• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 8370

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you can make it easy and just cut the big hole, drill the 4 fan mounting holes and then use a cheap fan grill.

Can anyone tell me what CPU voltage offset means? I have a CPU voltage and offset little farther down...also I've been looking for a setting that is referred to in many ocing threads LLC? The information below isn't my exact set up it was a reference point. I put the CPU NB volts back to stock as well as NB voltage. However I set the cpu volt offset to 150 and the cpu volts I believe are just under 1.4 which I think was like 1.38? maybe.

cpu volt.png

cpu volt offset.png

The Offset raises CPU voltage or lowers it. So in the bottom pic, it's .0100 volt higher or more than the 1.4125v.

So if CPU V is 1.4000v +100mv would be 1.4100v

ahh okay...also when ocing is it better to just leave the CPU base clock at 200mhz/auto and just adjust the CPU multiplier? That way don't gotta mess with ram timings etc or? For the ram as well if i choose XMP 1.3 profile 1 it automatically adjusted my DRAM frequency to auto which puts it to DDR3-840....is it best to just leave this as auto or change it to DDR3-1640? The reason I"m getting 1640 is because I changed my base clock to 210. I noticed though if i leave it at auto and do the 840 my temps seem to stay lower....

I believe the Asrock boards don't have LLC (load line calibration) what that does is help with vdrop and vdroop. As long as the set voltage is staying close to the load voltage you'll be OK. Typically it is better to stay at 200 base clock for initial testing but 210 seems to be fine and I see no reason for you to drop it ATM. This talk of auto is that the ram? What is it saying in windows in CPUz if it says 840 then you're actually running 1680 effective frequency. That's where the DDR comes in double data rate the frequency really is only 840 but data is sent twice per cycle.

Well that kind of sucks but yeah I'm referring to the ram and no if it's put at auto mode mode for dram frequency it sets it to it 840 and cpuz says it's running at 420 dual channel and I have 4 sticks....guess that explains the less heat because if set to 1680 it says 840...the temp difference though is pretty big usually my socket during prime95 during 640 test was getting up to 60 and if I remember right I believe it was getting 51-53

That can be a problem. I just re-read the first post here and you have 32GB of ram?? That's way too much especially for the FX IMC. That would explain some of the heat. Try pulling two of the four out and test. Leave the 2nd and fourth socket occupied. If you need it for video editing or something then you'll have to live with the heat.
I's also ask that you make a list of your parts in a signature that will appear below your post like you in mine where I have all the links. At the top of the page in the grey bar you'll see forum actions select edit profile then next page on left side you'll see edit signature.
This just makes it easier for everyone when we can see in each post what parts you have then we don't have to ask.

Okay I'll have to do that later...but you got it the 32 gbs of ram WAS for video editing...I say was because my wife was gonna need it for that but sister in law backed out last minute and said that later this year they'll get back to it so I already purchased the extra ram so just left it in lol

You'll find that 16GB is still plenty of ram for anything you're going to do. I'd still work at it with two sticks and if thins change in the future then you can add the others back in but will need to re-test stability

Whats your guys opinion on ram cooling like the gskill mount with fans

What program can i use to check that....and I see you over clocked by mhz...when you did that for ram how do you go about making it stable like changing timing etc?

Someone else would have to chime in on that, I got lucky. Just bumped the ram and CPU/nb voltage up a bit, and set timings according to the closest profile in cpuz. As for monitoring those temps, I use Asus AI suite, I'm sure asrock has their own software that can monitor whatever sensors your board has. I wouldn't worry about ram temps though.

Last edited:
Timely FX8370 Thread

Hello everyone,

"I recently purchased the 8370 and am doing a tiny bit of ocing. I have an antec twelve hundred v3 tower. I do run aio liquid cooler corsair h80i v2"

Thats pretty cool!
I also have an FX-8370 on an ASUS M5A99FX-PRO Rev#2 Mobo and am cooling it with the same Corsair H80i GT watercooler.
I have it loaded into a older ANTEC 900 case which I highly modified for a "Hunchback or Backpack Rad Mod" with its rad Externally mounted in a push pull config. To cool my VRM's, I placed a 100mm 4pin fan which I rested on the back of my GPU card and have it leaning on an angle against the top of the water block. This is a temporary setup as I decide to either build a custom case from scratch(because I can't find one that fits my design ideas for long term upgrading and modding needs) or just get a Coolermaster Master Case Pro! I would rather the ATX Cube design I have in mind.

Anywho! I have also made a provision for adding another 80mm fan on the back of the mobo to help cool the socket. I had planned that from the beginning after seeing it in a You Tube video. But the fact is, with that 100mm 4pin moving a greater volume of air over the face of the socket as well as the VRM's, heat is no longer an issue AT ALL.

My case in point. I normally run my system in its non gaming "Silent" configuration at 4.3ghz all the time and the system temp never goes above 38C while I watch videos via streaming or play a torrented movie while I stream more torrents at the same time. It's effortless and has no heat problems even if I run a game while playing a TED video in the background. But when I want the higher FPS levels for gaming, I O/C it up to its median 4.7ghz for 100+ FPS and tweak my Sapphire R9 285X Dual-X Amethyst 2gb GPU up a notch. So far the highest temps a I have seen is the GPU hits 52C and the GPU tops out at 47C... Barely pushing either, and I have my watercooling rig set to a mild Balanced 2 setting I created that makes it just barely audible.

As for the potential of this system for Maximum O/C performance, I have barely touched it. Using AMD's OverDrive app, I was able to push the FX-8370 to 6.3 ghz before it glitched and reset. And it ran at that rate for over 10 minutes. Just to be sure I set her back to 6.2 ghz and it ran the stability test for over 30 minutes without issue. I'm just starting to play around with saved stable settings above 4.7ghz in real gaming mode. It's just a matter of spending the time tweaking the memory to stabilize it for each specific game and increase the water pump and fan speed to keep it in the safe temperature zone. So I will be running tests for 5, 5.3, 5.7 & 6ghz shortly. I'll share what I find over time.

P.S.>>> At 4.7ghz, I am getting 90+ frames in Mechwarrior Online. And I will be testing it for WOW & WOT when I get back to them. Right now, I'm just enjoying Mechwarrior too much!

LJM's Rig:
ANTEC 900 (modified)
CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 4.3ghz Stock O/C
Mobo: ASUS M5A99FX-PRO Rev#2
RAM: 8Gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz 2x4Gb
HDD: Seagate 1Tb Sata3
GPU: Sapphire R9 285X AMETHYST Dual -X 2Gb Vram
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i GT(i-link)
PSU: Corsair HX1000i(i-link)

Attachments

• IMG-20160416-00121.jpg
    IMG-20160416-00121.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG-20160416-00122.jpg
    IMG-20160416-00122.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG-20160415-00105.jpg
    IMG-20160415-00105.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG-20160415-00103.jpg
    IMG-20160415-00103.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG-20160416-00112.jpg
    IMG-20160416-00112.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG-20160416-00113.jpg
    IMG-20160416-00113.jpg
    665.9 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Welcome to OCF Louie.
Not that I doubt what you saw but 6.3 GHz on that small AIO is pretty hard to believe. I've been playing with these chips for a long time and that kind of speed always took some sub-ambient cooling for me. Are you sure it was running that speed or is that just what AMD OD said it was tuning?

6.2 ghz is was definitely what AMD Overdrive Autotune had run stable. As I said. It ran the Autotune to 6.3 and ran for 10 minutes at that speed before it restarted my system. I ran the BENCHMARK Test in AMD Overdrive for an hour as instructed, to accumulate and calculate the specs. Then I ran the Stability Test stage in Overdrive to test it's absolute limits for another hour, again as I was instructed. I have been told that most people shortcut these stages out of impatience, and that will affect your results because the app will not have a complete picture of the data or complete specs of the CPU, RAM or PSU stability which I was told were all critical to the end results. The fact that I already had the 100mm fan in place over the North Bridge and VRM's helped. And I did take the added measure of having my windows open to allow cool air in and not allow my room to "hotbox" affecting the ambient Temperature.

I wanted to start testing the system at 5ghz+, but my buddy(who introduced me to O/Cing suggested I start at 4.6ghz and work my way up so that I would have aN esculating series of stable overclocks I could add to my saved settings in both AMD AI & Overdrive at multiple levels of O/C so that I could use whichever setting worked best or was demanded by the specific games I play without overtaxing or stressing my system. I myself am not an expert in O/Cing. YET!

I am an expert at system builds. There are build tricks and things my O/Cing expert pal has seen me do that he didn't believe actually helps when it comes to CPU prep, Such as the way I apply my paste, But I have proven to him that it can make as much as a 10 degree difference in running cooler doing it my way. Just spalling a ball of paste in the middle of the CPU and squishing it with the face of the heat transfer plate is no guaranty of uniformity or complete coverage ever. And the fact that I have never toasted a processor on any of my builds or those I built for friends who tend to O/C like drunken maniac mad men is a testament to my practices. Every little bit helps.

So far, I have only managed to spend the time tweaking the Memory & bus and Northbridge & bus to find a stable 4.6 & 4.7 ghz settings for my saved spec set. These were pretty easy and didn't take much effort. And the fact that neither my CPU or GPU saw temps past 47C, I still feel there is a lot of headroom left to explore. I personally don't like to allow my CPU or sockets to ever reach past 65C for long periods. It's also why I have never damaged a CPU in the past. But I will be trying to work towards a stable 5ghz (which was my original target) and the results for 4.7ghz was just completed. The AMD Overdrive tests I rans was only yesterday April 15th 2016, So I have just started doing this with the little time I have. I'm a single dad with two sons(11 & 15) who are always in need of my attention.... Mostly to help keep their gaming systems working and troubleshooting whatever glitch they have. So getting time to focus on my rig is kind of a rarity! I barely get time to just play Mech these days, let alone tweaking my own rig. So please be patient... I am new to EXTREME O/Cing and have spent the last 10 years trying to talk mostly kids out of O/Cing at all trying to push a "SYSTEM PRESERVATION" mentality instead. Mostly because they are never cautious in their approach and because they can't afford the replacement cost of a "FLAMED-OUT" CPU or residual Mobo toasting.

Who knows... I may never get my rig beyond 5.3ghz completely stable in real world use. But my O/Cing buddies all think that I have some kind of magic CPU lottery winning chip on my hands. It could just be an oddball, but then it could just be a matter of "best practices"! I have helped to improve the CPU heat performance of a few O/Cing buddies rigs by -10C on a pretty consistent basis. So this might prove to be a critical point in the end results.

P.S.>>> I mentioned 5.3ghz stable because I used a friends FX-8350's settings for a test. It ran fine and I was able to see FSP of 140+ in Mechwarrior Online, But I didn't like the temperature range(58C-62C) at full utilization. It will likely be fine once I get the time to fine tune it and get those temps down around 55C without big fluctuations. And I wasn't running my CPU cooler to it's "LIFTOFF" settings... I don't like the noise of the fans spinning their guts out, So I will have to find a working fan and pump speed that does the job without setting the fans at full tilt, along with the CPU specific tuning tuned for the FX8370 secifically....

I'll let you know as I go.

Last edited:
Your overclocking friend/buddy is correct... Start looking to stablize at ~4.5/4.6 and slowly work up each additional 100Mhz. I'm not so sure that your motherboard and cooling can handle a FX-Eight core running heavy stress at ~5.0 (+)??

Forget about AMD Overdrive and do all your settings manually in BIOS. :thup:

Post back here with some screen shots of your current 4.5GHz overclock under load in windows and we can help you go up from there. :)

Use CPUZ and HWmonitor and stress with something hard like Prime95... Just increase the multi leave HTT/Bus speed at 200... CPU/NB at 2200MHz and HT link at 2600MHz Memory at DDR3-1866...

FX8370 CPUz/HWMonitor/Rosetta load:
Capture.PNG

FX8370 Prime95 load:
Capture 2.PNG

Thanks PolRoger for your input and encouragement.
I have no personal need for self aggrandizement or embellishment. I just want to contribute to making AMD gear specifically, perform to their ultimate potential and learn even more from others who share information and experience. The pictures I put up were the actual tests I ran at the moment I was running it. So the stress test in AMD Overdrive would have failed long before it ever reached 6ghz if it didn't actually surpass that rate. And how you can make it just APPEAR or DISPLAY ANYTHING in that app seems a bit too much work, and to what end I have no idea as MrScott seemed to be suggesting. I am no prankster or troll.

Maybe I was just Lucky in the "CPU Lottery" as my O/C pals seem to think. Or maybe it's due to my build practices or a combination of both.
All I can tell Mr.Scott is that my particular FX-8370 has spent every minute of it's operational life with a high rated watercooler on it, and at no time has my CPU ever gotten close to 60F so far, which means that I have not damaged the temp sensors or overheated the CPU to cause it any wonkiness, instability or unreliable data acquisition since I bought it last December during Boxing Week.... And I am only repeating what I saw in the Stress test myself and photographed. I don't have the time or inclination to fudge the numbers for the Glory. After all, I'm an old school guy who believes that doing so is only lying to yourself.

In my house, between my sons and myself, we have three AMD FX based ATX systems. An FX-6300 in my 11 year olds system with watercooling. My 15 year old took over my FX-8320 and also got a Corsair H80i GT as I did on sale on boxing day for $80 each(nice christmas present from Canada Computers Boxing Week)
He also used his christmas money to buy a Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 Mobo on sale this christmas and handed down his above mentioned FX-6300 and his Asus M5A97 to his younger brother. And I originally bought my Asus M5A99FX-Pro at christmas 2014 with that FX-8320 which I upgraded this Christmas to the FX-8370.

You could say that we believe that a family that builds systems and games together is a tight knit unit. And in this last year the boys took interest in O/Cing to get to the frame rates that they wanted to reach. So that is way I have moved away from my strict no O/Cing approach and decided to start to play around without blowing our annual budgets. I have always preached the virtues of cost effective, sensible purchasing decisions and logic to get there. It just makes no sense to spend $2-3+ thousand on a system you will want to upgrade to even more expense to keep up with the Jones, Singhs and Lee's who seem to think nothing of dropping far more money on gear than makes any sense or logic for playing games on...

Besides.... If I were the kind to want to show off and proclaim technological superiority, wouldn't it make more sense to be an Intel fanboy with an "advance at all cost" attitude?

P.S.>>> Besides being in the process of designing my own ATX two level cube case specifically intended for extreme modding and watercooling to the inth degree that was kinda inspired by the concept behind the CASELABS & Coolermasters Master Case Pro which have multiple aftermarket custom upgrades and mods... But priced to appeal to the mid to lower priced market.... $600 for a basic case seems kinda nuts when you're trying o save money by running AMD products and technology. I also have some plans for developing my own cnc machined watercooling concepts for AMD based Custom Loops. Things that I have yet to see in the market. Items that I am considering small production runs of and only selling online either directly or via Ebay. I am just in the process of the due diligence into the viability of this at the moment. And I'm not too sure if I will pursue it beyond the prototype stages. I'm hoping to get some input here when I have something to show eventually. But it won't happen fast since this is a sideline for me and I so have a limited budget for such projects.

Time will tell...

I hope to be spending more time here this year and I hope to get to know more of you in time.

Cheers! Louie

MWO is a bad game to check fps friend, it's very badly optimised especially if you're using max settings :) even then my old 8370 4.7ghz never managed to peak over ~90fps with FXAA and would drop to ~ 60fps if I tried to use MSAA/TXAA. Brilliant game yes, but needs single player campaign ;)

Sorry to derail, back to thread.

Back