3-1600, but you have DDR3-2400 on a P2 4 core. That must be one h*ll of an IMC in that P2. What is the actual model of that P2? One of us may want to buy it for that good IMC.
Don't believe it was on the Phenom Gonester, though running 2400 on the 8350 may be tough also.

The IMC is the memory controller inside the CPU. AKA, CPU_NB. That frequency dictates how fast the memory controller runs. These guys are right you may have 2400 memory but I highly doubt it's running at that speed.

Hmmm. I see, Im not familiar with the term. I have it running at 2400 MHz, I clocked it up that high in the Bios. Im 99% sure.

And I thought AMD pre-FX CPUs could only run RAM at 1600 at best. Maybe OP's CPU is golden.

Like everything else that is chip dependent, I've had no issues right up to 1800 and 2000 with looser timings on my 1090T, not sure if I got lucky with my chip or that I just got lucky with my ram but for the most part you are right most people cant run that high.

CPU:AMD FX 8350 CPU, PSU: Evga NEX 750 Bronze, GPU: Nvidia EVGA Geforce GTX 660, MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX, Case: AZZA Genesis 900, RAM: Kingston Hyperx Predator Series running at 2400 MHz. Thats my final Build, Have everything besides CPU which is a AMD Pheom 2 quad core Atm

I don't see anything in here about the cooler you are using to cool the 8350.

Fangz,

How about downloading and installing CPU-z. Launch the program and click on the "Memory" tab. With Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories, crop and capture a screenshot of the Memory tab window. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window on the forum. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top. That will take you to the file browser/loader so you can attach an image of the CPU-z Memory tab. I want to see with my own eyes that you have the ram running at 2400 mhz.

, RAM: Kingston Hyperx Predator Series running at 2400 MHz.

I have the same CPU and MOBO. Currently I'm having issues with accessing the BIOS, but other than that, I love my setup. Your CPU will already run at 4.1GHz while idle and for normal use. That's a stock feature. However, I noticed the RAM hence the quote. You know the board doesn't support 2400MHz, right? only up to 1866

Back