• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd fx8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, I finally decided to pull the sticks and test them one at a time, and low and behold, only using one stick I can run the memory multiplier at 9.33 for the 1866 MHz speed and the computer will not shut off when running any of the benchmarks :/ Gonna try the other stick in the board and see what happens. Might have to do that later tonight (have to go to work), but I will give my results. Oh, and all the freqs and voltages are set to auto while doing this. Seems like I have a bad stick after all :(

I've tested both sticks of ram by using only one at a time in the board, and they both check out ok, even at 1866 MHz. Put them both in the board, in slots 1 and 2, and system will turn off when running memory benchmarks. As for upping the cpu nb voltage, I don't think I even have an option for doing that in my bios. The options for voltages are:
cpu vcore
nb core
ht link voltage
nb/pcie/pll voltage
cpu pll voltage
nb voltage

a few others like dram I know don't apply for that. So...is there another way to increase the voltage for the cpu nb by 0.1v from within windows?
I've tried AMD Overdrive, but although the slider for it moves up and down, it has no effect (according to AIDA64).

Last edited:
The NB_Core would be the option you are after, set it around 1.2 - 1.25v. Like RGone said you are not the first to have problems with a UD3 Rev3 board. Here's athread about the 990FXUD3 R3 which you may want to have a look at. Post #27 he gives a list of issues with that board. Memory isn't on his list but it is a different chipset. We've seen similar issues to your from some MSI boards though.
Try the NBcore voltage and raise the ram voltage. See if you can get it to run at 1866. You have the board now so we'll see if we can get it to run.

What voltage does the "nb core" say in the bios? That may be the Cpu Nb V that needs to be adjusted.

the nb core in bios says 1.2 and checking with what aida64, it is reading 1.1875v. Let me shut her down and play with that voltage... I think I've already tried raising it before and the board refused to post, but I may have been tinkering with other settings at the same time. check back in a few.....

edit: oh, and amd overdrive is showing 1.1875 in the nb vid as well, but when using the slider to adjust it, it won't change the value.

oh, my bad... it's the nb voltage that shows 1.1v. The nb core has the option to +/- by .005 increments, which I have already set it to +0.1 with no positive improvement. If I set the nb voltage to anything higher than default, the computer either will not post, or if it does get into windows, will freeze in less than a minute. Here's a couple of screenshots of my bios

The only way my system is stable with both sticks of ram in it is when the memory multiplier is set to 4.00

Attachments

• default speed.bmp
    311.4 KB · Views: 71
  • default voltage.bmp
    292.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
well thats a no go... I set the nb core to +0.125 assuming the default is 1.1 and it shuts off trying to boot into windows. The options for nb core are auto, normal, and .025 increments from -0.800 to +0.775.

Do you have any LLC options on that board?? If so set them manually to regular. Hard to say what it does on manual. Then try the NB_core v to 1.25 again. Does normal on the voltage let you put in your own value?? And set the ram voltage to 1.6v don't worry that won't hurt it. Then set the timings manually to the setting under the 933 box in CPU-z

Tried everything in the above post and had to reset my cmos just to be able to get back into the bios. I'm about to give up on this board. I can either run with 8g of ram set to its lowest settings and get scores like this, or run with 4g of ram at 1866MHz and score just a little better.

:facepalm:

Attachments

• test score.bmp
    924.2 KB · Views: 61
Well, after a few days of checking and messing with all my voltages, I decided to try a different power supply. Apparently, HP omits five wires on their ATX connectors and that obviously was the reason my system wouldn't run on the higher ram settings. Go figure... 2 weeks of trying everything under the sun and it was the least thing I expected to be wrong. You would think that a 850 Watt power supply that works in an HP computer would work on any computer. Way to go HP... make your proprietary power supply only work with your HP computers. Any ways, thanks for all the help!!

Attachments

• yay.bmp
    511.1 KB · Views: 50
I'm guessing that my computer was shutting off because of an overload protection due to either; one of the missing 5 volt wires, or just too much current being drawn all together on the 5 volt rail. Anyways, here's what my benchmark scores look like now :) Still a little disappointed in some of the scores, but oh well it works now :clap:

Attachments

• mem mark.bmp
    694.9 KB · Views: 48
  • mem latency.bmp
    989.5 KB · Views: 49
Edit done. Can finally finish putting this thing together now. Had to reinstall Windows because of all the crashes, but it's all good :)

Back