• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED AMD FX - Throttling (not temp related)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Aw manz come on, we all know how goot et b 2 ovuhtick wit sofwar.

"trents" been doing them newbs a huge favor by not helping when software overclock is involved.

It is getting to be a real task just to know where to put your foot when you step-forward with some of this provided software.

try going into c/program files x86/amd, delete the aod file and see if that does the trick.

RGone, we noobs need the help, I know what effect the ht has but what it really does?????????? I'm a noob.

we noobs, before we discover we are idiots, don't really know where to go or how to find out, i have a thread in amd mobos and you are working my behind off making me answer my owe questions. Just finding the information is one thing as no one provides it, then decrypting it is a color of a different sheep

aldakoopa, are you running aod and/or cpuz? my first clue was when i was running prime 95 with cpuz watching the cpu tab, I was never able to get much over 4.2ghz at 55-59c, tweaked a little in my bios, upped vcore, raised my multi and boom!!!! re-ran prime 95 and magic, i was running 4.4 ghz but my fans were not coming to full speed. I thought, I am so aw some!!! I then went digging for what i had done and how. I opened openharwaremonitor and was looking it all over and started another pull with openhardwaremonitor and cpuz open. that's when i saw my temps at 47c, cpuz dead solid on 4400mgz, i was thrilled. i scrolled down open hardwaremonitor and saw the throttling. cpuz never picked it up.

Last edited:
i had removed aod and still had throttleing till i reformated, if i turnd core boost off most of the time i would kill the issue.

Ive only just reformatted 2 weeks ago when I couldnt install the BD update.

its seems the harder I try to get round this the worse the problem gets..

look at this for throttling... this is 2 test interations of prime 95 small fft's
. basicallly about 2 mins.. its like turbo is in reverse mode.

Attachments

• throttling.PNG
    throttling.PNG
    51.9 KB · Views: 403
RGone, we noobs need the help, I know what effect the ht has but what it really does?????????? I'm a noob.

we noobs, before we discover we are idiots, don't really know where to go or how to find out, i have a thread in amd mobos and you are working my behind off making me answer my owe questions. Just finding the information is one thing as no one provides it, then decrypting it is a color of a different sheep

Hey man no problem. I did not realize that you were working so hard to answer your question. Even then I am not sure you have spent more hours here lately or maybe we just tie for time spent. I have been looking for a 'real' AMD FX processor white paper like it was gold. But still not what I call good results. Just more pablum put out by AMD PR it seems.

I am betting even AMD does not know which is taking precedence of the cpu when they have PowerNow and TurboBoost both enabled on the cpu. The two seem to be in a tug-of-war that leaves us all wondering what in the heck is going on.

But my point about software for overclocking is still what I believe. Leave it alone in general, because of just what it has done here in this thread.

I have one friend that I might be able to get in touch with during the daytime that might have gotten some information. I will try to contact him tomorrow. Might strike out but I am getting short of other places to look for any ideas for us all.

Hey man no problem. I did not realize that you were working so hard to answer your question. Even then I am not sure you have spent more hours here lately or maybe we just tie for time spent. I have been looking for a 'real' AMD FX processor white paper like it was gold. But still not what I call good results. Just more pablum put out by AMD PR it seems.

I am betting even AMD does not know which is taking precedence of the cpu when they have PowerNow and TurboBoost both enabled on the cpu. The two seem to be in a tug-of-war that leaves us all wondering what in the heck is going on.

But my point about software for overclocking is still what I believe. Leave it alone in general, because of just what it has done here in this thread.

I have one friend that I might be able to get in touch with during the daytime that might have gotten some information. I will try to contact him tomorrow. Might strike out but I am getting short of other places to look for any ideas for us all.

Rgone your help is greatly appreiciated and I for one am thankful that your in this thread helping all BD owner out..

:thup:

Thanks "salsoul", I try to help because of the chase for answers. I might have tweaked "caddi daddi" a little too hard and and hate that I did not see it happening. I going to try and let up on him even if I did not know I was doing so.

I still hope I can find out something from that bud of mine. I don't know if he is working now with Intel or AMD boards. Maybe AMD and he might share some information with me if it is not NDA.

RGone, don't let up on me now, that's just letting me be lazy.
if you tell me to set my vcore to this and then set my nb to that, what have I learned???

sitting in the garage is my addiction, WE are the fastest non turbo Porsche 911 on the east coast, I have built and tweaked it hour after hour.
the only way I ever learned anything about driving was a hard a^$ed coach, not by letting someone else drive while i watched.

Well just crap. "caddi daddi" your board is dead right? "salsoul" you got disable C6 in bios? If you have disable C6 in bios then enable it and test. Just a hunch.

Wish I knew Linux. I found some Linux stuff that allows setting of C states and P states by software. But then how to test against windows stuff.

I had been ignoring this thread until I noticed the throttling issue while I was overclocking. It bugs the crap out of me now. Don't slow my processor down when it's under 100% load! That's counter-intuitive! :rofl:

I had been ignoring this thread until I noticed the throttling issue while I was overclocking. It bugs the crap out of me now. Don't slow my processor down when it's under 100% load! That's counter-intuitive! :rofl:

Welcome on board "The Throttle Boat" ... next stop is One AMD Place,Sunnyvale, California. hopefully this thread will get big enough for someone to step upto the plate and tell us what on earth is going on..

Rgone I will try what you suggested but I dont hold much hope.
I know c1/c6/apm/C&Q/are all disabled.. I ran Hw32 as that tells you the P-States and here it is.

Attachments

• cpb disabled.PNG
    cpb disabled.PNG
    3.2 KB · Views: 395
I found an errata for FX-6100 that said if C6 was disabled that that cpu would not go full P-state. So I am wondering if that is the only cpu. And what if any difference it might make. All this crap really is like pulling hens teeth. Hard as hale since I am sure AMD nor any mobo maker is wanting to answer up anything.

If you have cores on your processor that only bump max mhz now and again...well just how much performance can it have. WE all were shocked at the underperformance we all felt at FX release.

:comp:
I found an errata for FX-6100 that said if C6 was disabled that that cpu would not go full P-state. So I am wondering if that is the only cpu. And what if any difference it might make. All this crap really is like pulling hens teeth. Hard as hale since I am sure AMD nor any mobo maker is wanting to answer up anything.

If you have cores on your processor that only bump max mhz now and again...well just how much performance can it have. WE all were shocked at the underperformance we all felt at FX release.

As I feared no diffrence :bang head

do you know anything about LDT stop Tristate >?

before I dumped AMD-OD I took this screeny

off to work now , see you in 8hrs or so good luck Rgone happy hunting :salute:

Attachments

• AOD.PNG
    AOD.PNG
    19.5 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
aldakoopa, are you running aod and/or cpuz? my first clue was when i was running prime 95 with cpuz watching the cpu tab, I was never able to get much over 4.2ghz at 55-59c, tweaked a little in my bios, upped vcore, raised my multi and boom!!!! re-ran prime 95 and magic, i was running 4.4 ghz but my fans were not coming to full speed. I thought, I am so aw some!!! I then went digging for what i had done and how. I opened openharwaremonitor and was looking it all over and started another pull with openhardwaremonitor and cpuz open. that's when i saw my temps at 47c, cpuz dead solid on 4400mgz, i was thrilled. i scrolled down open hardwaremonitor and saw the throttling. cpuz never picked it up.

I'm assuming AOD is AMD Overdrive, which is a little confusing to me actually. Overdrive works on my GPU but it is permanently disabled on my CPU. I thought it was supposed to work on all Black Edition processors. :confused: Anyway, I was using CPUZ and HWmonitor to watch everything, and I only noticed it on CPUZ. Every few seconds it wil switch from a multiplier of 18 to 16.5, then back to 18, then back to 16.5...

No telling how many times I restarted my computer disabling this, and re-enabling that, trying to figure out what the deal was, but then I saw this thread and knew I wasn't alone.

The C6 option is a little weird in my BIOS. When I boot up on all the normal options, it's there and I think it's on "auto". If I disable it and go to another screen in the BIOS, then come back to recheck that everything is the way I want it before I exit, the C6 option is nowhere to be found. It just completely disappears. It even happens if I don't disable it and leave it alone on "auto", it will disappear. If I reboot, it doesn't come back unless I set all my options back to the standard configuration and restart.

I'm assuming AOD is AMD Overdrive, which is a little confusing to me actually. Overdrive works on my GPU but it is permanently disabled on my CPU. I thought it was supposed to work on all Black Edition processors. :confused: Anyway, I was using CPUZ and HWmonitor to watch everything, and I only noticed it on CPUZ. Every few seconds it wil switch from a multiplier of 18 to 16.5, then back to 18, then back to 16.5...

No telling how many times I restarted my computer disabling this, and re-enabling that, trying to figure out what the deal was, but then I saw this thread and knew I wasn't alone.

Welcome to "The Throttle Thread" :welcome: :bump:

Another One keep em coming... the more voices we have the louder the shout. hopefully someone will hear are cry !!!!

yeah AOD is Overdrive - overdrive will only work with the 7xxx series chipset 8xxx series chipset and 9xxx series chipset of your motherboard. If you have an nvidia chipset use nvidia inspector or whatever its called.. as it wont work with none AMD chipsets to control the CPU. (actuallly it doesnt work on amd chipsets properly either) :p

hope that helps.

regards

Sal.

Welcome to "The Throttle Thread" :welcome: :bump:

Another One keep em coming... the more voices we have the louder the shout. hopefully someone will hear are cry !!!!

yeah AOD is Overdrive - overdrive will only work with the 7xxx series chipset 8xxx series chipset and 9xxx series chipset of your motherboard. If you have an nvidia chipset use nvidia inspector or whatever its called.. as it wont work with none AMD chipsets to control the CPU. (actuallly it doesnt work on amd chipsets properly either) :p

hope that helps.

regards

Sal.
I have an AMD 880NB and 850SB. Guess mine's just not properly working. :bang head

Do any of the top mods/admin/tech writers on this forum have a way to contact someone in AMD direct to open a dialouge over this ?

we are running out of self help idea's and could do with an official word of some sorts.

I have submitted an Asus support ticket but piledriver will be out and will have undergone 6 refreshes before they respond.

perhaps we should all submit a support ticket to our MB manufacturers in the hope of finding an answer..

regards

Sal.

We all need to read this on Toms hardware http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-7-hotfix-bulldozer-performance,3119.html

they have address the throttling problem and possiblyhave a fix for certaion board, im still reading it so not sure....

apologies if you cant link to other websites.. mod please remove link if this is the case.. PM me for the link..

regards

Sal.

there is light at the end of the tunnel -seek and you shall find :D

Well turning HPC on disables the throttling, how do I turn on what I dont have grrrrr. 890fx does not have HPC setting in BIOS....

*********************taken from toms hardware-******************************
Although Microsoft helped AMD address how the Bulldozer architecture is addressed in less demanding workloads, there is still an issue we've seen on the FX-8150, where the 3.6 GHz part throttles down to 3.3 GHz under a full load. That’s probably considered a power-saving feature in densely-packed 2U servers. However, desktop users have the option to disable this strange step backward through the HPC Mode options exposed through recent firmware updates.

now I know what the cause is how to disable it through REGedit ?? anyone have a clue ? as this is not an option in the BIOS

regards

Sal.

Back