• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED AMD FX - Throttling (not temp related)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can't get rid of the throttling on mine. I might be doing it wrong but I don't know. :(

Oh well. It was worth a try.

Last edited:
I can't get rid of the throttling on mine. I might be doing it wrong but I don't know. :(

Oh well. It was worth a try.

Its quite tricky to do but it does work.

you need AMD-OD.

Start AMD OD > goto clock/voltage tab > click turbo core control > set turbo state 0 to your multi setting ie if your running @ 4.0ghz your multi might be x20 so set state 0 to x20 and click ok..

The important part is AMD OD will see your OCing and prompt you to turn off turbo for best results. If that dialog does not appear up the multi on state 0 another multi to x21 and then it should prompt you to disable..what ive also found out is that this dialog does not appear if your multi is lower than x20 in normal state (non turbo)it just doenst promt you.

thats it..

as I said its quite fiddly so keep trying..

I might try and capture what amd OD is acutally doing when it disables Turbocore using wininstall LE (packaging software) that takes a before and after shot of your pc you can then compare to see which files if any have been changed..It could then be possible to script this at startup to do automatically. but I have a feeling OD is changing .sys files and im not sure If I can capture that.

If anyone can chime in with a better way of finding this out please add your thoughts to this thread.

laters

Sal.

Last edited:
Its quite tricky to do but it does work.

you need AMD-OD.

Start AMD OD > goto clock/voltage tab > click turbo core control > set turbo state 0 to your multi setting ie if your running @ 4.0ghz your multi might be x20 so set state 0 to x20 and click ok..

The important part is AMD OD will see your OCing and prompt you to turn off turbo for best results. If that dialog does not appear up the multi on state 0 another multi to x21 and then it should prompt you to disable..what ive also found out is that this dialog does not appear if your multi is lower than x20 in normal state (non turbo)it just doenst promt you.

thats it..

as I said its quite fiddly so keep trying..

I might try and capture what amd OD is acutally doing when it disables Turbocore using wininstall LE (packaging software) that takes a before and after shot of your pc you can then compare to see which files if any have been changed..It could then be possible to script this at startup to do automatically. but I have a feeling OD is changing .sys files and im not sure If I can capture that.

If anyone can chime in with a better way of finding this out please add your thoughts to this thread.

laters

Sal.

Do I have to overclock in AOD? Because OD only lets me set my non-turbo multiplier to 18.5. =/

Do I have to overclock in AOD? Because OD only lets me set my non-turbo multiplier to 18.5. =/

The reason for that is that your turbo setting is too low I think its a bug.

Increasing either state 0 or state1 to x21 will allow you to increase the base multi (non turbo) to minimum x20..

set your fsb to 200 and then set your mutli to x20 in the BIOS turn turbo off in the BIOS and then boot.. open AMD -OD and increase turbo state 0 to x21 and state 1 x22..... this is going to be disabled. you should then get the promt to disable turbomode

im at work atm I will be back online in a few hours to help you further

regards

Sal.

The reason for that is that your turbo setting is too low I think its a bug.

Increasing either state 0 or state1 to x21 will allow you to increase the base multi (non turbo) to minimum x20..

set your fsb to 200 and then set your mutli to x20 in the BIOS turn turbo off in the BIOS and then boot.. open AMD -OD and increase turbo state 0 to x21 and state 1 x22..... this is going to be disabled. you should then get the promt to disable turbomode

im at work atm I will be back online in a few hours to help you further

regards

Sal.

I tried what you said tonight and got it working now without throttling. Thanks for the help!

This only works for me untill i have to restart my PC. Then it just reverts to throttling again.

I have read and try it all still not work here :( the cpu keep Throttling ,temps are good I have the Crosshair H100 , or can someone do a remote control and look for me ??

thank you everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, I have noticed when using this method that my voltages are not what i set them in BIOS. I overclocked via bios, then I used your technique setting the TURBO mult and voltage to what I have in BIOS. 1.38 Volts and 4.5 ghz.

I switched on cpuz hardware monitor and my voltage spiked at 1.55 volt and maintained at around 1.44 until it got hot enough to lock my pc up.

Hey, I have noticed when using this method that my voltages are not what i set them in BIOS. I overclocked via bios, then I used your technique setting the TURBO mult and voltage to what I have in BIOS. 1.38 Volts and 4.5 ghz.

I switched on cpuz hardware monitor and my voltage spiked at 1.55 volt and maintained at around 1.44 until it got hot enough to lock my pc up.

Hi,

This is a theroy of mine exactly about that, Ive noticed extra heat also when turinig throttling off.

I think that because all of the cores are worrking at full it requires more voltage so therefore more heat. I think LLC would be the culprit here.. the cpu wants more voltage and LLC gives it.. same happens to me. I found with throttling disabled I wasnt able to maintain the heat on my 5ghz testing, so much so I had to decrease my OCing efforts in order to keep the temps within what is deemed 24/7 safeish i.e 55c core so I have ended up with 4.7Ghz Oc with 1.42v vore LLC full calibration which spkies to 1.48v under prime95. still trying but cant seem to break 5.0ghz far too much heat and voltage. the CPU NB requires @ 2200mhz @ 1.17v (stock) Ive Oced by 50mhz on CPUNB & requires +0.07v 1.21 bios 1.25 LLC under load for stablility ive found.

Also you could check the CPUVID in OD sometimes that does jump up to 1.4125 all by itself. If your OCing in the BIOS use the default cpuvid as I do. default for me when turbo is disabled is 1.3500 cpuvid

hop that helps.

Also here is a picture of the dialog box that you need to see in order to disable throttling. once you see that click yes. and throttling is off. (until a restart) rinse and repeat.

If you dont get that dialog box when turning on turbocore firstly decrease base multi by 0.5 and then click apply then increase your base x multi up 0.5 that is 1 notch and click apply. you should then see it.

good luck

Attachments

• turbodisable.PNG
    turbodisable.PNG
    52.3 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Yeah, i got that box and your technique does indeed work, however ever since i have done that even after a restart my voltages are not what i set them in bios and they are also not what they are in AOD

1. AMD tutorial on AOD says to close all other applications.

2. "neo668" in his thread A Prime95 Question, just chased all over the place with AOD and his MSI monitor and dorked voltages and found the his M$ Security Essentials was dorking up his voltages.That is the problem with software overclocking as most of us believe.

3. But then again this is new territory with the FX series clocking up and down on both current draw and temperature.

4. U might try closing applications before opening AOD.

Not but two pages at the link and at least 5-6 posts of the first page was about Turbo off without AOD.

PS: I added another link to that post of mine just above.

Not but two pages at the link and at least 5-6 posts of the first page was about Turbo off without AOD.

PS: I added another link to that post of mine just above.

Oh, sorry, I didn't notice the whole text was a link. (even with it being blue) :facepalm:

I GOT A PERMA FIX!

Hey guys, I did a little browsing on the internets and I watched a video where someone claimed that switching to the f10g BIOS for the 990xa ud3 would unlock a new power management feature that you could then turn off. I think it was called APM.

Well I flashed my BIOS, did that and then I managed to brick my computer because it wouldn't do anything at all. No vid, No usb power no nothing. I took out the CMOS for about a min and that didnt work. I tried the power switch trick and that wouldnt work.. I then once again removed the cmos and left it out for prob 10 mins... And then that fixed it..

So then i check my BIOS out and it says default voltage for my CPU is like 1.4 volt for my bulldozer... Im like thats bologna. But i boot it anyway and its like running 1.2

So then I go to AOD and go to turbo core and set it to what my stock voltage should be and I then UN-installed AOD to fix this issue.

But as of right now, I have a properly working non throttling bulldozer ( :

Hey guys, I did a little browsing on the internets and I watched a video where someone claimed that switching to the f10g BIOS for the 990xa ud3 would unlock a new power management feature that you could then turn off. I think it was called APM.

Well I flashed my BIOS, did that and then I managed to brick my computer because it wouldn't do anything at all. No vid, No usb power no nothing. I took out the CMOS for about a min and that didnt work. I tried the power switch trick and that wouldnt work.. I then once again removed the cmos and left it out for prob 10 mins... And then that fixed it..

So then i check my BIOS out and it says default voltage for my CPU is like 1.4 volt for my bulldozer... Im like thats bologna. But i boot it anyway and its like running 1.2

So then I go to AOD and go to turbo core and set it to what my stock voltage should be and I then UN-installed AOD to fix this issue.

But as of right now, I have a properly working non throttling bulldozer ( :

glad to hear you got it sorted..

:attn:

Back